BUDDYB

2003 TRX500FA not shifting.

Finally got it running good after chasing down electrical issues now drives fine and was shifting then stopped shifting.

Is it flashing any code on the display? If you want your user name changed from your email just let us know EXACTLY what you want and we can change it for you.

Well the display is not working at the moment. It lights up but shows nothing. Can you change it to buddyb

On 4/3/2023 at 8:30 PM, toodeep said:

Is it flashing any code on the display? If you want your user name changed from your email just let us know EXACTLY what you want and we can change it for you.

Is there any one who rebuild the display or is it best to try to buy a new one.

9 minutes ago, BUDDYB said:

Is there any one who rebuild the display or is it best to try to buy a new one.

If it can be fixed , @AKATV is the person to talk with

• Thanks 1

Yeah AKATV is the repair guy on the meters.

If your machine is throwing error codes you need the meter to work to see the error codes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah AKATV is the repair guy on the meters.

If your machine is throwing error codes you need the meter to work to see the error codes.

Ok thank you.

On 4/3/2023 at 8:30 PM, toodeep said:

Well got a meter on it and on gear selection it's just two dashes. Tried getting the codes but it's not pulling any up.

• Like 1

Try reinitializing it and see if you get any change. 

Go to page 23-4 of the factory service manual and it gives detailed instructions on this. 

Free PDF download of the factory service manual here, thanks to @balljoints

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11L4ZAKwg_jjLgT5CsZYM-Dpcuw00nBCu

It's kind like getting unlimited men in Contra, so if you might have to try it a couple of times to get it LOL

47 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Try reinitializing it and see if you get any change. 

Go to page 23-4 of the factory service manual and it gives detailed instructions on this. 

Free PDF download of the factory service manual here, thanks to @balljoints

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11L4ZAKwg_jjLgT5CsZYM-Dpcuw00nBCu

It's kind like getting unlimited men in Contra, so if you might have to try it a couple of times to get it LOL

Tried that yesterday and it did change then went right back to two dash's. Today it's two dashes that are just constantly on no blinking can't hear shift motor doing anything when I try it again.

12 minutes ago, BUDDYB said:

Tried that yesterday and it did change then went right back to two dash's. Today it's two dashes that are just constantly on no blinking can't hear shift motor doing anything when I try it again.

Well crap. 

It looks like (from the factory service manual) that you have to RETRIEVE the error codes on these (I've worked on the 05-up, but not on the 01-04 Rubicons).

And it also appears that if you start the initializing, but don't complete it, you'll get a stead -- on the dash.  You might try starting over again with that process, as I know when I've done it I sometimes had to do it several times to get it to take.  That was on my father in law's 06 Rubicon, and I ended up polishing the battery cable ends and putting a new battery on it and it stopped throwing codes.  Do you have a good strong battery on the machine?

I'd aslo try unplugging connectors, cleaning with CRC cleaner, and then putting back together with dialectic grease.   Start with the ECM, which appears to be up in the right wheel well above the rear tool box, which is a TERRIBLE place to put a computer with electrical connections on it!  On the 05-up they moved it up under the top headlight, under the front fender.

4 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well crap. 

It looks like (from the factory service manual) that you have to RETRIEVE the error codes on these (I've worked on the 05-up, but not on the 01-04 Rubicons).

And it also appears that if you start the initializing, but don't complete it, you'll get a stead -- on the dash.  You might try starting over again with that process, as I know when I've done it I sometimes had to do it several times to get it to take.  That was on my father in law's 06 Rubicon, and I ended up polishing the battery cable ends and putting a new battery on it and it stopped throwing codes.  Do you have a good strong battery on the machine?

I'd aslo try unplugging connectors, cleaning with CRC cleaner, and then putting back together with dialectic grease.   Start with the ECM, which appears to be up in the right wheel well above the rear tool box, which is a TERRIBLE place to put a computer with electrical connections on it!  On the 05-up they moved it up under the top headlight, under the front fender.

Will try that it's a good batter showing 12.9 with unit off. I'll try disconnecting it seeing if that does anything.

2 minutes ago, BUDDYB said:

Will try that it's a good batter showing 12.9 with unit off. I'll try disconnecting it seeing if that does anything.

What happens if I might have installed gear position sensor wrong. I took it off not knowing that it didn't need to come off when checking stator and when I put it back in I know I turned it to another position to get it back in and not sure unit was in neutral.

10 minutes ago, BUDDYB said:

That should be good as far as the battery is concerned.  Clean up your terminals while you have it unhooked.

