riverc

Trouble with Rancher

Bike started right up,went riding was not sluggish ran fine.Stopped in the woods went to restart acted funny but started up.Rode about half mile stopped again went to restart and it would not start...What could be the problem it's under warranty.

On a lot of these newer ones just a touch of water in the fuel tank can cause instant issues and is more common than one would think. I would pull the tank cover off, remove the fuel line and use a hose to cycle some fuel into a clear container to check for water.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply,With being new don't think I am going to work on it.Going to take it to a dealer it's under warranty.Am just trying to get some feedback on possible causes.

Just thinking out loud , if you bring it in to the dealer and it is water in the fuel , they might not cover it under warranty ----- it might depend on the dealership -----

I know the new Bobcat Tier4 engines' fuel injection systems  are very delicate when it comes to water in the fuel system , and know a few people now that have paid $5k and up , cause it wasn't warrantied , to find that out 

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Just thinking out loud , if you bring it in to the dealer and it is water in the fuel , they might not cover it under warranty ----- it might depend on the dealership -----

I know the new Bobcat Tier4 engines' fuel injection systems  are very delicate when it comes to water in the fuel system , and know a few people now that have paid $5k and up , cause it wasn't warrantied , to find that out 

That's correct on warranty,will talk with them in morning and see what they say...I hope not ran that same fuel in rider mower no problem yet.

3 hours ago, Melatv said:

Was the display showing anything that wasn't normal?

Did not notice anything nothing caught my attention....It was running fine no signs of a problem till I stopped the first time was harder to start than it usually does.Second stop was a no go,did not start.

The fuel line is easy to remove from the pump. Pull the rubber keeper out of the way, push in on the line, squeeze the keeper lock together and pull it off. Should take a couple minutes to see if that's the issue. I've had some come in with less then 10 hours on them and all in had to do is cycle the water out of the system.  The fuel pump is at the bottom of the tank where water collects. 

• Like 2

sounds like a bad fuel pump to me. a lot of the trx420's had problems with fuel pumps on them.

If it was me I'd follow @shadetree, but I'd test the pressure first, if it's FI then if there isn't a port on the rail then unhook the main line and tee into it if you have the adapters and reconnect it, and check pressure. When HOT.

I'm not sure if Honda uses a common rail or direct injection, cause a throttle body only flows air, so I may be wrong on what I told you, but the information is useful.

Edited by F250 guy

@riverc, most of all if I were you I'd try to find a Sunoco station in your area that has the Optima Non Ethanol fuel, 92 octane. And treat it with 1oz per gallon of Seafoam. That'll cure your problem, also if you do go with my fuel fix, try to get at least 15 gallons or a girl caddy to store in, and keep the wheeler tank full at all times.

https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optima

Edited by F250 guy

Went  out this morning to see if bike  would start.Pushed the starter button and it started,let it sit and idle till it warmed up turned it off for a few minutes,started right up hit the throttle sounds good also seems to idle good

I don't know why it did that in the woods Saturday.

Edited by riverc

Hi: When you had trouble starting in the woods did you touch the throttle when starting the bike -- if so it will not let you start the bike for 15 seconds or more -- PCM looks at the throttle -- protecting the bike from taking off when you try to start it.

• Like 1

No,not that I remember,wife had to go over 2 miles to get truck and trailer.Took a while for her to get back.And it still would not start,it's been sitting on trailer since Saturday.Was getting ready to call dealer,thought I would see if it would start and it did...It's hot me puzzled why it did that.

I'd check/replace the spark plug before doing anything else. Maybe the porcelain is cracked, or the insulator cracked/shorted.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, retro said:

I'd check/replace the spark plug before doing anything else. Maybe the porcelain is cracked, or the insulator cracked/shorted.

5 hours ago, retro said:

Good idea,it's a year old will change it.

4 hours ago, Misterclean said:

I would take it to the shop and get the incident reported on paper.

Talked to them today about this problem,so they are aware.

• Like 1

You should have bought a 25 year old second hand , basket case 300 , that new stuff ain't what it is cracked up to be !!! --- LOL 

What about a vent on the fuel tank cap ? Wild guess , I don't have any fuel injected atvs and don't really know it a fuel injected bike acts the same as a carbureted bike as far as venting goes  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

You should have bought a 25 year old second hand , basket case 300 , that new stuff ain't what it is cracked up to be !!! --- LOL 

What about a vent on the fuel tank cap ? Wild guess , I don't have any fuel injected atvs and don't really know it a fuel injected bike acts the same as a carbureted bike as far as venting goes  

1 minute ago, Fishfiles said:

Man,not being a good mechanic been there done that with buying old used bikes.These day I like new with a 5 year warranty if something goes bad lol.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The fuel pump is inside the tank on these so it takes a long time before that causes issues. Water on the other hand, just a spoon full,  can cause instant issues. The ride home on the trailer might have mixed it up enough and the reason it started. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, riverc said:

Man,not being a good mechanic been there done that with buying old used bikes.These day I like new with a 5 year warranty if something goes bad lol.

@riverc, think of it like this. It's never a problem, it's a project. I'm thinking of tearing my 93 down and redoing it, new plastics " probably green, and mud guards from a 96 maybe 96 a arms to get ground clearance if they didn't change the frame for 2x4 in 95 up". Might even powder coat it. 

Edited by F250 guy

Quote : "  Man,not being a good mechanic been there done that with buying old used bikes.These day I like new with a 5 year warranty if something goes bad lol.  " Quote 

The difference is you don't need to be a good mechanic with an old school bike , with a new bike you don't need to be a good mechanic , you need to be a certified technician ... I doubt he warranty is  going to apply if water is the problem 

my buddy with the Can-Am  , he got a lot of  "free" warranty work done under his warranty, extended warranty and extended again warranty  , 5 weeks worth here , 3 weeks there , 2 weeks or here , I tease him about paying a note and not having a bike in his garage , just saying ---- 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

Quote : "  Man,not being a good mechanic been there done that with buying old used bikes.These day I like new with a 5 year warranty if something goes bad lol.  " Quote 

The difference is you don't need to be a good mechanic with an old school bike , with a new bike you don't need to be a good mechanic , you need to be a certified technician ... I doubt he warranty is  going to apply if water is the problem 

my buddy with the Can-Am  , he got a lot of  "free" warranty work done under his warranty, extended warranty and extended again warranty  , 5 weeks worth here , 3 weeks there , 2 weeks or here , I tease him about paying a note and not having a bike in his garage , just saying ---- 

Hope My Honda does better than the Can-Am lol.It starts giving me too much trouble and bye bye it goes,will get a new one lol

TooDeep ain't lying about the water , it don't take much water --- Shade ain't lying about might be your  fuel pump ----------- 

I seen the Can-Am crew here by the house , take on water in the fuel ,  pull the fuel pump out their  tanks , suck  the tank out and go get a new electric  pump at the auto parts ,  I think it is a Mazda automotive pump that  they use  , wire it in and be running again in a hour --- warranty would be about two weeks for them to be told water isn't covered 

I know you live close to me , the dew and humidity has been really high , the tanks sweet inside  if not kept full , and water gets into the tanks -----------  do you use non-ethanal and keep the tank full all the time , I have been told that water and ethanal fuel don't mix well 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1