Outnback

Pioneer 700-4D Winch Install

This forum area needs more activity, so I thought I would share some mods I did to my 700-4D.

I'm an Old Fart and with the lose of one arm, I depend greatly on my rigs to get me out of trouble when I have a "lapse in judgement". Generally I travel alone when scouting for critters (Think elk, deer, turkeys). Being able to winch off of the front or rear of the rig is important to me. So I decided to set the 700-4D up this way.

Installing a KFI front receiver was easy. Found it on E-bay, new but scratched, so made the seller a reasonable offer and they took it. I also mounted a rubber tube plug to keep it clean.

IMG_1778.jpg

A Warn VXR-35S was mounted to a homemade aluminum plate. The tongue on the plate is made from heavy wall aluminum. It's plenty strong enough and I would rather see the aluminum bend than damage the frame of the Pioneer. Went to E-bay again and found a set of Warn rear mount cables, think they were 10' in length. I used a 5ft. 8inch cable with quick connector for the front end. A 4ft. 4inch cable with quick connector was used on the rear. In addition, a 2ft. cable was used on the winch itself. The lengths of these cables would be determined by where you mount the winch contactor. I mounted my contactor under the passenger side seat. The winch and all my other lights and accessories are run off of a larger second battery (more on that later).

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

To store the winch when not in use, I installed an addition receiver up under the rear of the Pioneer box.

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

As a plus, the winch when stored stays relatively high and dry!

Edited by retro
Remove Viglink links
  • Like 3

Looks good.  Hypothetically, you could run wiring to the back and be able to winch yourself backwards if need be, provided that bracket is mounted to a sturdy enough spot.

13 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks good.  Hypothetically, you could run wiring to the back and be able to winch yourself backwards if need be, provided that bracket is mounted to a sturdy enough spot.

Guess I could have explained that better. Moving the winch down to the factory receiver tube for pulling is how it is designed. Think the high mount would put too much leverage on the location it is mounted too. Yep, that bracket isn't going to give, the frame would bend first. There is rear wiring and a quick connector installed behind the high mount so I can pull off either end.   :classic_smile:

18 minutes ago, Outnback said:

Guess I could have explained that better. Moving the winch down to the factory receiver tube for pulling is how it is designed. Think the high mount would put too much leverage on the location it is mounted too. Yep, that bracket isn't going to give, the frame would bend first. There is rear wiring and a quick connector installed behind the high mount so I can pull off either end.   :classic_smile:

Ah I gotcha.  Didn't look closely and notice there's a receiver in the regular spot down below. 

Nice setup!

More than once I could have used a winch on the rear of mine. Mounting a winch in the place Honda designed it to be mounted makes it a pain to use. Having it out in the open would make it much easier when free spooling it.

• Like 1