BlueJay

Wet Clutch Compatible Oil

I am new to ATV engines but have been working on mower engines for years. I saw another post on here about oil sources and someone mentioned “wet clutch compatible only”. I have been working on a TRX350 barn find and have drained the oil about four times for various fixings but I think I have it ready to go for the long run. The last fill I put in 10w-40 ND as per the SM weight specs (it said Honda brand) but it was conventional oil. What is the significance of “wet clutch compatible oil”? Thanks. 

Oil should have JASO shown on the container and listed as meeting that specification.  

• Like 2

I do have some wet clutch oil now. Apparently engine oil has friction modifiers that cause wet clutches to slip. I plan on putting the good stuff in once I am sure I don’t need to pull the front cover again and take it on it’s maiden trail ride. So far I have been just running around the back yard while I have been working on it. 

Rotella T4 and Rotella T6 are both good JASO MA rated oils that are available everywhere.  Definitely get that conventional stuff out and replace with JASO MA rated oil.

• Like 2