riverc

Rear Tine Tiller

I sold my Front Tine Tiller and ordered a new Rear Tine Tiller, it shipped today should get it soon. Anyone here own one if so do you like it?

The neighbor widow has an old Troy built rear tine tiller.  I maintain it and till her garden every spring.  Keep it greased and learn to let it do the work and you'll love it.

• Like 1

I had a rear tine Craftsman , I am  sre someone made it for Sears , I had bought it used  , it was garage kept clean , used it one year , it worked great , they say rear tine is the best way to go , I think I told you before the soil wasn't right , the  garden did not do well over here on the North Shore , gave up on gardening ---- it looked like this  one 

image.png

I've only used the Honda mid tine tillers but I believe even Hondas biggest tiller was a rear tine so it wasn't so "jumpy" when in hard ground. We always use the tractor and disk on the garden area so we don't have that issue, very often, when getting it ready.

• Like 1

Fish, the one I sold and the new one are both Champion. They both have 212cc 7hp motors, the front tine was strong it did a good job. The front tine gives your body a good workout hear the rear tines not as bad. Been wanting to upgrade Home Depot had a sale running for $554 (not bad) so put the front tine for sale sold it less than 24 hrs. for $300. Now the 62 yr. old kid has a  new toy on the way to play with.

• Like 1

rear tine tiller are great, but the name champion ?..everything i've seen, and had in my eye sight about this name has been junk. many moons ago i had a troy built rear tine tiller, it never failed me.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, shadetree said:

rear tine tiller are great, but the name champion ?..everything i've seen, and had in my eye sight about this name has been junk. many moons ago i had a troy built rear tine tiller, it never failed me.

I don't see Champion as junk the tiller I sold the winch on the 4-wheeler and 12 year old generator is still going strong has never let me down yet just run the carb dry after using it.

I have a Husqvarna rear tine tiller that is a beast.

Rear tine is definitely superior to front. 

@basfnb had an old Troy Bilt Pony that ran for decades.  Engine finally lost compression and he slapped a predator on there and is still using it. 

• Like 1

I view champion as one of those brands that is probably made by different companies depending on what it is.

Point being some things might be fine and some things cheaply made.

My father-in-law has a champion generator. I have had to clean the carb a few times because he will not stop leaving ethanol fuel in the tank, but it works fine if cared for properly.

Oh , I hear you'll talking Champion and never knew what you'll were talking about , now I think I know , there are people that ride around here trying to sell you tools out the back of their trucks , like generators , engine hoist , water pumps etc , and it is all Champion ---- I have never seen them in a store 

yep my ol red rig hasn't been started in about a decade..tires are flat, likely would have to pull the thing 2,000 times to get it to start.  when I was younger it did a good bit of work for me, but like folks are telling you, it'll jump on you and jerk you around if you let it.

mine is rotting and taking up space under the carport..a shame, but that was the story of several years of my life after the back blew out on me.

this year's minimal garden will be done in raised beds and arbors.

my guess is a small engine service shop would charge me more than the old tiller is worth and I'm honest with myself about not making time to swap out the carb and lines and trying to get it going myself...so it is long past due to be a give-away

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Oh , I hear you'll talking Champion and never knew what you'll were talking about , now I think I know , there are people that ride around here trying to sell you tools out the back of their trucks , like generators , engine hoist , water pumps etc , and it is all Champion ---- I have never seen them in a store 

Send those guys selling the Champions my way might çan get a good deal. They have stores that sell Champion Tractor Supply, Home depot and quite a few more. For a budget price on something that doesn't need everyday using they are not bad. Don't see the need to pay double the price that is honestly not much better lots of times you just paying for name brand. I compared a Troy Bilt & Champion front tine tiller at Tractor Supply looked the same to me quality wise and several hundred cheaper and it did everything I needed it to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverc said:

Send those guys selling the Champions my way might çan get a good deal. They have stores that sell Champion Tractor Supply, Home depot and quite a few more. For a budget price on something that doesn't need everyday using they are not bad. Don't see the need to pay double the price that is honestly not much better lots of times you just paying for name brand. I compared a Troy Bilt & Champion front tine tiller at Tractor Supply looked the same to me quality wise and several hundred cheaper and it did everything I needed it to do.

