Freedomflyer

Banished

FF. Our Renegade is a 800R XXC, It came with the fox shocks. Huge upgrade from the kawi Brute, but complete overkill for her riding style. We have tons of rocky trails and that thing eats them up, and another reason why I love my 700xx. That quad can really manage the rough stuff and some asked if it was a 4x4. As for the fox shocks I have seen them on ebay every now and then and other inferior forums for decent prices. Fox worth it? I'd absolutely buy them for another quad. 

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

Also see you're from the Black Hills, where exactly?  My in-laws live in Rapid, as they are aging we are trying to get down there more often so see them. We were down at Thanksgiving and ended up staying an extra day due to the snow they got.  Have thought about bringing the machines down but not really sure about the riding areas, I know there are a lot of road type areas, wondering if there are any 50" only trails? Be cool if we could link up sometime. FF

I currently live in Rapid City and been in the Hills better part of 30 years. Lots of riding options, and there are trails open year around as well! About the trails.. 50" only is pretty rare in the hills, well the South Dakota part anyway. Most are on the Wyoming side, 62" is the norm.

We are always looking to ride so anyone's welcome to join!

8 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Lol!  I will say that was one thing I never worried about when I was  Out on the ranchers was getting back or Breaking down. I can say so far   These machines have been very reliable. Yeah if funds were unlimited I might just have 1000 ATV, 1000 trail Maverick, and 2 or 3 sitting around for when we had company. Course if funds were unlimited I could fly people in and take them riding lol

haha..well..if you get the funds that high ?, i'll come over...but it dang sure wont be on a plane !..lol. if I cant get there by road ?, I wont go !..lol.

Just pick me up on the way by shade.. We still have roads up here but this time of year they sometimes disappear.  

I had to ride a 660 raptor on the Centennial trail by Nemo (some rocky uphill sections) and I would have preferred the IRS on that 700x. The guy that brought it couldn't ride it worth a .... so we traded machines for the rest if the day.  I need to get back out to the hills for some riding. Last time I was on that section it was still 50in and we had to take the gate off to fit a 800 sportsman through it. 

We went to Nemo about 7 or 8 years ago for a family reunion, we weren't riding at the time so didn't pay any attention to the trails, saw a lot of different machines running around there but they seemed to be of the wider variety. My in-laws live in Rapid, may just have to bring ours down one of these times.  I'm assuming  I would need to purchase a trail permit, any idea what that runs? can you buy it for a few days? or is it better to just purchase for the Year?  We are fortunate, when we get a license plate for ours we can purchase a separate off road sticker that is permanent so it's just a one time fee for plate and off road sticker.

Is an 800 Polaris that much bigger? I thought most ATV's were under 50" by a couple of inches, my Can Am's with stock tires are 46". Interesting. Well if you load up and head this way I'll take ya out LOL.

4 hours ago, toodeep said:

Just pick me up on the way by shade.. We still have roads up here but this time of year they sometimes disappear.  

I had to ride a 660 raptor on the Centennial trail by Nemo (some rocky uphill sections) and I would have preferred the IRS on that 700x. The guy that brought it couldn't ride it worth a .... so we traded machines for the rest if the day.  I need to get back out to the hills for some riding. Last time I was on that section it was still 50in and we had to take the gate off to fit a 800 sportsman through it. 

My brother in law rides a raptor and the trails here sure slow those down. Lol, yeah I love the IRS on the XX. Sure wish they had marketed them better, an amazing machine.

1 hour ago, Freedomflyer said:

We went to Nemo about 7 or 8 years ago for a family reunion, we weren't riding at the time so didn't pay any attention to the trails, saw a lot of different machines running around there but they seemed to be of the wider variety. My in-laws live in Rapid, may just have to bring ours down one of these times.  I'm assuming  I would need to purchase a trail permit, any idea what that runs? can you buy it for a few days? or is it better to just purchase for the Year?  We are fortunate, when we get a license plate for ours we can purchase a separate off road sticker that is permanent so it's just a one time fee for plate and off road sticker.

Is an 800 Polaris that much bigger? I thought most ATV's were under 50" by a couple of inches, my Can Am's with stock tires are 46". Interesting. Well if you load up and head this way I'll take ya out LOL.

7 days is $20 or a year $25.. 

62" in SD

"The South Dakota portion of the Black Hills National Forest boasts one of the largest motorized trail systems in a National Forest that is open to vehicles 62 inches or less in width. It currently consists of more than 3,600 miles of open roads—over 680 miles are designated trails for Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV)—and has 21 designated motorized trailheads."

50" in WY

"Please note that the State of Wyoming requires a separate permit when operating an OHV in Wyoming. There is no reciprocity for out-of-state registrations. The Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest is subject to different regulations. The motorized trails in the Wyoming portion of the Black Hills National Forest are open to vehicles 50 inches or less in width."

Here's some info from the horses mouth. I highly recommend the Avenza map! 

https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/store/permits-passes/2020-black-hills-national-forest-motorized-trail-permit-annual-pass

On 1/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, Fishfiles said:

When I think about it , I ride with quite a few Can-Am'ers  , they are just hit and miss kind of people and not regulars , I think it is becuase they are always working on them or waiting for money to work on them  , LOL 

All joking aside ---  my buddy and his wife both have 800s , hers is fixed up pretty well and she can ride it -------  but his is insane , he told me he has $8K above what the bike cost in performance parts  ,  Looney Tune exhaust , programmer , clutch kit , motor work , trailing bars , Maverich rear end mod , radiaotor relocation , hd axles, and all kinds of other mods , and  it screams  

On 1/23/2020 at 10:01 AM, Freedomflyer said:

LedFTed, 

That's fine I don't mind at all. That's cool, always wanted to paint. Before my dad passed away he was pretty limited to what he could do physically so he took a painting class. He painted 6 different paintings so each of us kids got one. Maybe some day I'll do it. Have at it👍

i cant paint. but will try do do some justice too those mts.

On 1/23/2020 at 7:15 PM, Freedomflyer said:

Awe come on Shade, where's your sense of adventure? LOL

my sense of adventure is just dandy !, its the death part that has alot to think about !..lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Near death can be worse than death it's self , at least with death you shouldn't feel that much pain , surviving can be painful , LOL 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Freedomflyer said:

Post pics when you're done 

i'd be to embarresed

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Near death can be worse than death it's self , at least with death you shouldn't feel that much pain , surviving can be painful , LOL 

Quite painful lol's

Edited by LedFTed
forget things

On 1/23/2020 at 9:35 AM, Fishfiles said:

I can tell by the condition of yours.  That you take care of them.  Totally different riding you’ll do.  Looks like you would even need working brakes in those mountains  lol ——  I would have a couple of can-and if funds were unlimited.  One to ride while the other Is being Worked on. Might need 3.    If I hit the lotto I would hire a full time mechanic To keep them running too.  Lol

Wait.... ATVs have brakes?! .. guess none of us around here have working brakes cause the mud gonna stop ya. Lol

FF, I would love to ride out there, just not my bike, it'd kill me or someone else 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:09 PM, Fishfiles said:

i know when i got stomped by a small horse, it took 19 years for i could sleep on my left side. still aint comfortable.

Edited by LedFTed
just had too.