shadetree

lost water from well

got a late night phone call from my gal, she claims no water coming from well ?, great !!. breaker box is locked, key is here, had to make the late night drive over there, kill the power to well pump. open lid on well house, well pump has fallen over, breaking all pipes leading to pressure tank, sooo..it lost its prime you could say ?!  messed up the top of well casing from getting too hot from running dry, but the worse part is..the pick up pipe fell down in the well !. its 1 inch i think ? ( i hope anyway ! ). watched some video's on youtube on how to get these pipes out ?. well..it seems hard at first, until i watched a guy pull a broken pipe out of his well with a tool like the one i made in the picture, only difference is mine is much smaller ?, but the concept is the same !. soooooooo..if any of ya'll run into this problem ?..make one of these tools...it works !..well...it worked on some test pipe i have here at home, same pipe that is down in my well. the concept works off a piviot piece of metal to grab the inner diameter of the pipe, once you drop it down your well..let it get inside the pickup pipe, then give the string ( or rope ) a soft tug..the metal flipper part flips out..wedging the ends against the inner part of the pipe, works on pvc..and metal pipes !. make sure to tie a good strong rope, cable to the tool..YOU DO NOT WANT IT TO DROP DOWN IN THE WELL !.IMG_0542.JPG

• Like 5

Nice! Magivering! I got involed in one..... The way we did it.... Well i walked in on that ordeal just after it started.... So I'm not too sure about what took place before pump ect ect were removed... So ... It was just 3 of us.... They had cutting torches... And needed me to do the hydraulics (front end loader) so i would wait for them to blow a hole straight in the ppe n right out the other side... Then they would stick rebar in the hole I'd let the loader down the rebar would catch on the casing .....they would cut the top half off re chain .... Reel more up rinse  and repeat....removed i don't know how many feet of pipe like that (i must  have been about 17-19) what made that job fun was the area of the well.... One of the highest areas around @Fishfiles you recall that pic of the microwave tower ? That's a rocks toss away from where the well was... Lol 600 ft above sea level i think ? Got it done... And used the scrap pipe to make some good ol heavy duty cattle panels (toe / finger mashing) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

One of the highest areas around @Fishfiles you recall that pic of the microwave tower ? That's a rocks toss away from where the well was... Lol 600 ft above sea level i think ? 

I think I remember that tower pic ----- our well is 12 ft above sea level and 400 foot deep on a 2 inch pipe and 2 hp motor 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

cool retrieval tool 

yeah, thats the ' fetch it ' tool i mentioned, he wants 700 bucks for it ??!!..he can keep it..lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

yeah, thats the ' fetch it ' tool i mentioned, he wants 700 bucks for it ??!!..he can keep it..lol.

$700 ?!?! Yeah....i agree... I forgot to mention i do recall the front tires (no pun intended shade) on that ol Alice Chalmers squat and just to give an idea of tracter  size, it was not a massive size tractor... Eh ? About in the nieghor hood of 110-115 hp...... Hm.... I must have the numbers wrong someplace.... >> 

Ground elevation is 1124 feet

<< website information 

I don't / didn't think that area was that far above sea level.

my barametric gauges are calculated @ 750 feet.... Anyways.. I was thinking.... If the weight of said pipe was heavy enough to cause 2 front tires at about 55-60 psi to mash what (kinda) would be the total length ? Well... I can tell now if that question is the foremost in my head... Sigh.... Someone needs some serious rest....

