Raystrx350d

88trx350d

here is the part number that should be on the box ----> 30401-HA7-670 , if it does not have his part number on the box ?, then you got the wrong c.d.i.

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

here is the part number that should be on the box ----> 30401-HA7-670 , if it does not have his part number on the box ?, then you got the wrong c.d.i.

Doesn't match your part number, I included pictures of old and new cdi and part number 

20230225_183952.jpg

20230225_183911.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Raystrx350d said:

Doesn't match your part number, I included pictures of old and new cdi and part number 

20230225_183952.jpg

20230225_183911.jpg

wrong c.d.i. !.

• Like 1

the part number i posted above ^^^^^^..that is straight off rmatv, which only sells oem honda, and that part number is for a 1988 trx350D only !!!!.

and i don't give a rats behind what letters are stamped on the connector ?..that is not the correct c.d.i. !.

Just now, shadetree said:

wrong c.d.i. !.

Well I thought it would be the same with the C1545 on it...honda says this is the part number for i🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, shadetree said:

the part number i posted above ^^^^^^..that is straight off rmatv, which only sells oem honda, and that part number is for a 1988 trx350D only !!!!.

I'll check them out, thanks 

15 minutes ago, shadetree said:

That part # is for the rubber piece that holds the cdi... 

17 minutes ago, Raystrx350d said:

That part # is for the rubber piece that holds the cdi... 

This is what I come up with , using Partzilla 

1988 TRX350D fits 1988 and 1989 

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE

30410-HA7-650

by Honda

Currently Unavailable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE

30410-HA7-650

by Honda

Currently Unavailable.

i do not use partzilla, i use rmatv=rock mountain atv, look yer bike up there, yu'll see that the part numbers do not match partzilla's.

• Like 1

Partzilla ^^^^ is not the cheapest , but , to me they have the best parts breakdowns ----- so parts that are " available " ,  check prices on other sites before you buy 

if for some reason you do have the correct c.d.i. ?, then this tells me you got something wrong with other ele parts on your bike.

• Like 2

Just now, shadetree said:

if for some reason you do have the correct c.d.i. ?, then this tells me you got something wrong with other ele parts on your bike.

Looks like you looked up the wrong part , you gave him the part number for the cushion , not the cdi 

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Looks like you looked up the wrong part , you gave him the part number for the cushion , not the cdi 

yep..you are right..my bad...long day for me..and its not going well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

IGNITION CONTROL MODULE

30410-HA7-650

by Honda

Currently Unavailable.

sorry, you do have the correct cd.i.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Partzilla ^^^^ is not the cheapest , but , to me they have the best parts breakdowns ----- so parts that are " available " ,  check prices on other sites before you buy 

the c.d.i. is discontinued.

• Like 1

We know that the CDI is unavailable , just looking it up cause you said it was the wrong part number cdi on his 88 350d 

The CDI cushion is still available

CUSHION

30401-HA7-670

by Honda

$9.60 2% OFF

$9.38
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Raystrx350d said:

Thought so... still at a loss.

i'm going to pm you.

Thanks for clearing up that he has correct CDI; the other thing i want to clear up is that the 87 TRX350D is the one-year only CDI.

also @Raystrx350d when you “probe the fan lead with 12vdc,” that’s not the same as what i recommended. In the manual “oil cooling system diagnostics” the exact method is to remove the lead as @shadetree said and touch it to the footpeg. This closes the oil temp sensor circuit thru the fan control unit, which energizes the fan circuit.

Being inexperienced at troubleshooting, you’re still trying to understand component nomenclature, principles of operation, troubleshooting techniques and the problems with aftermarket parts. Don’t give up just yet. Rely on the manual—read the troubleshooting guides.

Also i would not use probes that pierce the wire sheath; is that what you’re using? 

Edited by Goober
  • Like 1

I don’t think you answered my question about the pulse generator. When you measured resistance at the pulse generator did you measure it at the leads under the right side cover? That’s the shortest length of wire through the unit. 
if that’s when you got 400 ohms that’s out of spec.

16 hours ago, Goober said:

Thanks for clearing up that he has correct CDI; the other thing i want to clear up is that the 87 TRX350D is the one-year only CDI.

also @Raystrx350d when you “probe the fan lead with 12vdc,” that’s not the same as what i recommended. In the manual “oil cooling system diagnostics” the exact method is to remove the lead as @shadetree said and touch it to the footpeg. This closes the oil temp sensor circuit thru the fan control unit, which energizes the fan circuit.

Being inexperienced at troubleshooting, you’re still trying to understand component nomenclature, principles of operation, troubleshooting techniques and the problems with aftermarket parts. Don’t give up just yet. Rely on the manual—read the troubleshooting guides.

Also i would not use probes that pierce the wire sheath; is that what you’re using? 

I did ground the oil temp light and the fan did come on... thanks!!

16 hours ago, Goober said:

I don’t think you answered my question about the pulse generator. When you measured resistance at the pulse generator did you measure it at the leads under the right side cover? That’s the shortest length of wire through the unit. 
if that’s when you got 400 ohms that’s out

Sorry I missed your question, yes that where I measured it at .. 400 ohm.. spinning it over and measuring it comes down to 360

On 2/25/2023 at 6:34 PM, shadetree said:

for the record, i've been doing this 30 yrs..i know these models inside out...there ain't much about them i do not know ?!..lol.

I've never doubted you're not qualified, it's me I'm doubting lol