I had my 06 Foreman throwing a TPS code and replaced the ECU, only to find that the code persisted.  Put the old one back in and it worked fine, swapped new ECU in and it also worked fine.  Must have been a little corrosion on one of the pins that cleaned up with repeated plugging/unplugging.  I cleaned the connection well and dialectic greased it and it hasn't caused me any problems now for a few years.

7 minutes ago, BUDDYB said:

What happens if I might have installed gear position sensor wrong. I took it off not knowing that it didn't need to come off when checking stator and when I put it back in I know I turned it to another position to get it back in and not sure unit was in neutral.

So it hasn't shown a gear position since you did that?

Luckily you can remove the gear position switch on the Rubicon without pulling anything else apart.    There should be a T coming off the gear position switch.  There should also be a (sometimes hard to see) N imprinted on the switch.  One side of that T will be slightly longer than the other.  The longer side of the "T" points to the N scribed on the gear position switch.  

Then make sure the shifter is in Neutral, and the shift drum should line up perfectly with the gear position switch set up as described above.

If you have that T 180 degrees out it will definitely cause issues.

11 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Luckily you can remove the gear position switch on the Rubicon without pulling anything else apart.    There should be a T coming off the gear position switch.  There should also be a (sometimes hard to see) N imprinted on the switch.  One side of that T will be slightly longer than the other.  The longer side of the "T" points to the N scribed on the gear position switch.  

Then make sure the shifter is in Neutral, and the shift drum should line up perfectly with the gear position switch set up as described above.

Ok will check 

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ok will check 

Appreciate all the help my ! didn't have the 32 pin connector all the way plugged in.

• Like 2

I take it you got it solved.  Good deal.

I was thinking you have a foot shift 500 not a Hondamatic. 

The forum don’t let  you type words that are considered bad words.  Replaces the words with !!!! Exclamation marks. Figured you were trying to say “ my a$$ “ didn’t have the 32 pin all the way pulled in —— lol.  

Just now, Fishfiles said:

I take it you got it solved.  Good deal.

I was thinking you have a foot shift 500 not a Hondamatic. 

The forum don’t let  you type words that are considered bad words.  Replaces the words with !!!! Exclamation marks. Figured you were trying to say “ my a$$ “ didn’t have the 32 pin all the way pulled in —— lol.  

Yep. Shifting great no codes just sputtering in reverse.

• Like 1

I am not a Rubicon guy. But read a lot. I think the sputtering in reverse is par for the course.  It is a rev limiter.  I think there is a way to override the limiter. 

12 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I am not a Rubicon guy. But read a lot. I think the sputtering in reverse is par for the course.  It is a rev limiter.  I think there is a way to override the limiter. 

Yeah I'm learning as I go on four-wheeler found out put it in reverse and sort of roll it it actually goes all the way in reverse.

• Like 1

Just now, BUDDYB said:

Yeah I'm learning as I go on four-wheeler found out put it in reverse and sort of roll it it actually goes all the way in reverse.

I am not sure about this one , someone will come along that does know  , seems I heard if you squeeze the front brake a little bit ,  the reverse limiter will override , but not sure , might be thinking of something else 

I  know that squeeze the brake trick with make some atvs like the 300 4x4 grab on the front  side that isn't spinning  when your stuck 

On April 7, 2023 at 2:57 PM, Fishfiles said:

I  know that squeeze the brake trick with make some atvs like the 300 4x4 grab on the front  side that isn't spinning  when your stuck 

I recall that trick i think a video is posted here of a guy had his bike (don't recall what model but it was a 4wd) had one front wheel on a blow down tree .. And the other off the ground completely and used that trick to lock both front wheels...  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 2:32 PM, BUDDYB said:

Yep. Shifting great no codes just sputtering in reverse.

Usually when they sputter in reverse either the red light for reverse won't be lit up, or the screen won't show the R.  If you don't have both it has that rev limiter built in.  There are two switches for reverse, and if either is off a little you get rev limited.

You can bypass the reverse rev limiter all the way, which will allow you full power in reverse (meaning like you can go 60MPH in reverse).  Works great if you can use your brain, but would be dangerous for a kid or someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

I did this mod to @basfnb's Rubicon years ago.  It really helps backing out of mud etc.  I have NOT done it to Mrs Jeep's Rubicon, because she'd probably run over me trying to reverse.

I think @toodeep wired in a hidden switch somewhere on his where you could have it stock with the rev limiter, or switched to full power in reverse.

How to's were on one of the old boards before Vertical Scope bought and ruined them.   I bought a lifetime membership to Honda Foreman . com too, and now it's a ghost town after those buttholes ruined it.

Any interest for this little mod | Honda Foreman Forums

Honda Rubicon Reverse Mod | Honda Foreman Forums