Freedomflyer

New to this one

Thanks for the invite, I know I'm not in the Honda club anymore but I have to say the people on that forum are by far the friendliest  guys over all the other forums I've checked out. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Have also enjoyed sharing pics of our rides as well. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I don't really care what you ride but it does make me curious... Good friends, conversations and helping each other is what the forums about, not what machine you have.

Welcome FF! Its great to see ya again! This is a fun place, have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks TBRider and toodeep,  Fun to be a part of such a great group of guys. I have learned a lot from the forums as well as youtube, I just enjoy the stories and expreriences that everyone shares.  Those are my sentiments as well, in the short time that we've been involved in this wonderful sport, (4 years) it's about going out and having fun and enjoying our areas we get to ride and the company of the people that we are with. I think one of the best times my wife and I have ever had was with a group of people that had a mishmash of machines. Anyone that had any issues was immediately helped out by everyone, I even had some carburetor issues with a Grizzly that I owned at the time. Everyone stood around scratching their heads along with me,  eventually hooked a tow strap on and took turns pulling me 15 miles out. Ended up needing a carburetor rebuild and a new petcock, once that was replaced ran like a top. To me it's just getting out with folks and enjoying what God has created for us.

As for what we ride.......we ended up settling on Can Am's. We started with a 2013 Honda Rancher, picked up an old '98 Kawasaki Praire 400 with only 234 miles on it, that thing was awesome, ran like a top. Cleaned it up some and repainted the wheels and sold it for $1000 more than I paid for it, then picked up the 2008 Grizzly 400 with only 282 miles on it owned it for a summer and the wife said she wanted another Rancher so found another '13 Rancher and rode them for a couple years, my wife then decided that as dependable as they were (ARE) they just were too hard on her back.  It wasn't worth recovering for a week and a half after every ride, the solid rear axle and 1 shock swing arm just beat her to death. So in order to keep her interested in the sport I started looking for machines with IRS and 2 years ago came across a 2018 Can Am 570 Outlander with 38 miles on it.  The guy was in trouble with his wife for having too many toys and had to unload it, it still had a warranty and it was about $1500 less than brand new.  He must of really needed to get rid of it because he brought it to me all the way from Boise Idaho to Bozeman. (500 miles) We've had it for almost two years and it has been an unbelievable dream to ride, power steering made all the difference in the world for my wife. We liked it so much we sold the 2nd Rancher and I drove down to Loveland Colorado and picked up another Outlander later that summer. A 2016 570 2-up, that particular machine unfortunately didn't have power steering but was still much smoother to drive and be a passenger on.  Then this last October I happened across another '16 570 2-up in a town about 80 miles from us that had everything I wanted, Power steering, heated grips, winch, plow mount, and brand new Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 radial tires with only 392 miles. I bought it sight unseen and drove over and picked it up, hated the yellow color but switched the plastics from my other Red 2-up Outlander and put my old one on Craigslist, sold it in 7 days for $100 less than I paid for the one with all of the upgrades.  Looking forward to spring already so we can get out again. So............even though I jumped to the dark side, I have always enjoyed the guys from the Honda forum and they haven't held it against me too much. LOL. I just really love the camaraderie that seems to be there. Here's a couple of pics of our current rides. Not the Yellow one, that's my old one I sold, this is after I switched the plastics out. The Green on and red one are our current rides.  If Honda ever comes out with a 2-up machine,  I'll be back😎

20190922_192500.jpg

20190923_124447.jpg

20180730_210144.jpg

• Like 3

Retro, bcsman, riverc, and _Wilson_, Thanks.  Retro and Wilson, thanks for all you guys do, you guys are truly amazing, love the rebuilds wish I had a 100th of your talent and knowledge. I thought I was doing good when I pulled the plastics off of my Ranchers and applied the graphics kits. LOL.

20160601_182511 (2).jpg

• Like 3

The ranchers look pretty sweet. One thing about Honda, they are no frills. They don't go out of their way to make a machine with a lot of options. I don't blame you for what your riding especially in the trail aspect. The rotax motor is very powerful and they fixed the frame issues over the years so they are decent machines. Is the machine with power steering new enough to be adjustable?  I like reading and learning about all the machines (I'm not afraid of a belt drive) so don't be afraid to post about them.

Yes both of them have 3 different settings, They have a crazy amount of power, more than I will ever need, our trails are just narrow, we have specific trails for 50" machines, they weave and switch back all through the National Forest Service. If these 570's were any bigger it would be hard to negotiate  some of the switch backs.  I did love the simplicity of the Honda's and they sipped the fuel I consistently got over 40 miles to the gallon with the fuel injection. and even at 28 horsepower it was plenty when my wife and  I were riding double, all boiled down to the suspension and no power steering.

Thanks F250 guy.  Been looking at the Hatfield and McCoy trail system looks pretty cool. But boy is that a long way to go for me to ride. LOL

I don't know about all the rest of you guys , but in my book , no matter what you ride , you can ride with me , as long as I don't have to pull you too much LOL ---- now , you might get put in the barrel now and then , but that's what buddies are for !!! 

Welcome FF .... 

• Like 3

Given the amount of beer we usually drink when riding, even the Hondas have too much power.

Guy with some land close to us bought a big Renegade, moving up from a Rincon.  He said he was down checking his hog traps, drinking beer, and got whisky throttle trying to get out of a hole and about ran over himself with it.  Said it had too much power for him and he was sticking to his SxS from now on (also a Can Am)

• Like 3

FF , pic  didn't want to  load to chat , so I stuck the pic here , BRP650 three seater , LOL  fullsizeoutput_57.jpegthink it was 2006 , it was traded in for $1,500 , I priced the parts at $1000 to get it back right , then some tires , I could keep myself in the butt for not buying it 

• Like 1

Image result for bombardier traxter 2-up

Fish I found it on line it was called a Bombardier Traxter 500XT 2-up. It came out in 2005 evidently was the precursor to the Can Am Max XT's

• Like 1

Fish,  I would expect nothing less, LOL!!! Man I wish you guys could come and experience some these mountain trails. The riding season is never long enough and we Never seem to get out enough during the sason. I am seriously toying with buying a set of tracks so I can continue to ride on BLM After the forest service trail shut down for the year.  Then some of the snowmobile trails would be fair game as well. However a set of tracks is about the same cost as a whole other two up machine. Then you have the issue of the Adapters and then there some sort of module you need to buy so that it doesn't rack up more miles than you're actually driving. So I really have to consider the cost. Not to mention the extra weight common each of those tracks are 80 to 90 pounds so you're adding another 400 pounds or so to your quad. But boy do the YouTube videos look fun.

• Like 1

Check out this version of the 500 , I did find a lot of 500s from 2003-2005  , not too many 650s , I am starting to think the 650 replaced the 500 in2006 and might have been a one year production 

2005_Bombardier_Traxter_XL5005Speed._CB502830548_.jpg

57 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Check out this version of the 500 , I did find a lot of 500s from 2003-2005  , not too many 650s , I am starting to think the 650 replaced the 500 in2006 and might have been a one year production 

2005_Bombardier_Traxter_XL5005Speed._CB502830548_.jpg

John Deere buck ATV I think.

1 minute ago, F250 guy said:

John Deere buck ATV I think.

John Deere may have put their name on it , it is a BRP , no doubt -- Bombardier Recreational Products , mother company of Can-Am 

• Thanks 1