Boweval

Cluctch Problems

I have a situation with my 2006 foreman 500FM. After a complete rebuild I cranked it up and it ran smoothly. When I tried shifting it the shifter felt like it is engaging but the bike is not moving. There are several things I am kicking around about this problem. 

1. I did use a 0-W30 oil (unknowingly). Will the use of the wrong oil cause the centrifugal clutch not to engage? 
I ask this because the manual states the the clutch (once remove) should move counterclockwise but not clockwise. My clutch will move either way but if some pressure is applied it will grab clockwise.

2. The washer between the crank and housing bearing was left out. I don’t know if the lack of tolerance from the trust washer would cause the clutch not to grab?

3. I used Permeatex gasket maker instead of a paper gasket. Will this cause the clutch not engage due to pressure? I know that the tolerance of the gasket is important in some aspects of the rebuild.

I have the front cover removed now and as I shift and spin the back wheels I can feel the shifter engaging tightly in first gear then looser as I go through the higher gears. I did pull the primary and secondary clutches apart. The secondary clutch is in spec and all discs are line up in the basket. The primary clutch is in spec as well. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to be thorough Any help would be appreciated. I’m an engine guy not a clutch or trans guy.

Ho , welcome to the forum , I would guess you pinched a friction plate when assembling the clutch , or misaligned the linkage 

Welcome to the forum.  First of all, yes, you have to use a gasket for proper clearance, so get a front cover gasket.

Your clutch adjuster should tighten up the shifting when you replace the front cover.

As for it not moving, as Fish pointed out, see if you can wiggle your clutch plates on the secondary clutch.  If you can move them at all they're pinched and you'll get a machine that won't move.  If they're loose you need to loosen the 4 bolts while wiggling the center and see if you can get them to pop/tighten up.  When the secondary is properly put together and tightened down there should be no movement/play in those clutch plates.

Let us know what you find!

Thanks Jeep and Fish. All is up and running. Of curse there is always something else. During the test drive the float on the carburetor bowl hung up. I’ll take care of that put the plastic on and start the next rebuild. A four cylinder Kubota engine. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Boweval said:

Thanks Jeep and Fish. All is up and running. Of course there is always something else. During the test drive the float on the carburetor bowl hung up. I’ll take care of that put the plastic on and start the next rebuild. A four cylinder Kubota engine. Thanks again. 

To stop a needle valve / float leak , first make sure the tank and the petcock is clean and has no  rust , grit , crystalized ethanal in it , good idea to have a filter , ( if the tank is left dirty , then after cleaning the carb the problem  will likely come right back )  clean the carb , you can use toothpaste and a Q-tip to polish the bore of the needle valve ---- put a shot glass of SeaFoam every tank fuel of " non-ethanol " gasoline 

What is the Kubota in ?  2403 ?

• Like 1

It’s a 3600 motor in a generator. The alternator belt tension rod broke and cut the belt. It ran til the radiator split open. Should be fun. In an earlier life I work for a Cat dealership and fleet as a truck engine mechanic. Recently I have been repairing atvs, gravellys, motors, etc for friends.  Without a deadline to meet its enjoyable and relaxing. Of course the wife thinks I crazy but understands. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Boweval said:

It’s a 3600 motor in a generator. The alternator belt tension rod broke and cut the belt. It ran til the radiator split open. Should be fun. In an earlier life I work for a Cat dealership and fleet as a truck engine mechanic. Recently I have been repairing atvs, gravellys, motors, etc for friends.  Without a deadline to meet its enjoyable and relaxing. Of course the wife thinks I crazy but understands. 

I always found Kubotas forgiving , seen them run really hot and survive , did it not shut down from high heat ? 

• Like 1