jeepwm69

Anyone here torn into a TRX125?

@basfnb dropped off his 85 TRX125 a few months ago.  He's been really whiny about it, so yesterday I finally dug into a little bit.

I've never worked on one of these little ones, but it seems that the subtransmission is a weak point that is known to fail, so I started there. 

Took the cover off, and inspected everything under it, and dont' see anything that looks amiss.

Next I looked at the shaft that interacts with that subtransmission, and I would think it should freewheel with the bike in Neutral, but it doesn't. 

Symptoms were no shifting.  It clicks into gear now using the shifter, but I can't find any position that this shaft freewheels. 

Anyone have any experience with the old 85-86 125's?

924E75D7-DB4F-4309-80D0-3153B5EC3F2A.jpeg

• Like 1

Jeep right off hand cmanningjr aka blue gloves.. But no one has seen him, last i heard was he's a tech of some sort at a medical facility in Cullman Alabama....that was years ago... He up and disappeared when the old forums went up in smoke..... Along with other great members....  

12 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

Jeep right off hand cmanningjr aka blue gloves.. But no one has seen him, last i heard was he's a tech of some sort at a medical facility in Cullman Alabama....that was years ago... He up and disappeared when the old forums went up in smoke..... Along with other great members....  

Yeah we lost some good ones for sure.

I haven't messed with a 125 before.  I have two I picked up for my kid in the hopes that I could put together one good runner for her, so guess I just need to tear into it and see what I find.

I do have some cell numbers.... I thought forsure i had his, but after looking through my books I'll be danged if i can find it... I'm with you on those models... Can't say I ever saw but just a hand full come up to the LJ's shop, but we most of the time rolled them in being .... There was usally a very expensive custom Harley ... Or a few in for this and that... So no riding any atv utv or dirt bike any other type if a Harley was on the floor... But if my memory is right.... Yes they should role free.... You reckon shade would know ? Of corse he's missing again.... Sure he's into something... I hope its nothing to do with his tractor Lol! Paging @shadetree

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yeah we lost some good ones for sure.

I haven't messed with a 125 before.  I have two I picked up for my kid in the hopes that I could put together one good runner for her, so guess I just need to tear into it and see what I find.

I would bet that the 125 is built on the same platform as another Honda model , maybe the 185 or the 110 , seen  Honda did that a lot Example  110 with a bigger jug maybe a 125 

Seems I remember Shade did some work on a 125 for his buddy a while back 

30 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I would bet that the 125 is built on the same platform as another Honda model , maybe the 185 or the 110 , seen  Honda did that a lot Example  110 with a bigger jug maybe a 125 

Seems I remember Shade did some work on a 125 for his buddy a while back 

I think I've seen that people use 110 transmission bits to fix 125's, so that would make sense. 

I next to check on Shade.  I'm sure he's doing "RLS" but haven't heard from him lately.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, _Wilson_™ said:

The 110 n 185 are atc models n the 125 is a trx ? (Don't know too much abou those models )

There was a 125 atc as well

• Thanks 1

i'm alive outlaws, just been really...REALLY busy lately !. @jeepwm69 , yes, i have had my hands on lots of those trx125's..i am old ya know !...lol. what do you want to know ?.

• Like 2

@jeepwm69 , read back at the top jeep, my first thought is a bad shift drum ?, thie sub-trannies are bad about bad shift drums, and weak shift forks ?. they do roll when in neutral.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, shadetree said:

@jeepwm69 , read back at the top jeep, my first thought is a bad shift drum ?, thie sub-trannies are bad about bad shift drums, and weak shift forks ?. they do roll when in neutral.

Hey man!  Glad your still kickin'  

This one "wouldn't shift".  It was like it was stuck in gear.

So I pulled the sub transmission expecting to see carnage (already had another sub transmission on hand) and everything looks good.

My question is, on that shaft you see in the video above in the first post.  When the machine is in neutral, shouldn't I be able to spin that shaft? 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Hey man!  Glad your still kickin'  

This one "wouldn't shift".  It was like it was stuck in gear.

So I pulled the sub transmission expecting to see carnage (already had another sub transmission on hand) and everything looks good.

My question is, on that shaft you see in the video above in the first post.  When the machine is in neutral, shouldn't I be able to spin that shaft? 

don't even need to watch the video ^^ ?, when in neutral, everything should turn easy and free. its no diff than any other gears in our newer trannies...they are work the same way ?, just made diff is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:01 AM, shadetree said:

don't even need to watch the video ^^ ?, when in neutral, everything should turn easy and free. its no diff than any other gears in our newer trannies...they are work the same way ?, just made diff is all.

Looks like I get to pull the motor and tear it down then.  Yay......

13 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Looks like I get to pull the motor and tear it down then.  Yay......

once apart, start looking at the shift forks and shift drum !.

• Thanks 1