jeepwm69

How much air is too much to set a bead

Mounted some new bear claws on my buddy's Rincon factory wheels yesterday.  The bead is fine for about 2/3 of the rim, but the last 1/3 won't pop out.  I put a LOT of air in them trying to pop the bead on, but got worried I was going to explode the tire.

I think today I'm going to break the bead down on that side and grease everything and try again.  How much air pressure is too much when it comes to setting the beads?

7479DC85-58C7-4257-9013-F389F2EB34F9.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd say not over 35 psi....but i most likely wouldn't go above 30.... The only time i ever witnessed a atv tire explode due to seating... Was up LJ... By watching his reaction .... He had it tight! said it was 40 when it blew.... The tire a mudlite at was defective ... He said..., n this was after it poped.. But it blew his cap clean accross the shop... 

Bearclaws will look that way. The "bead" is seated but the rim guard isn't large enough to cover the outer lip of the wheel. Ride it and let it stretch out and usually they look normal over time.

i always grease my rims along the inner bead...and the tire bead...this helps the tire to pop out ( seat ) pretty fast. i never paid any attention to the air pressure though ?. also..let the tires sit out in the sun for a bit...this also helps them stretch.

• Like 2

i had a bud tell me to put a strap around the centre of the tire tread while you are seating it to force it more sideways. Pretty sure ive had them over 50lb pressure seating them 🤣

• Like 1

16 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

I'd say not over 35 psi....but i most likely wouldn't go above 30.... The only time i ever witnessed a atv tire explode due to seating... Was up LJ... By watching his reaction .... He had it tight! said it was 40 when it blew.... The tire a mudlite at was defective ... He said..., n this was after it poped.. But it blew his cap clean accross the shop... 

Well I got them done yesterday before I saw any of these responses.

I finally got them by using some lube on the rim and the bead, but even then I had to repeatedly break the bead and start over again airing them up.

I finally set my compressor regulator to 75 lbs and aired them up until they popped into place LOL

• Like 5

Carefull brother man...lol! I gotta ask how ballooned did they get ?! I forgot the lube part.. I might as well ask this too..sigh... Did you just want a ball park guess as to how much pressure ?! Being you did them before checking your post response.... I had to laugh... Because i recall being a tire monkey.. And looking at some of newbies expressions while waiting for the tire to pop out... They learn real quick where NOT to put those fingers before the tire pops..... I'm not going into split rims.... But talk about deadly ..... I'm glad those are banned now.. Least i think in some states they are.. 

17 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Carefull brother man...lol! I gotta ask how ballooned did they get ?! I forgot the lube part.. I might as well ask this too..sigh... Did you just want a ball park guess as to how much pressure ?! Being you did them before checking your post response.... I had to laugh... Because i recall being a tire monkey.. And looking at some of newbies expressions while waiting for the tire to pop out... They learn real quick where NOT to put those fingers before the tire pops..... I'm not going into split rims.... But talk about deadly ..... I'm glad those are banned now.. Least i think in some states they are.. 

Oh I was puckered big time, but surprisingly, the tires didn't really balloon too bad.  I have another set to mount on his kid's 420 rims, and will grease the beads on those before I even get started. 

I've never really had any problems with beads popping into place until these Bear Claws.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Oh I was puckered big time, but surprisingly, the tires didn't really balloon too bad.  I have another set to mount on his kid's 420 rims, and will grease the beads on those before I even get started. 

I've never really had any problems with beads popping into place until these Bear Claws.

just grease the rim beads, and grease the tire beads, they will '' seat '' every time pretty fast.

Yeah.... I thought tire hide n thickness  could be an issue, when LJ told me defective mudlite ....i thought Nah but i just went along i think he made that comment because he sent the blown tire back.. N they replaced it no charge at all... That's just one of many reasons i favor mudlites they value there customers..... Without doing a search those bear claws ? R those the ones that resemble tractor tread long bar cleat tread ? 

Look like this. @toodeep has said they are great tires if you want something that isn't a dedicated mud tire.

My buddy has a tire account through his farm, so I need to see how cheap he got them.  LOL

bear claw.jpg

I start getting nervous about 50 psi ----- I read you got it to seat , but here are a few thoughts for others

Beat the tire with a maul or bounce it on the ground >>>>>  

Use the ratchet strap like ATC mentioned >>>>

Soapy solutions , WD40 or such or I have been told by tire guys and seen it work for them ,  when getting the tires to break off the bead as well as seating them , use gasoline , it creeps into tight spaces *  you can see that when checking valve seats , water won't leak thru when gas will 

And if you not scared  to live dangerous , knock the bead seat off , put a shot of starting  fluid into the tire and hit it with a light , whooooop