Robert 35031

350 honda rancher es

Hi

Welcome to the forum!

Do you know the history on the machine? Is it new to you, been sunk etc or had major work done? Have you checked timing?

If spark is good and you are SURE fuel/carb is good, then you've got 2 of the 3 basic requirements out of the way for troubleshooting a no start condition

Have you checked compression? Dont forget to open the throttle all the way when checking

Are you trying to pull start it or using electric start?

Try a shot of starting fluid to see if it kicks at all, just in case carb is dirty etc even low compression should at least kick

unless you have NO compression ie valve issues

Dont forget to download free Factory Service Manual here on the service manual library 

Heres the link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VocUaF1K4_fDh_SVCaq3Rkc747M58ZQd 

You can find compression specs as well in the manual

Let us know what you find and we can get you sorted out

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

I don't have a good way to check compression but seems to have compression spray the carb  and still won't kick off not real sure how to check timing 

If you remove the spark plug and put your thumb over the hole really tightly and if the compression blows your thumb off usually it’s got enough so that it will least kick over. You can put a squirt of  of oil in there if your rings are worn, it’ll at least, improve compression enough to get it to kick over 

You might want to try changing the spark plug as well. I’ve seen a plug spark off the side, but it doesn’t jump the gap if its bad

You might wanna pull the plug and see if it’s gotten wet at this point the engine might be flooded

with the plug removed, you can crank it a few times and it’ll blow out the excess gas and dry it out.

You didn’t say whether your pull starting this or electric starting?

I would pull the plug, turn off fuel and crank it so that it dries out, 

make sure you have a GOOD spark plug and install it then try a good shot of starting fluid while playing with the throttle while cranking it

You should at least be getting a kick

You are welcome

Glad to hear you got it sorted out
Beware of the cheap China parts on eBay, they cause more problems then they fix

I’m sure you’ll be fine with whatever plug that you picked up as long as it crosses over just fine, but I would pick up a good NGK for a few dollars when you can -that’s all I run on my machines

Hope to see you around here on the forum 

AKATV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robert 35031 said:

Oh one more question I broke the wire going to be bowl heater is that something that I need to fix?

It's only needed in cold weather. Depends on where you live

Should be fairly easy to repair or replace but again it’s only used in cold weather and even then, very seldom

mine have always started up with just choke when cold, down to -20

How is the best way to repair a stripped bolt in the valve cover  I took it off to inspect the rockers then it stripped going back together 

I’m not sure if you use an impact gun to put those screws in, but that’s bad business unless you’re very careful

I usually start them with fingers, use a light impact to spin them down and then finishing them up by hand

I also find that if there’s ever a slight valve cover leak, people tend to crank these bolts down tighter and tighter until one strips to try to stop the leak instead of removing the valve cover and replacing the seal or putting a little

HondaBond on the gasket

You have a couple choices. You can either drill the hole bigger, and tap it for a slightly larger bolt,

or you can use a Helicoil or Tmesert insert

basically, you drill the hole larger, tap it and then insert the Heliccoil or Timesert  and it restores original thread diameter to the hole

These work well for this application, because it does not require very many foot pounds of torque for that bolt

Edited by AKATV

Most likely was damaged beforehand. 
you can get helicoil and timesert kits at Napa or similar. Here’s a kit on eBay to give you an idea what you’re looking for

this one comes with the drill, the taps and all the tools as well

for the price you can’t really beat it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385500377407?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ge_dsgs9s3m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=V3Cdg_b1T7C&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY