Raystrx350d

88trx350d

On 2/23/2023 at 8:32 AM, Goober said:

At least you’re learning the ignition system!!  Are you gettin a new pulse generator? 

While waiting for parts, continue to inspect and perform electrical checks on wires you may have jostled while doing your other repair work. Use the schematic to double check the kill switch at all those connections on the right front of the quad.

get some contact cleaner, permatex dielectric grease and a few plumbers flux brushes. Maybe a brass and nylon gun cleaning brushes. not steel brush. Disconnect and clean all those connections while you’re doing continuity checks—apply a thin film of the grease on the electrical contacts and the backshell of the connectors—you’ll find they snap together and disconnect more easily.

Look for weak wires on the harness and subharness. every time i went to start mine i had a steady neutral light. When i cranked it the light would go out. So I swapped the neutral and reverse leads and tried again. Of course the reverse light came on steady and i got it to start—that was a hallelujah moment, because i knew the malfunction was isolated to the neutral wire portion of the circuit. i found the neutral switch connector wire hanging by 2-3 strands. 

Does your fan come on? Disconnect the oil temp sensor lead and touch it to the footpeg. The oil light should come on steady and fan should come on 

Yes fan comes on when grounded. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 5:33 PM, Raystrx350d said:

Give me just a min and I will

ROFL.

Shade knows his stuff, but he's not know for being a patient helper.....

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

ROFL.

Shade knows his stuff, but he's not know for being a patient helper.....

you lie !..lol. i spoke to him on the phone..soo..take that !...lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

Lol.. he was very informative and patient with me. Stand up guy!! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

Lol.. he was very informative and patient with me. Stand up guy!! 

Yeah he is.  I give him a hard time, but he knows his crap and has walked most of us through some hard stuff. 

We all like to tease him to get a reaction, but if you listen to him your crap will run again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, shadetree said:

Still waiting on parts.. be in touch when they come in and get it on.

• Like 1

You’ll find it no doubt. Then you’ll have some hard-to-find spare modules 

You have aftermarket fuel pump on it?

the coil may have color codes on the housing. The important thing about a coil is you have primary and secondary windings. The secondary has more windings (usually) and so the resistance values are different.

So if you can’t tell the poles apart. Consult the service manual on coil measurements and put the meter to it.
This is why Fish said to remove the coil spark plug cap. Then you inspect the spark plug wire for corrosion and nip off a bit. Then clean the spike end of the cap with a .22 cal bore brush

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Goober said:

the coil may have color codes on the housing. The important thing about a coil is you have primary and secondary windings. The secondary has more windings (usually) and so the resistance values are different.

So if you can’t tell the poles apart. Consult the service manual on coil measurements and put the meter to it.
This is why Fish said to remove the coil spark plug cap. Then you inspect the spark plug wire for corrosion and nip off a bit. Then clean the spike end of the cap with a .22 cal bore brush

I do have a after market fuel pump on it, which hasn't been working unless you put power to it with a probe. Odd enough a friend had a cdi box off of a late 90s honda. I plugged it in a heard the fuel pump click on! And it pumps or pulses when spinning it over. Still no spark though.  Btw missed fishes post but have tried 4 or 5 coils 2 I knew was working 3  new aftermarket that is in specs. Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 5:51 PM, shadetree said:

fuel relay gets its power signal from the pick up coil. this is why the fuel pump only pumps when the engine is being cranked over.

I tried, has voltage going to fuel pump relay.  Won't pump when spinning over .. a guy had a 2000 honda fourtrax cdi box .. plugged it in.. heard fuel pump or relay click and with that cdi box the fuel pump works.. still no spark though. Thanks!

On 3/1/2023 at 10:16 PM, Goober said:

Got it fixed thanks so much!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raystrx350d said:

Got it fixed thanks so much!!

What was the problem , someone else might be following the thread 

I posted the problem on shadetrees post. He had me to put the old stator back in and there was a bad wire in the harness ( stator ) harness. I posted it there because I see so many people not come back and post the problem to help someone else. Thanks again for all the help. If not for Shadetree I would have gave up on it lol.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I tease shade a lot on these forms, but I tease all my friends. 

Few people in this world know as much about old Hondas as he does, and even fewer will take the time to use that knowledge to help out another.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

He's a stand up guy! He was really good helping me.. & I definitely appreciate it..like I said before if it wasn't for him I would have probably gave up on it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

20230323_000513.jpg

ooooooooo... a blue one !!..thats solid gold right there ray !!.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ooooooooo... a blue one !!..thats solid gold right there ray !!.

Thanks for all your help!! Not sure if you saw the other messages or not but wooo hooo got fire!! I really appreciate your help.. if not for you I would have Gave up on it ..

9 minutes ago, Raystrx350d said:

Thanks for all your help!! Not sure if you saw the other messages or not but wooo hooo got fire!! I really appreciate your help.. if not for you I would have Gave up on it ..

all good ray, glad i could help a bro in need !.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, shadetree said:

On 3/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, shadetree said:

20230331_151913.jpg

20230331_151913.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Raystrx350d said:

20230331_151913.jpg

20230331_151913.jpg

Thanks again shadetree, runs great. I had some old lemon twist yellow and black laying around and this is the result lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

Thanks again shadetree, runs great. I had some old lemon twist yellow and black laying around and this is the result lol

Too good! I'm not laughing at the change, but at the impending response Rolf! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

i hate yellow, and what the heck is up with the yamaha rims ??..thats a honda sin !!!..lol.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, shadetree said:

i hate yellow, and what the heck is up with the yamaha rims ??..thats a honda sin !!!..lol.

I honestly didn't know they were yamaha rims lol.. just paint I had laying around I was broke you made me buy all honda parts lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Too good! I'm not laughing at the change, but at the impending response Rolf! 

Lol I was expecting a a** chewing 😅 

• Haha 1