image.jpg

update: ok, i spent all day today getting this problem worked on. first thing i did was snag the drop down pipe, first try, the masonry line broke ( i knew it would, thin line through a sharp drilled hole ) so i drilled the hole out on my flapper to stick some 1/4 nylon rope through the larger hole in the flapper. got it down in the 2 inch casing, the drop line was only about 4ft or less down from the top, i was able to get the standing water out, slide the gizmo down into the drop pipe, quick yank, got it '' hooked '', easily pulled the drop pipe up. stopped by lowes, picked up a 1 inch foot valve, seeing how i was already doing all this work, may as well replace that while i can get the drop down pipe out !. got that taken care of. now to fix the bad 2 inch casing !?!. took me a few to get too it, used a short version of hack saw blade to whack it off, then used my angle grinder to level the top off. then glued a new 2 inch coupler down on the old casing, i then cut a 12 inch long  piece to act as a riser. mounted the adapter to the new 2 inch pvcp pipe, used two large hose clamps wrapped around the 2 inch riser, stuck a piece of flat bar with a bend in it, up against the pvc pipe, tightened down the hose clamps around the flat bar's bend. then drilled a hole in the well house wall, used concrete bolt to attach the upper end to the wall.

I then got the pump mounted on top of the adapter with a rubber gasket ( yes...it did leak i found out later ), bolted the pump to the adapter, got all my plumbing pipes ran back to the pressure tank. i then used another piece of flat bar to attach the very top of the motor lid, then on the other end, used another concrete bolt, attached it to the wall again. this pump ain't gonna fall over again !. by then, it was 4pm, i called it day, came back home, will head back down there tomorrow, and fix the gasket leak. considering i had to start from scratch to get this all back together ?, i'm one sore MF'R right now !..lol. enjoy the pic's of my hard labor !. oh..before i forget ?!!..i poured a half gallon of clorox bleach down the well before i slid the drop down pipe back down, still need to flush that for a bit tomorrow. p.s. in case yer wondering how i got the top of the 2 inch casing squared off ?, i used a hack saw blade, bent to almost the width of the concrete ?, then slowly...AND I MEAN SLOWLY !..worked it back and forth to cut the 2 inch casing '' some what level ''....then i used my angle grinder to smooth the top edge down better. it took a few min's to get this part done !.

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

• Like 3

that yellar masonry line is from china anymore, had some decent masonry line before that, different braid, strength.

10 hours ago, LedFTed said:

that yellar masonry line is from china anymore, had some decent masonry line before that, different braid, strength.

what i have is pretty strong, i chucked it up in my bench vise, gave it a strong pull, it held. the problem i had with it in my gizmo is that when you run it through a drilled hole in metal ?, that hole has sharp edges, this is why i broke. but the 1/4 rope held !.

Well I am glad you " FISH'ed " it out of there !!!  

IS everything finished and back to normal ???   Going for city water ??  How much would that cost ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Well I am glad you " FISH'ed " it out of there !!!  

IS everything finished and back to normal ???   Going for city water ??  How much would that cost ? 

its all back together, but i have a very small water leak with the adapter/motor mount area, gotta pull the motor back off the adapter, and try to get the gasket to seal.  no...not going to city water.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

i have a very small water leak with the adapter/motor mount area

Is it where you were talking about lastnight ? Recon that black rtv will work ?

46 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

black rtv ?

Hondabond , LOL !!!! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fishfiles said:

Hondabond , LOL !!!! 

believe or not ?.i used hondabond on my tractor's hydrostat's transmission ( block area ), and its not leaked there yet ?..seems to hold where there is no pressure.

1 hour ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I know what time it is now..... LOL! 

image.jpg

yeah..i know what time it is too..is tag and bag someone !..lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Is it where you were talking about lastnight ? Recon that black rtv will work ?

it should ?, i've got a correct gasket that came with the pump when i bought it, but i did not have it on hand when i put it all back together. i'm gonna use ultra black, very thin coat on each side of the gasket, seeing how its mostly flat metal right there , it should work good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

image.png

now that's one big MF'ing bag of popcorn !!!.

15 hours ago, shadetree said:

yeah..i know what time it is too..is tag and bag someone !..lol.

Hey now!! I was being nice didnt say the word yellow once.... 

last update: i hope ?!..got to the cabin at 6:30 am this morning, waited until the sun got up, started in on fixing my small leak, knocked that out, was back home about 11;00 am. went back to bed..lol. sooo..the well pump is fixed and done for now !.

• Like 3