riverc

Trouble with Rancher

The most common problem I seen on these newer ranchers is moisture will get into the wiring just below the fuse panel and corrode the wire inside the protective covering. Fuel pump will quit working, codes will be flashing and everything "looks" good.  The first one was a pain to find the broken wire.  Other than that they have been good machines besides the left rear wheel bearing that is common on a lot of machines from the mid 90s to today.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

TooDeep ain't lying about the water , it don't take much water --- Shade ain't lying about might be your  fuel pump ----------- 

I seen the Can-Am crew here by the house , take on water in the fuel ,  pull the fuel pump out their  tanks , suck  the tank out and go get a new electric  pump at the auto parts ,  I think it is a Mazda automotive pump that  they use  , wire it in and be running again in a hour --- warranty would be about two weeks for them to be told water isn't covered 

I know you live close to me , the dew and humidity has been really high , the tanks sweet inside  if not kept full , and water gets into the tanks -----------  do you use non-ethanal and keep the tank full all the time , I have been told that water and ethanal fuel don't mix well 

I have used Lucas and now Stabil with every fill just like I do on my rider mower and my 96 Mercury 150 EFI.Also use Lucas in the old 7.3  Powerstroke.

No I do not have tank full about a quarter will fill it with some fresh gas,this time will try Exxon not Murphy's and yes it has been wet in the morning,we had heavy fog this morning.

Everything over here has been  soaked in the morning ---- I try to keep my tanks full and I have long screw drivers in the trunks on almost all my bikes , many times now I have drained carb bowl drains , out in the woods and got it going again 

34 minutes ago, toodeep said:

The most common problem I seen on these newer ranchers is moisture will get into the wiring just below the fuse panel and corrode the wire inside the protective covering. Fuel pump will quit working, codes will be flashing and everything "looks" good.  The first one was a pain to find the broken wire.  Other than that they have been good machines besides the left rear wheel bearing that is common on a lot of machines from the mid 90s to today.  

Thanks,That's good to know,been a long time since I have been able to get back to atving.Back in the 80's and 90's I had 3 Wheelers 110 and 185s.They were good  bikes and easier to work on for sure even for me.

Yeah I did try to take the Rubicant for a swim that one time. Turned out the fuel tank vent is extremely low on the new machines, unless they've moved it. Anyway, bit of water in the tank all it took, would pump fuel to the injector but injector wouldn't or couldn't spray it. I didn't have time to fix it, I was working and needed the machine, dealer had it done for me in a couple days but IIRC cost me around $300. Warranty doesn't cover stupid, I didn't expect it to. Took my lumps and moved on. Added bonus was that a bear ate my seat off it the night before too. That was another $300 lesson lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

well put some fresh gas (Fill Up) bike started like it should rode for over 10 miles slow and up to 30 mph.No signs of a problem get back home turned it off,waited a few minutes it started for about 5 seconds and quit lol.Well when i started it up to go riding heard that hum sound of fuel pump.....After it quit i tried again and listened no hum from fuel pump,will let it sit a few hours and see if i hear fuel pump come on.

Check the terminals at the connectors at the relays and see if any have moisture or if a terminal isnt inserted all the way. 

20200130_153726.jpg

• Like 3

Did you ever take all the gas out of the tank yet --- would guess you don't have a drain port since you have a fuel pump so draining it might be hard 

Well went out to check what you said before i got that far,Turned key switch on and heard fuel pump come on bike fired right up,sounds good.It's like when bike cools down it starts right up,not sure what's going on never had anything do that before.It may be best being new to just take it to dealer and let them work on it.

• Like 1

Being a mechanic, sometimes it's really hard to duplicate an issue and I would hate for you to be wasting trips trying to get it fixed. Try letting it idle long enough (or after a short ride that mechanic would be able to do) to get it warmed up good (if cooling fan comes on even better) and see if the pump quits after you shut it down. If you can tell the mechanic how to duplicate the problem it will help them (and you) a lot. I use to have a heavy blanket I used to cover the machine and make them warm up faster trying to duplicate problems.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, toodeep said:

Being a mechanic, sometimes it's really hard to duplicate an issue and I would hate for you to be wasting trips trying to get it fixed. Try letting it idle long enough (or after a short ride that mechanic would be able to do) to get it warmed up good (if cooling fan comes on even better) and see if the pump quits after you shut it down. If you can tell the mechanic how to duplicate the problem it will help them (and you) a lot. I use to have a heavy blanket I used to cover the machine and make them warm up faster trying to duplicate problems.

