EdInArk

New ... really old guy

My brother-in-law left me a 2006 Honda TRX350 when he died recently, and I'm working on it trying to get it going for use around the place.

Right off, none of the lights on the dash would come on with the key.  So I checked the main fuse, and there wasn't one.  Well, that could be a problem.   So I put a fuse in it, and it blew immediately.  After pulling the cowling and checking carefully for frayed wires and finding none, it occurred to me, while lying in bed late one night thinking about it, that the battery could be in it backward  And sure enough, when I checked it the next day, the battery posts were opposite what they should be.  I assume he went to Walmart and bought a battery that looked like the OEM and just didn't notice that it was a mirror image.  Anyway, I corrected that problem, threw a couple of quarts of gas in it, and after a few seconds of sputtering and popping it started and idled.

So, then I checked the air filter, and it was lying in pieces at the bottom of the air box.  I've about decided this thing's likely to be more frustrating than it's worth.  LOL

Anyway, I don't get much time to tinker with it now, but hopefully I'll have his affairs down to a dull roar within a couple of months and get my other home projects sorted and get back on it.

Watch carefully for an old coot with stupid questions.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, EdInArk said:

My brother-in-law left me a 2006 Honda TRX350 when he died recently, and I'm working on it trying to get it going for use around the place.

Right off, none of the lights on the dash would come on with the key.  So I checked the main fuse, and there wasn't one.  Well, that could be a problem.   So I put a fuse in it, and it blew immediately.  After pulling the cowling and checking carefully for frayed wires and finding none, it occurred to me, while lying in bed late one night thinking about it, that the battery could be in it backward  And sure enough, when I checked it the next day, the battery posts were opposite what they should be.  I assume he went to Walmart and bought a battery that looked like the OEM and just didn't notice that it was a mirror image.  Anyway, I corrected that problem, threw a couple of quarts of gas in it, and after a few seconds of sputtering and popping it started and idled.

So, then I checked the air filter, and it was lying in pieces at the bottom of the air box.  I've about decided this thing's likely to be more frustrating than it's worth.  LOL

Anyway, I don't get much time to tinker with it now, but hopefully I'll have his affairs down to a dull roar within a couple of months and get my other home projects sorted and get back on it.

Watch carefully for an old coot with stupid questions.

welcome to the forums. lot's of old members here !..prob more older than younger ?!..lol. you are in great hands here. going by yer screen name, i take it you are in arkansas ?.

• Like 1

Hi, welcome to ATVHonda! 1st thing you'll learn here is to always use genuine Honda parts for replacements. China knockoffs don't work at all. Have fun!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, retro said:

Hi, welcome to ATVHonda! 1st thing you'll learn here is to always use genuine Honda parts for replacements. China knockoffs don't work at all. Have fun!

Yes.  I'm an old Arkansas  boy.  We live just outside SW Little Rock out in the woods but near town.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

welcome to the forums. lot's of old members here !..prob more older than younger ?!..lol. you are in great hands here. going by yer screen name, i take it you are in arkansas ?.

I've ridden Japanese bikes for 57 years and have often found it best to use OEM parts.  Oil filters and the like I'll go with a good brand like Amsoil or Wix, but engine and drivetrain parts I usually buy from Partzilla.

Thanks to all for the welcome.

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now with my brother-in-law's death; I've been charged with selling a bunch of his stuff, and it's taking a bunch of my time.  I've got a motorcycle in my shop I'm trying to repair, and it's fighting me every step of the way.  Then we took a lightening strike last Friday, and I'm having to do a lot of stuff to install new printers, yada, yada.

I may get back on this 4-wheeler by spring 🙂  

1 hour ago, EdInArk said:

Yes.  I'm an old Arkansas  boy.  We live just outside SW Little Rock out in the woods but near town.

I've ridden Japanese bikes for 57 years and have often found it best to use OEM parts.  Oil filters and the like I'll go with a good brand like Amsoil or Wix, but engine and drivetrain parts I usually buy from Partzilla.

Thanks to all for the welcome.

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now with my brother-in-law's death; I've been charged with selling a bunch of his stuff, and it's taking a bunch of my time.  I've got a motorcycle in my shop I'm trying to repair, and it's fighting me every step of the way.  Then we took a lightening strike last Friday, and I'm having to do a lot of stuff to install new printers, yada, yada.

I may get back on this 4-wheeler by spring 🙂  

i'm in north little rock, good to have some one close by !. i've had my share of a few motorcycle rebuilds, what kinda motorcycle are you working on ?, anything i could do help you out ?, let me know !. ditch partzilla, go to rocky mountain atv, the prices are alot cheaper than partzilla, and they have cheaper shipping !, partzilla wants you to order 149 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping, where is rocky mountain atv only makes you buy 75 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping. my '' black beast '' is a 1985 vf700c magna,v4..love it !.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard from another Arky.  I'm way over East.

Sorry for the circumstances of your visit here in regards to your Brother in Law.

The 350 Ranchers are some nimble neat little machines.  Lots of easy upgrades available using parts from other Hondas too. 

Stick around.  We talk about other things here too!

