TRX Student

1995 fourtrax 300 4x4 rebuild

Got some goodies today, will be working on getting things back together on the bottom end this weekend! Feels good to be moving closer with assembly!

A0B13F5E-36C6-4FA5-9F3B-42ABD9FD305C.jpeg

Weedhopper , Remember patience makes perfect , don't get antzy close to the finish line , take a breathe , smell the roses , then carry on ..... 

You might be too young to remember Kung Foo , Weedhopper !!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Spent an hour or so carefully scrapping gasket off the cylinder with a knife. Taking my time. 

You talking about the base gasket of the jug  , that one can be hard to get off .... my weapon of choice is a steady hand with a straight edge razor blade scraper tool   and slice it off like thin cut garlic , when you get just the right angle it is like butter , when you get it wrong it digs in , breaks the blade  or slips off  which can be dangerous 

• Like 1

Grasshopper was really the name of the apprentice in the KungFoo show , but Weedhopper sounds so much cooler ....

I see G+H 's card in your pic , did you just buy parts or did they doing the jug for you, if you don't clean that base gasket off before sending it to them , they hit you up $20 extra , they must not like scraping it either ---- they will also bead blast the jug for you 

Just now, Fishfiles said:

I see G+H 's card in your pic , did you just buy parts or did they doing the jug for you, if you don't clean that base gasket off before sending it to them , they hit you up $20 extra , they must not like scraping it either ---- they will also bead blast the jug for you 

I brought it down with me over Christmas and had a machining shop do the work of drilling out the broken bolt and tapping it. Did a good job. Just took forever. Gasket was still on it when I opened the mail 😅

so that’s the next job. All I bought from Gh was the chain. I saw your comments somewhere recommending them. 

• Like 1

It’s coming apart! Both clutches are off, nothing to report. Almost at the timing chain. I do have right now one washer that fell on the floor, not sure where it goes, could be reverse lever or that other linkage mechanism? Regardless, that will be a question I’ll have to answer after swapping the chains out!

image.jpg

1B43C76F-828C-4251-9BB7-45233CEA385F.jpeg

• Like 1

Both the reverse and clutch arm have the same washer on them.

• Like 2

Yes on each of them. They are the same washer though so you can't mix them up.

• Like 1

I also just found this on the floor, damnit. I’m working with what I have, as far as a work space and it is less than ideal. Bear with me. It may belong to something completely unrelated to this Honda. May have no notices it before, but it was close to the washer where I found it. If you recognize it as something that goes inside.....if not then that’s good...

E94703F4-3C1F-4D81-8ED5-E1EE6CC2A149.jpeg

Edited by TRX Student

24 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

I also just found this on the floor, damnit. I’m working with what I have, as far as a work space and it is less than ideal. Bear with me. It may belong to something completely unrelated to this Honda. May have no notices it before, but it was close to the washer where I found it. If you recognize it as something that goes inside.....if not then that’s good...

E94703F4-3C1F-4D81-8ED5-E1EE6CC2A149.jpeg

There's a spacer on the cam chain guide but it looks like you have that sitting on the bolt. That's about all I can think of, probably unrelated.

• Like 2

I did not play with that cam chain guide. It is too thick to be a dowel pin. The inner is too small for any of the 8-10mm bolts I have to go through.

FD203D35-FF46-4D75-BBB1-17F3E0353D89.jpeg

Could be a good time to get rid of that pesky  reverse lock out --- I pretty much know when I down shift and hit neutral , then it don't go anywhere and the engine revs up , not to go no mo 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Could be a good time to get rid of that pesky  reverse lock out --- I pretty much know when I down shift and hit neutral , then it don't go anywhere and the engine revs up , not to go no mo 

Is that all that is? How do I remove the lock out? Just remove the spring?

The dot on the clutch arm is not lined up. Everything else looks good and I was thinking of the 350 motor with that collar and seen the oil line bolt. that collar I think was just something on the floor.

47 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:
45 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The dot on the clutch arm is not lined up. Everything else looks good and I was thinking of the 350 motor with that collar and seen the oil line bolt. that collar I think was just something on the floor.

Yes. There is also a small dot on the arm and an triangle on the case to line things up. Looks good now.

• Like 1

The clutch lifter cam and plate seem to be sitting there very precariously, and the arm is barely catching the plate. Are the clutch bolts suppose to be tightened right down?

7D580E02-B057-4A68-A747-9FC85F018587.jpeg

Edited by TRX Student