Have you ever seen the guys I am talking about selling Champion equipment  ?  >>> they are  kind of like the guys that sell steaks and meat out the back their trucks with refrigerators --- I seen those meat guys last weekend on the side the road in Slidell on Hwy 190 at 433 , they give you like 20 steaks for $40 , they are tiny , like 4ozs each 

• Haha 1

LOL...yeah, my Troy is 20 yrs old...no clue who made them back then.. all I know is that big 10hp motor can be a bear to pull if it isn't in the mood to start.  

• Like 2

On March 13, 2023 at 5:27 PM, toodeep said:

I've only used the Honda mid tine tillers but I believe even Hondas biggest tiller was a rear tine so it wasn't so "jumpy" when in hard ground. We always use the tractor and disk on the garden area so we don't have that issue, very often, when getting it ready.

Toodeep ..... Are you talking the mid tine honda mantis ? (Pic) i have this one... I had the 1st model that came out, i believe the engine was a problematic .... The updated model... ( like i have) eh..... It's not too bad, on a person... Small enough to use around plants already root established... .. Really does a great job tilling soil.. Too good actually .... It will completely powder the soil... Which isn't good.... The other big brother.. Is a class 2 or 3, three point hitch 1000 pto rpm driven 100 horse plus industrial model we have, only used from prepping tobacco beds... But would make very quick work prepping a massive size plot... It might be a lands pride make, i don't recall, i do know all the above is acurite ... Sept the brand it's construction orange... It's close to this but also has depth gauge wheels... On each side. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

@_Wilson_™ I have ran those also (Honda makes one just like those) but the ones I used the most are the F210/220 and the F501. To get to the Honda rear tine you had to get in the 800 series. Honda made many different tillers over the years. Some of their very first ones you could convert into snow blowers so it could be used year around.

• Like 1

I've got an old Mantis out in the shed somewhere.  My grandmother bought it back in the day.  Probably hasn't been run in 20+  years.

• Like 2

i posted earlier I ordered a Champion rear tine tiller. I decided this morning I don't want that tiller so when it gets here will return it to Home Depot. I got to looking at a DR Power XLDRT rear tine tiller that has dual rotation for tilling, like that and a few other things. The Champion only had counter rotation tilling. I ordered the ELDRT this morning should be here in about 8 days will post pictures. Can't wait to play with it.

Edited by riverc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, riverc said:

i posted earlier I ordered a Champion rear tine tiller. I decided this morning I don't want that tiller so when it gets here will return it to Home Depot. I got to looking at a DR Power XLDRT rear tine tiller that has dual rotation for tilling, like that and a few other things. The Champion only had counter rotation tilling. I ordered the ELDRT this morning should be here in about 8 days will post pictures. Can't wait to play with it.

So on some tillers , you can change the rotation direction of the tines  , like it has a transmission for say ???  Wouldn't it want to walk back towards you if it were spinning backwards , that could be dangerous ?

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

So on some tillers , you can change the rotation direction of the tines  , like it has a transmission for say ???  Wouldn't it want to walk back towards you if it were spinning backwards , that could be dangerous ?

No not really the counter rotation is best used for sod busting and tilling compact soil. Clockwise rotation is best used for established gardens and cultivation it's a better all around choice but cost more. After looking at the whole picture seen it would be better to spend more and get what would work better for me in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Many old ones did to allow removing rocks that got jammed.  It was a reverse lever that required being pushed against a spring.  Safe enough for the average country boy but city slickers probably ran over themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Or you could be recruited ..... As a child to go pick out the rocks.... Besides riding a tator plow, pulling weeds (ROOTS AND ALL) and helping gather the fresh produce ... Hauling sacking etc ect... You get to understand what work ethic was, or you didn't sit too well for a short time. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Or you could be recruited ..... As a child to go pick out the rocks.... Besides riding a tator plow, pulling weeds (ROOTS AND ALL) and helping gather the fresh produce ... Hauling sacking etc ect... You get to understand what work ethic was, or you didn't sit too well for a short time. 

Picking up chunks in a newly cleared field is a rite of passage