Hello, I have a 2001 Honda Forman rubicon 500fa. I can’t get the gear indicator to stop flashing. There’s no pattern no codes retrievable. I’ve changed and checked sensors, replaced ecm nothing changes.

Edited by Chad S Taylor

Welcome aboard. 

You have a good strong battery on it?  Have you tried reinitializing the system?

The factory service manual is available free in PDF format.  Go to the toolbar under the forum logo and click on the "service manuals" button. 

Rubicon is under Honda, utility, and then 01-04 Rubicon

They are very temperamental electrically, but when running they are pleasant machines to ride.  Do NOT put any aftermarket electrical stuff on them (angle sensor, shift motor, etc).  They will not work right with anything other than OEM parts.

i do have good battery, i dont think its going through the relearning prosess, i never here the shift motor when the manual says i should. i have all the original sencors on it now, they all check good acording to the manual, i put a new oem ecu on it but no change.

Edited by Chad S Taylor

Did you try retrieving error codes?

Rubicon Hondamatic Code Retrieval
1. Put the gear shift lever in neutral (be sure the neutral indicator comes on) and the ignition switch OFF (vehicle at a stop).
2. While pushing the UP and DOWN shift switches (ESP) simultaneously, turn the ignition key to the on position.
3. Release the UP and DOWN switches immediately, then at the same time push both the UP and DOWN shift switches again and hold form more than 2 seconds.
4. The problem code is displayed by a certain number of blinks “ - - “ on the gear indicator, which indicates the problem code by the number of blinks. If “N” (neutral) stays ON on the position indicator, the retrieval process was not correctly performed. Repeat the procedures from step one at this time.)
5. When the problem code(s) displays, release the shift switches.

From my understanding it will blink like that to show you there's an error code that needs to be retrieved.

@toodeep you have any ideas?

when i did the code retrieval prosses just now it showed a solid N in the gear selection and the D1 is on?

Edited by Chad S Taylor

If there's no blinking it should be ready to ride.  Is the gear selector under the meter in D1? 

2 hours ago, Chad S Taylor said:

it starts blinking -- as soon as machine is started, it is in D1

Is it blinking a pattern now? 

Are D1/D2/ESP all blinking as well?

With no error codes, it's probably a loose connection or iffy battery ground etc.

Probably going to be tough to track down.  My FIL's had that D1/D2/ESP constant blinking and even though it started fine and ran, a new battery fixed the issue.

I'd unhook the battery for a few mins, make sure it's fully charged up/ topped off, and then maybe even hook some jumper cables to another 12V battery, and see if there's any change.

If not, remove fenders, start unplugging every plug you see, and clean out connectors with CRC contact cleaner, dialectic grease the plugs, and plug them back together.

Let's just say I found the situation you're in to be extremely frustrating, and while I did get his to stop, I'm not really sure what I did to it to make it stop.  

Probably not very encouraging, but hang in there!  @toodeep has quite a bit of experience with these.  Maybe he can offer additional suggestions.