TRX Student

1995 fourtrax 300 4x4 rebuild

I seen you conversing with bcs about your  brake conversion on chat , I just missed you'll --- I think the conversion is the way to go , once you get them on , then when it comes time to do a brake job is so easy and cheaper compared to dealing with brake shoes , wheel cylinder and water getting in and rusting them up ---------  the hardest part of the installation is bleeding them and getting all the air out , the pinch method is the best way I have found to bleed them , I would flush your master and hoses if the old fluid is discolored ----Arctic Cat pads will fit the kit when it comes time for replacement pads ---- you need 12 inch front rims if you have steel rims , if you are running aluminum rims , you have two options , grind a bit off the edge of the caliper or run 1 inch wheel spacers , I go for the later , since I run the 250 rear ends , I use a 2 inch spacer in the rear to get the 12 inch wide tires off the muffler , the 1 inch front spacer puts the wheels at perfect width alignment front to rear with that combination ----- with a stock 300 rear end and  1 inch spacers in the front , you will be a little wider in the front then the rear and might want to buy 4 - 1"  spacers , think about where you are going before packing the bag 

Should see if utvcanada will give a discount! They had conversation kits at one time.

Ive got a parts 450 back home with 12'' wheels , so my plan is to rob them off the 450 and put them on the 300. I haven't done the fitment yet because I'm no where near ready to ride. but knowing I'll need some spacers for clearing the muffler is good info. Does it look goofy without a spacer in the front to match?

3 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Parts Canada is now Royal Distributing and they price out at 395.02

Is there another option.  I'm putting 420 front discs and hubs on my 350. @jeepwm69 and @retropointed me in that direction. Got everything to convert for 150 cad used of course.

5 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Ive got a parts 450 back home with 12'' wheels , so my plan is to rob them off the 450 and put them on the 300. I haven't done the fitment yet because I'm no where near ready to ride. but knowing I'll need some spacers for clearing the muffler is good info. Does it look goofy without a spacer in the front to match?

you wouldn't  need spacers to clear the muffler with the stock rear end , it is only with the 250 rear end , which is a couple of inches narrower 

you won't really notice the difference front to rear with just the front spacers , unless you are OCD like me 

8 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

Is there another option.  I'm putting 420 front discs and hubs on my 350. @jeepwm69 and @retropointed me in that direction. Got everything to convert for 150 cad used of course.

The only thing I don't like about that 420 conversion is having to grind the taper for the larger ball joint and getting it right 

55 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

They bolt on a 350.  The 350 and 420 both have a big ball joint up top, and a smaller ball joint on the bottom.

The 300 has the small ball joints top and bottom, so to make the 420 brakes work you have to grind out the 300 upper a-arm ball joint hole to accept the bigger ball joint.

As Fish said, it's a PITA, but that's what I do.  I want to use factory parts so in 15 years hopefully I'll still be able to get replacement components

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

Parts Canada is now Royal Distributing and they price out at 395.02

Why don't you call Superatv and tell them what you've found as far as pricing goes?  See if they'll work with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

Why don't you call Superatv and tell them what you've found as far as pricing goes?  See if they'll work with you.

Worth a shot!

On 1/27/2020 at 9:47 AM, jeepwm69 said:

If you really look at the pics, sometimes you can get stuff you want as part of one of those hardware piles.

I got the secondary gears for a 420FM in one, which is an 15% GR for the 420AT.  Those two gears would have run me about $60 from Honda.

I also bought a set from a dismantled TRX125 that had the front fender support in it, which is no longer available new and usually bring $40-50 used on ebay. 

I tend to try to really look closely at the pics.  You can get wheel center caps in them if you watch carefully too.

So I started poking around and nabbed another box of miscellaneous stuff off a 450.WITH CENTER CAPS yeehaw

• Like 2

This has been on marketplace for awhile, it went down to 1400 cad a couple weeks ago. Looks like a foreman 450 ES. This is for sale in an area where people use big new quads to go mudding and riding, hunting, or use smaller quads for hunting. This one fits well into the smaller quad category for hunting. But bad time of the year for hunting on a quad. 

16311D69-227F-46AE-8769-4762A3DFF352.png

1 hour ago, TRX Student said:

PSN ebays’s #1 atv supplier something something. Nebraska. Know these guys?

I've met one of their guys a few years back, nice guy. I think @jeepwm69 does some buisness with them from time to time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toodeep said:

I've met one of their guys a few years back, nice guy. I think @jeepwm69 does some buisness with them from time to time. 

I've ordered a ton of stuff from them over the last few years.  They stand behind what they sell, and while some stuff isn't a bargain (sometimes their used prices are more than new parts) they do have some stuff that is a really good deal.

The only problem is, I've talked so much about how great they are that more and more people have started buying from them, and now they have a harder time keeping stuff in stock so they've raised their prices........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRX Student said:

PSN ebays’s #1 atv supplier something something. Nebraska. Know these guys?

https://www.powersportsnation.com/

As Jeep mentioned, helpful folks who stand behind all of their used parts.

53 minutes ago, retro said:

https://www.powersportsnation.com/

As Jeep mentioned, helpful folks who stand behind all of their used parts.

I do order directly from their website.  No need to pad ebay's pockets when I can order directly from them.

Also, if you're placing a big enough order, sometimes they will work with you a little on price.  I called in and ordered a dozen calipers at once a couple years ago and they gave me a discount.

49 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

A couple picture of what has been keeping me from working on the 300 restore build

E54B6393-FD7B-433C-8705-5BBAD1C44856.jpeg

A330DD31-F674-42BC-A941-0D1FD2013729.jpeg

E74705B7-C9EA-4628-B689-04B88F638682.jpeg

all i see is a bunch of stuff that looks like snow ?..lol.

PSN arrived

purple paper is a nice touch.

feel pretty silly, thought I spotted Honda wheel caps. Turned out to be a Yamaha and Polaris wheel center caps. Dang.

80C5E8CE-9CB0-4F4F-A84E-096BBA4A728C.jpeg

55DA4368-2C99-4BF3-9C1F-3F2070A7F6FB.jpeg

DDE351A3-956D-4A5F-A67F-8ABA79590BA5.jpeg

Cleaning the head. Should I paint it?

Not done wire brushing just yet, but for the rebuilders, does painting the motor work out? Or does it flake off and get worse, am I just better wire brushing then done?

FA96CAB2-BCD8-432F-87E1-AC3379885718.jpeg

A87AE98C-F544-493A-B089-A9756BC87E34.jpeg

FC684D6F-CB61-4F9C-8971-66A1556ECB59.jpeg

• Like 1