Misterclean

Strange noise 2014 Ram 1500

Just like the title says.....strange noise with my truck. I'm sixty and still learning stuff so I'm passing this on. I fueled up my truck a few days ago, hopped in to go and it's suddenly like my battery was removed. Then after a few seconds a strange thumping sound from under my battery. Hurriedly I open the hood to see what's up. No power of any kind but this thumping sound! WTH? Check my battery voltage....6.5 volts........disconnect the battery and the thumping stops. New battery ...........everything is back to normal. Just a heads up. LOL I have no idea what happened, does anyone out there know?

A little too new for me. Something getting low voltage to make the sound. It's weird the battery went that fast while in use.

• Like 1

There is an evap purge solenoid undee the battery. Could have been trying to actuate with low voltage? Only thing down there i can think of that could make a thumping noise?

• Like 2

I'm gonna guess that you just experienced a Massive short across one or more of the battery cells. Its probably a cell inter-connect strap that failed and melted down inside the battery... you'd have to cut the top off the battery to see if there is a molten pool of lead in there to verify the source.

Your battery might have exploded if it were a flooded lead-acid type due to the massive volume of hydrogen gas that is released in a short event. AGMs are less likely to explode because the chemistry is different... hydrogen releases in AGMs are very small compared to flooded lead-acid.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

There is an evap purge solenoid undee the battery. Could have been trying to actuate with low voltage? Only thing down there i can think of that could make a thumping noise?

Yes, it sounded like a solenoid. I guessed that the computer was trying to send some kind of signal but just confused what ever that was.

• Like 1

I had the same thing happen to me 3 years ago with my truck after getting gas but Without the knocking noise.  Was weird how fast the battery decided to die. Luckily I was getting gas at a Sams Club so I got the new battery there.  

Alien analizer beam would be my first guess , second guess would be the alternator and / or  battery caused low voltage which cause  the controller to malfunction and miss fire ---- jsut a couple of wild guesses of course as I never experienced that one before 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Alien analizer beam would be my first guess

Thinking outside the box again ?? Between this ^^ and Bigfoot and the zombie apocalypse .... You @Bighanded and myself have got to chat... Lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

it's a dodge...they all make those weird noises !..lol. no..really..i have no clue ??.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i'll be the first here to say, after having almost 300k miles on my chevy Silverado 2000 , 5.3L, noises drive me insane..spec when I can't narrow it down !..lol. just the other day I thought my idle bearing went out again, ok, replaced it again. well crap..still had that dang loud squeaky noise ??!!. crawled down under the front, discovered that the air conditioner belt tensioner was bad ?, what a pain that was to change out !. what sucks about all this ?, dealerships dont just sell you the bearing ?, THEY MUST SELL YOU THE WHOLE PART !..lol. well..little do they know...those bearings will swap out !..lol. I wont get into detail how or why , but I will say..yes..they can be changed out !..lol.  

• Like 3

Recently changed a idler on a customers 6.7 dodge. It is a cast iron assembly.  I changed the assembly And it was expensive. I think it was $180 and I kept the old one As I have a 6.7    Going to try and match up the bearings one day.  

• Like 2

On 1/23/2020 at 9:22 AM, shadetree said:

it's a dodge...they all make those weird noises !..lol. no..really..i have no clue ??.

I wasn't gonna be the first to say it...but....yep.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:26 PM, _Wilson_™ said:

Thinking outside the box again ?? Between this ^^ and Bigfoot and the zombie apocalypse .... You @Bighanded and myself have got to chat... Lol 

Wait....how'd I get pulled into this?...oh yeah.. "zombies!!!"   (grin)

• Like 2