Philip0377

2012 honda foreman 500trxfe over heating

Purchased used and snorkeled…running fine but some ticking in valves… then some minor white smoke from exhaust… did complete top end rebuild..drain coolant and oil, new filters etc etc..valves adjusted correctly… runs smoothly now and no smoke but over heating after 30min…..cut it off immediately..noticed reservoir is filling up but not leaving and returning to rad..I’m thinking water pump..any other suggestions?

Wonder if you have an air bubble in the system.

Have you pulled the coolant hose off at the top end, to see if the pump is pushing coolant?

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Wonder if you have an air bubble in the system.

Have you pulled the coolant hose off at the top end, to see if the pump is pushing coolant?

Have not pulled hose but it’s hot…I did bleed or assume I have bled all lines…now I’m getting ready to pull thermostat. And see if problem exist because if thermostat is stuck closed it will not allow circulation. CORRECT??

• Like 1

Yep, that was going to be my next suggestion is to pull thermostat and see if it helps.

Since you recently did the top end, are you sure you used the right gaskets and had them properly aligned?

The "new top end and have problems since" would lead me to be look at the work that was recently done, since the problem arose right after that work was performed.

Philip' , I am not a 500 water cooled guy , so my thoughts are generic to water cooled engine , but you called me out on your other thread , LOL ----  first thoughts , is the radiator clean externally so that air will flow thru , is the fan doing it's job >>> , radiator clean internally for good water flow  , is the water pump doin it's job >>> thermostat could be not opening >>>  there could be air in the system , which can cause cavitation from air bubbles in the flow  >>> water pump might not be flowing >>> radiator cap could be bad , not holding pressure ( every one psi of pressure ,increases the boiling temperature of water by 2 degrees ( I see the radiator cap of the 500 is 1.1 bar , which is about 15 psi , so 15 x 2 is 30 degrees , added to 212 twmpwrature that water boils  , makes water boil at 242 with a 15 pound cap )  , so you can see how the cap is important  >>> too much fuel or timing can cause overheating >>> clogged air filter or exhaust eill cause a heating issue -----    I am with Jeeps thoughts , if this heating issue started after the last work done , then look to something related to that work ---  I'll be thinking some more about ya problem 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Philip' , I am not a 500 water cooled guy , so my thoughts are generic to water cooled engine , but you called me out on your other thread , LOL ----  first thoughts , is the radiator clean externally so that air will flow thru , is the fan doing it's job >>> , radiator clean internally for good water flow  , is the water pump doin it's job >>> thermostat could be not opening >>>  there could be air in the system , which can cause cavitation from air bubbles in the flow  >>> water pump might not be flowing >>> radiator cap could be bad , not holding pressure ( every one psi of pressure ,increases the boiling temperature of water by 2 degrees ( I see the radiator cap of the 500 is 1.1 bar , which is about 15 psi , so 15 x 2 is 30 degrees , added to 212 twmpwrature that water boils  , makes water boil at 242 with a 15 pound cap )  , so you can see how the cap is important  >>> too much fuel or timing can cause overheating >>> clogged air filter or exhaust eill cause a heating issue -----    I am with Jeeps thoughts , if this heating issue started after the last work done , then look to something related to that work ---  I'll be thinking some more about ya problem 

Started prior to last job. Was getting white smoke (not much) and temp

light coming on…went ahead a rebuilt top end. Now all of my fluid from rad, is going to my reservoir. Not circulating…going to remove thermostat ( temporarily) to see if issue persist…think it’s stuck closed.

• Like 3

THERMOSTAT!! It’s all good…was staying closed…took it out and tested in over 200* water and it never opened. Been idling and throttling for 45 min no light and seems cooler. Not ! it off and wait for new thermostat to arrive.

thanks Guys/gals

• Like 3