adam

TRX350 FE Full rebuild!

Hey guys,

Adam here from Australia! Hope you're all well :)

A few years ago I purchased a 2000 TRX350 FE ES with a bit of shift issue - well, I'm sure you've heard the rest a thousand times before!

To say it had a rough life is an understatement. Working my way through the repair manual, I eventually found the culprit. Basically the last piece to be pulled from the entire machine - the shift drum - with its shaft broken off.

I have ordered a new one from a 2002 model with the larger shaft, to be sent from Japan in the next month hopefully!

In the process of dismantling I decided to rebuild the thing completely and replace any dodgy parts that needed replacing. I removed rust from the frame and resprayed it and will do the same to the other metal components.

I've replaced the angle sensor, oil temp sensor, and gear position switch.

The case is in bits and that's why I'm here! I've found some really insightful threads from some very knowledgeable people on this site and no doubt I'll need to tap into that. 

Wish me luck on this journey guys!

Cheers,

Adam

quad1.jpg

quad2.jpg

• Like 4

Hey Adam, welcome to you.  You have sent this from a long ways away, down under, bet it took a few days to get here.....lol  You certainly have it stripped down, there are numerous members here that have the TRX 350's.  I'll bet you get some good advice if you need it.  Heading into winter down there huh, just finally getting warm up here......

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bcsman said:

Hey Adam, welcome to you.  You have sent this from a long ways away, down under, bet it took a few days to get here.....lol  You certainly have it stripped down, there are numerous members here that have the TRX 350's.  I'll bet you get some good advice if you need it.  Heading into winter down there huh, just finally getting warm up here......

Thanks mate - yep starting to cool down a bit - especially where I am!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Hi Adam, welcome to the forums (waving a hand from across the pond) 

Thanks mate - good to be here!

• Like 1

How hard is getting parts over there, some older models are getting tough here in the states?

4 minutes ago, bcsman said:

How hard is getting parts over there, some older models are getting tough here in the states?

I had sources for the shift drum about a year ago (Partzilla and a couple other online suppliers) however I didn't have the funds at the time and they sold out. I was close to buying a used one from a 2000 model from a wrecker (salvage) but reeeeeeaaaallly didn't want to put a used one in not knowing the history, etc.. I found a Japanese OEM supplier (yumbo) and ordered one through them. Hopefully I don't get ripped off and they send the part. It set me back about $150AU so if it comes it's definitely good value.

Parts in Australia are difficult to come buy for these bikes. They have all dried up in the used market.

• Like 3

Same here, sometimes get lucky on Ebay but have to be careful it's not a China knockoff part.

Here is a used ATV parts site alot of guys here check out, mostly used....

https://www.powersportsnation.com/

Just now, bcsman said:

Same here, sometimes get lucky on Ebay but have to be careful it's not a China knockoff part.

100% 

I really don't want to have to split the case again after this!

Check out the link I posted, not sure what they would charge to ship your way tho.....

Sorry, where do I find the link mate?

4 posts ^^^^^ I edited to add it...

• Like 1

Welcome toATVHonda.  Retro’s thread on ES preventative  maintainance is something you should read thru.    And Retro’s Cremesickle 350 thread would be another good read

where  in Australia do you call home. Always wanted to do a walk about down under. 

• Like 2

I rebuilt a 2005 for my middle kid.  I had an extra 2000 350 engine that I actually used, and while I had it apart I replaced that early shift drum with the later part.  Have to knock out that needle bearing that supports the rear in order to put in the newer part, but she hasn't had any problems with it since I put it back together.  Been a neat little nimble machine.  I actually like riding it better than I do my 500's.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

where  in Australia do you call home. Always wanted to do a walk about down under. 

Thanks for the tips! 

I'm in Bremer Bay on the south coast of Western Australia. Probably about as far away from anywhere else in the world!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I rebuilt a 2005 for my middle kid.  I had an extra 2000 350 engine that I actually used, and while I had it apart I replaced that early shift drum with the later part.  Have to knock out that needle bearing that supports the rear in order to put in the newer part, but she hasn't had any problems with it since I put it back together.  Been a neat little nimble machine.  I actually like riding it better than I do my 500's.

It was great fun when it was running. Loads of power! Great for the beaches down here.

Hey guys,

I need a new manual shift shaft - can someone please confirm the part required? I think it might be 24611-HN5-A10 but not 100% sure...

To be clear it's the shaft used to shift the box when the ES is not working/flat battery, etc.. You use the tool provided.

The previous owner welded a peg to it so it could be used to shift manually by foot. Seriously. 

You are correct on the part number.  Looks like it is discontinued though.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2005/trx350fe-a-fourtrax-rancher-4x4-es/gearshift-fork

When I rebuilt my kid's 350ES I replaced that with a footshift shaft, which is splined on the end, and attached a factory footshifter to it.  Then I removed the reduction gears under the ES shift motor and now the machine is a footshift.

Point being, if you were to put a footshifter shaft on there, even if you continue to use it as an ES, you could then put a splined factory footshifter on it at any time if needed.

Looks like shipping is going to maul you as all of the listings on ebay AU are shipping from the US.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124486896657?hash=item1cfbff4c11:g:ncoAAOSwzJZf18ni&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0HzTA1P94h9HT3zWkbZTG7BQbB2Nxej9xLhIJs2HGb3GNHUrJQa2BMIhIOOI%2F1s5hgzdIXQrFRk9fq3wFr6QVRP52MUBkTtonAjbyS18F32fm4cKNwxbQL2p4YYxNokF408U20sMwVcjX8RPUJG2%2Fa33uVnTxH%2BhPFIzNsJ%2BmZu4skfV4BHOEWAoZvFPm%2FmS7WIupiiTfSFRBawMZ5dIiudgA2b2wX3X8eKMlABO46JcHj8iD0VMyKxU96N4p12vxQkRfZTuX57N8zGjX1usfWA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_7Z8uCAYg

• Like 1

Welcome and good luck with the rebuild!

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 10:30 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Point being, if you were to put a footshifter shaft on there, even if you continue to use it as an ES, you could then put a splined factory footshifter on it at any time if needed.

Does shifting manually risk damaging the ES system?

On 5/11/2023 at 6:38 PM, adam said:

Does shifting manually risk damaging the ES system?

You’ll fight the shift motor, but otherwise no.  The 350 transmissions are the same whether footshift or ES.

I removed the gears under the shift motor on my kid’s 350ES, so now it drives and shifts exactly like a footshift 

21 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You’ll right the shift motor, but otherwise no.  The 350 transmissions are the same whether footshift or ES.

I removed the gears under the shift motor on my kid’s 350ES, so now it drives and shifts exactly like a footshift 

Yeah from the way I interpret the user manual, shifting with the manual over-ride will disable the ES system which can be reset by powering off and then on again. I'm just wondering what caused the shift drum shaft to snap off in the first place. They seem to have very little resistance against the shift sensor. 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:35 PM, adam said:

Yeah from the way I interpret the user manual, shifting with the manual over-ride will disable the ES system which can be reset by powering off and then on again. I'm just wondering what caused the shift drum shaft to snap off in the first place. They seem to have very little resistance against the shift sensor. 

Just a weak design.  They were a known problem which is why Honda redesigned them in the newer 350's.

Hondas are the best, but they do occasionally get it wrong in the first go round.  At least when they upgrade a part it will usually swap right in.