Empty_Pockets

No lights or spark

Did you inspect the slide in the carb, make sure it's moving and doesn't have any holes in it?   I still think your problem is not carb related, but a stuck slide might not let it rev up.

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If it still dies out under throttle, you have an electrical/timing/valve issue, not a carb issue.  Figure out what else you have going on before you drop money on a carb you might not need.

05-06 350 Rancher and 04 Foreman 450FM are well under $200 for OEM new.  I had a spare new 350 Rancher carb in my shop I put on my buddies 450 just to see if his stumbling was the carb or something else, and it ran like a top, so he ordered a new OEM carb for his 450 and it was about $160.

that's why I am thinking CDI box or Pulse generator.  It maybe that one of them is going bad but its not bad enough yet to cause no spark, like maybe the capacitor went bad in the CDI box but it is still enough to let it idle but cant keep up when under throttle. I have a CDI box coming tomorrow from amazon, will switch that out to see if its that if no change then I will return it and try the pulse generator when it comes in. 

yes the slide works fine. I Can blow air into the carb and the slide goes up and goes back down when I let off the air.

Tried the new CDI box today and the new one wouldn't even start it while the old one will. which means either the new CDI box is bad or its not getting enough voltage to  produce spark or its wired wrong. the new OEM Honda pulse generator comes in sometime between the 7th and 9th. hopefully it is that and not the stator.

Have you checked the battery voltage while the machine is idling? You should be getting 13-14 volts while it's running. If all your getting is battery voltage the regulator/rectifier could be starting to get bad and it will mess with the ignition.

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

Have you checked the battery voltage while the machine is idling? You should be getting 13-14 volts while it's running. If all your getting is battery voltage the regulator/rectifier could be starting to get bad and it will mess with the ignition.

Yes did that today. The voltage regulator is bad and the stator is weak. gonna change the stator, voltage regulator and pulse generator when parts come in.

Well it was either the stator or the pulse generator that was bad. Changed both and it revs like it should. there was a little smoke so i checked the valves and one was a little out  by about 4 thousandths.  but now i have another problem, the gear position switch is messed up and i cant find another one anywhere. was thinking of doing the neutral switch mod.

9 hours ago, Empty_Pockets said:

Well it was either the stator or the pulse generator that was bad. Changed both and it revs like it should. there was a little smoke so i checked the valves and one was a little out  by about 4 thousandths.  but now i have another problem, the gear position switch is messed up and i cant find another one anywhere. was thinking of doing the neutral switch mod.

also look for a trx450 gear position switch, same switch, both the 400 and 450 use the same part.