Hey toodeep thanks for the help you did your best on what i am describing and not being with the bike.I ain't  fooling with it no more its headed to the dealer in the morning.If you weren't so far away i would bring it to your shop lol.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Fuel filter on the fuel pump maybe the problem.

Maybe will find out when dealer looks at it.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, Fishfiles said:

TooDeep ain't lying about the water , it don't take much water --- Shade ain't lying about might be your  fuel pump ----------- 

I seen the Can-Am crew here by the house , take on water in the fuel ,  pull the fuel pump out their  tanks , suck  the tank out and go get a new electric  pump at the auto parts ,  I think it is a Mazda automotive pump that  they use  , wire it in and be running again in a hour --- warranty would be about two weeks for them to be told water isn't covered 

I know you live close to me , the dew and humidity has been really high , the tanks sweet inside  if not kept full , and water gets into the tanks -----------  do you use non-ethanal and keep the tank full all the time , I have been told that water and ethanal fuel don't mix well 

A Mazda fuel pump get outta here are you serious, that works and fits the tank?? 😁

On 1/30/2020 at 7:27 PM, riverc said:

Maybe will find out when dealer looks at it.

Did you find out anything??

43 minutes ago, Melatv said:

Did you find out anything??

Not yet,Dealer I took it to in Baton Rouge is not the place I bought it,said he could not duplicate the problem I told him.They did not do what I told them,they only rode it for 2 miles you have to go 5 plus miles before it does this.I went pick it up Saturday,rode it about 7 miles ran fine no signs of trouble.Got back home turned it off,well when I turned key on no sound of water pump hum.2 hours later it started up like nothing is wrong.

Was supposed to take it today at the Honda Dealer in Covington where I bought it.But the water pump on the old 7.3 Powerstroke is leaking,so I'm taking it to a buddy's shop in the morning to fix.

My dealer seems to think it's electrical (Relay) or Fuel pump causing this problem,he's dealt with a problem like this before on another bike he worked  on.Just our talk was more positive than the other dealer,have faith they will fix it but it's a 90 mile drive one way.Have not been there in a while,maybe go scouting for a good public pier or shoreline to go fishing at another time,find a place to eat some Mexican food or take a drive around New Orleans.Not worried about it will get fixed,and probably will be a warranty claim.

• Like 2

Picked the rancher up today at my dealer in Covington.They said fuel pump was the problem.Was done under warranty,no money out of my pocket.

The test is tomorrow going ride the wood trail.Will report if the new fuel pump fixed the problem or not.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that they found the problem and it was done under warranty

Let us know for sure after you ride it for awhile

19 minutes ago, riverc said:

Picked the rancher up today at my dealer in Covington.They said fuel pump was the problem.Was done under warranty,no money out of my pocket.

The test is tomorrow going ride the wood trail.Will report if the new fuel pump fixed the problem or not.

I heard of, and seen the early 420's with bad fuel pumps, but them being bad on 2019 ?..wow !. guess they coming from china as well eh ?..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

I heard of, and seen the early 420's with bad fuel pumps, but them being bad on 2019 ?..wow !. guess they coming from china as well eh ?..lol.

The early ones was mostly the fuel filter before they offered that separately.  All electronics come from over seas from the cheapest bidder, just like NASA.  

9 hours ago, toodeep said:

The early ones was mostly the fuel filter before they offered that separately.  All electronics come from over seas from the cheapest bidder, just like NASA.  

well its a dang good thing I don't plan on taking a rocket ride !!!..lol.

Took the rancher for a long ride today,well happy to say all good so far.It started right up as it should after I turned it off.Looks like it was the fuel pump causing the problem.

Edited by riverc
  • Like 2