Gremlin

! it!!! Exhaust bolts broke. Advice?

So the motor I bought to replace my 350 was bought from a guy that destroyed the nuts trying to get them off. I soaked in PB for 2 weeks, heat cycles but just snapped them both off. Nuts!!  There are still some of the studs showing. Should I attempt with stud remover? What is my best next course of action and can I replace them easily I dont mess the threads?

My worst fear realized. Hahaha

20191230_161903.jpg

20200119_111941.jpg

20200119_112116.jpg

Edited by Gremlin

You have them so give them a try. I weld nuts to them when I do it. If you have a hand held torch I would apply a little heat to the threaded area on the head. It might let the aluminum expands just enough to break the bond. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, toodeep said:

You have them so give them a try. I weld nuts to them when I do it. If you have a hand held torch I would apply a little heat to the threaded area on the head. It might let the aluminum expands just enough to break the bond. 

They are lefty loosie? Not a reverse thread?

Should I use propane or map? Aluminum is such a heat sink. I'll try with the removers first and if they won't I'll weld some nuts on. Welder isnin a different building so not anxious to move the engine there in the snow. Lol

Thet are regular threads. Either will work, just something to heat it just enough. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, toodeep said:

Thet are regular threads. Either will work, just something to heat it just enough. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me. Lol. Think I'll heat cycle a bit and try to draw in some PB Blaster for a few days. 

The welding a nut on the thread is the best way  to go , but I am going to give it a low rate of success on those exhaust studs , it has worked  for me a couple of times on 300 exhaust stud , more than not , it doesn't and breaks the stud again or the weld on the nut breaks loose ------two different metals have bad effects on seizing up when put against one and other , add in the heat factor of the exhaust and it makes a bad combination ---- I have had to drill out quite a few broken studs, and messed a couple up , it is hard to judge what is straight down the middle of the bolt because of the angle it goes into the head and since the aluminum threads are so soft , if you do secessfully drill right down the muddle , sometimes when you tap out the remaining threads left after drilling it will pull the existing threads out 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You might try sliding a thick, large diameter, but snug fitting washer onto the studs so they lay tightly against the aluminum head. Fender washers from an auto parts store might fit the studs snugly... use whatever suitable thick washers that you can find that are large diameter. Find two large grade 8 nuts that are just a bit smaller than the diameter of your washers. A 1/2" nut (3/4" socket fits them) might be a good size.

Prep the studs by grinding the rust off so you can weld the washers onto them. Then slide a washer over each stud. Then use a large drift punch and a hammer to smack on the end of the studs to shock loose the dissimilar metals bond. Hit them hard but don't hit them so hard that you break the aluminum casting.

Then weld those washers onto the studs and knock/brush the slag off until the steel is clean again. At this point you will have a welded nub sticking out of the center of the washer. Place large grade 8 nuts over the studs and weld those nuts to the washers. Then weld the hole in the nuts to the studs in its center. While the steel is still hot (but not red hot) put a socket on the nut and burp those studs loose using a 3/8 impact. If that don't work smack the nuts hard with a hammer again to break the bond and use a short breaker bar or ratchet to try loosening them again. And if that don't work ya gonna have to drill out your weld in the nut and drill out the studs the old fashioned way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy.....not looking forward to having to drill them out. Fingers crossed.  I'm going to soak these for a few more days. Not sure if it will help but.....

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, retro said:

Prep the studs by grinding the rust off so you can weld the washers onto them. Then slide a washer over each stud. Then use a large drift punch and a hammer to smack on the end of the studs  to shock loose the dissimilar metals bond. Hit them hard but don't hit them so hard that you break the aluminum casting.

Then weld those washers onto the studs and knock/brush the slag off until the steel is clean again. At this point you will have a welded nub sticking out of the center of the washer. Place large grade 8 nuts over the studs and weld those nuts to the washers. Then weld the hole in the nuts to the studs in its center. While the steel is still hot (but not red hot) put a socket on the nut and burp those studs loose using a 3/8 impact. If that don't work smack the nuts hard with a hammer again to break the bond and use a short breaker bar or ratchet to try loosening them again. And if that don't work ya gonna have to drill out your weld in the nut and drill out the studs the old fashioned way.

Had good luck with this in the past after lightly heating just the head! Don't want heat to transfer to the bolts.

Edited by Outnback
  • Thanks 1

So, after grinding off the rust and examining the bolts....it was obvious it was going to be a gong show.  They came out but only after one snapped off in the head, then the easy out snapped off in the head.  The one I thought was going to break didn't and the one I thought would be cooperative wasn't.  Had to retap and the stud is at a very slight angle now but I think it should work.  I hope anyway.  Thanks for all the advice guys.  I hope to never, EVER have to attempt that again, ever!

• Like 2

Please watch this. Taryl Fixes All. Staring Taryl Dactal, Funny skits and informative. If you don't enjoy the comedy go to 3:54, but this guy has a full time shop in Indiana and knows his stuff, 40 years experience.  A 2nd video, if again you don't like the skits as I enjoy them, go to 2:30.

Edited by F250 guy