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

i'm in north little rock, good to have some one close by !. i've had my share of a few motorcycle rebuilds, what kinda motorcycle are you working on ?, anything i could do help you out ?, let me know !. ditch partzilla, go to rocky mountain atv, the prices are alot cheaper than partzilla, and they have cheaper shipping !, partzilla wants you to order 149 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping, where is rocky mountain atv only makes you buy 75 bucks worth of parts to get free shipping. my '' black beast '' is a 1985 vf700c magna,v4..love it !.

The motorcycle is my 2013 FJR1300.  I'm just rebuilding the forks, but it's fighting me tooth and nail.  And getting parts has been frustrating.  The first order of seals and bushings too two weeks getting here.  Then I ordered two circlips that were "In stock"  Wednesday, the 22nd, paid for "expedited shipping" and they took a week getting here.  Yeah, I think Partzilla has seen the last of me.  Rocky Mountain is well established.  I'll give them a try next time.  

Drop me a private message and I'll keep you posted on rides.  I ride with a group of very nice folks out of Hot Springs Village.

4 minutes ago, EdInArk said:

The motorcycle is my 2013 FJR1300.  I'm just rebuilding the forks, but it's fighting me tooth and nail.  And getting parts has been frustrating.  The first order of seals and bushings too two weeks getting here.  Then I ordered two circlips that were "In stock"  Wednesday, the 22nd, paid for "expedited shipping" and they took a week getting here.  Yeah, I think Partzilla has seen the last of me.  Rocky Mountain is well established.  I'll give them a try next time.  

Drop me a private message and I'll keep you posted on rides.  I ride with a group of very nice folks out of Hot Springs Village.

word of caution with partzilla about parts being in stock !!. if you do not sign in ?, they list the parts in stock, but once you sign in ?, then they show the parts NOT in stock ?!!.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard from another Arky.  I'm way over East.

Sorry for the circumstances of your visit here in regards to your Brother in Law.

The 350 Ranchers are some nimble neat little machines.  Lots of easy upgrades available using parts from other Hondas too. 

Stick around.  We talk about other things here too!

Do you talk about oil?  Those can go for decades on other forums 👿

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, retro said:

Rotella T6 fanboy here! :classic_biggrin:

I love it when people argue that T6 is for diesels and shouldn't be used in motorcycles.  Then I get to point out the JASO MA2 specification on the label.  😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, EdInArk said:

Do you talk about oil?  Those can go for decades on other forums 👿

Oh yeah!  We even argue about it!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdInArk said:

I love it when people argue that T6 is for diesels and shouldn't be used in motorcycles.  Then I get to point out the JASO MA2 specification on the label.  😃

Hi welcome to the site ----

Love to argue oil certifications myself ----  I'll argue a step farther than you ,  Rotella doesn't have to be " T6 " to use in a Honda , conventional  Rotella doesn't have friction modifiers ( which is the killer of wet clutches ) Rotella is fine for motorcycle wet clutches  , it doesn't have the B.S. certification sticker that everyone is so up tight about , only cause it cost Shell to test for that certification , so not all their blends are tested for " JASO MA2  " , you pay more for the testing , doesn't mean they will not perform just as well 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hi welcome to the site ----

Love to argue oil certifications myself ----  I'll argue a step farther than you ,  Rotella doesn't have to be " T6 " to use in a Honda , conventional  Rotella doesn't have friction modifiers ( which is the killer of wet clutches ) Rotella is fine for motorcycle wet clutches  , it doesn't have the B.S. certification sticker that everyone is so up tight about , only cause it cost Shell to test for that certification , so not all their blends are tested for " JASO MA2  " , you pay more for the testing , doesn't mean they will not perform just as well 

T4 also has the JASO MA2 specification.  🙂  

And here I am on my very first day, and I've managed to turn a perfectly good "Welcome aboard" thread into an oil thread.  😃

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EdInArk said:

And here I am on my very first day, and I've managed to turn a perfectly good "Welcome aboard" thread into an oil thread.  😃

What’s your handle on BITOG?

I would wager that T5 would also be JASO MA if Rotella paid to have it certified as such.  

That said, I run the T6 in everything unless I’m breaking in a new engine.  T4 for new engine break-in.

15 minutes ago, EdInArk said:

better stay out of the tire threads then ?!..lol.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the forums.... I couldn't Agee more ^^^^ less you like real entertainment ! I usally grab a bag of popcorn and watch the fireworks..... Lol! 

35 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Welcome to the forums.... I couldn't Agee more ^^^^ less you like real entertainment ! I usally grab a bag of popcorn and watch the fireworks..... Lol! 

People do tend to way overthink that stuff.  It can be entertaining, for sure.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What’s you handle on BITOG?

I would wager that T5 would also be JASO MA if Rotella paid to have it certified as such.  

That said, I run the T6 in everything unless I’m breaking in a new engine.  T4 for new engine break-in.

Oddly, T5 doesn't have the JASO MA2 specification.  You'd think that since it's a blend of two things that do that it would.  But they'd need to submit it for testing, and maybe they just didn't bother since T6 and T4 are so popular among motorcyclists.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

better stay out of the tire threads then ?!..lol.

Heaven forbid 😉 

• Like 1