Aroch314

Rebuilding a Trx300

Hello everyone! I just picked up a ‘94 non running 300 4x4 it was a good deal with a plow and spreader I couldn’t pass up even though I was concerned with both covers being off already. The guy couldn’t tell me much otherwise he supposedly got it in a bundle deal like that and he didn’t want anything to do with it. Well we took some guesses on what could be wrong and I suggested a shift issue since both sides were off. Well long story short, I have found the left case is actually broken at the gearshift return spring. This will be the first official disassemble and rebuild with a different left case so based on my overview in the manual I may need some special tools. Can someone verify which ones are actually needed and which ones I can maybe get away with not needing? I’ll probably be in the repair status for awhile so I’m not necessarily scared to buy a special Honda toolkit (if they have an overall kit would be great) Any advise would be awesome! Already plan to have a complete oil seal and gasket kits.

B560F8BA-F19F-4EFC-984C-3EA54CD9810B.jpeg

1CAC13F6-7D52-49FB-B638-476E202F3D2B.jpeg

• Like 1

Also does anyone know the difference between left crankcases? 11200-HC5-020 Looks like the part number that is called for but there’s a few 11200-HC4-000 cases I could get for a better price. Looks like that one goes to the older 2wd units but I thought other than the covers they were pretty interchangeable?

Ok sorry for so many posts, I’m stuck in the car today and trying to finalize part order, looks like one case is 2wd and the other is 4wd however what is the difference? If I use the 4wd cover will it mount? I’ll keep searching my guess maybe something with the t-case mounting?

9 minutes ago, Aroch314 said:

@Fishfiles here is the first post about the build and trying to figure out the difference between the actual crankcases.

There are only two left case covers , one for 2wd and one for 4wd , below is a link to a 4wd cover

This left case cover is from Powerspartsnation , they are very reptible , if anything goes wrong  , they will stand behind it , $65 with free shipping 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294904123715?epid=1311838879&hash=item44a9a7d143:g:coQAAOSwQj1iSzFv&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwNzhBxPvfqeGWeS3AZix3eL%2FO9ThYNCWXkOZvGkOq8B3TB2oT%2B%2FBBdGPnRyqtKRr47a0X6nUjyFbcSOjOG3tJBn8Lw%2B0wlnMjsE%2FdPJ7r7jd1fYTHsE5EW4%2BUmYoO06D%2Fl2%2BGY8bxkGBIGGkQPbGmen%2FBTB9pg5Yl0t8KgUv73aLoRECaqwHvyWU809O8hTna6plN5vOUtv4Pps8BEwIp4GLhZ%2FjCYP6%2FVDVzvX0mMKvOgsNj6b2MJ35BrzkSnohHg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR9b8ru3sYQ

@Fishfiles not the covers! The actual engine crank case. See picture above of the broken crankcase left side where the return pin is supposed to be. I have to dismantle the entire engine and use a different left case to fix it but they’re saying between 2wd and 4wd is a different part number and I don’t know what the difference is, if i have all the 4wd parts to put back on is there a difference between the 11200-HC4-000 says it’s applicable on 2wd and 11200-HC5-020 that’s says it’s for 4wd. But I thought the engines cases themselves where pretty much the same?

• Like 1

i was thinking meant covers

I have heard people say that you should change both left and right crankcase halves as a set , then others have said that it doesn't matter --- I know you can change a 2wd motor to a 4wd motor but changing the output shaft housing and the left side cover and not have to mess with case halves 

I have seen there are some covers that cover an extra bolt hole and some that don't but you can use either one , 

2wd 

image.png

4wd

image.png

Ok that was where I was confused haha. They look exactly the same but the part numbers are different. Happy Easter!

• Like 1

Well I started in on the green 300 and I got everything pulled and ready to rebuild with a different case and I have discovered the difference between the 2wd and 4wd left crank cases. There is no bolt holes to mount the transfer case. So future reference there is a difference between the left crank cases. 

IMG_2686.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:34 PM, Aroch314 said:

Well I started in on the green 300 and I got everything pulled and ready to rebuild with a different case and I have discovered the difference between the 2wd and 4wd left crank cases. There is no bolt holes to mount the transfer case. So future reference there is a difference between the left crank cases. 

IMG_2686.jpeg

too bad i am late to this thread ?..lol. yep..the left side lower case has the mounting bolts to mount the front transfer case, where as the 2wd left lower engine case does not !.

• Like 2