F250 guy

Uni air filter experiences? 300 Fourtrax

Was thinking about getting a Uni NU-4119ST filter, but on further investigation after calling Uni to ask. They claimed it has a cage inside, well most pictures I seen don't picture one. So what's to stop the inner filter to get sucked in the engine??? Plus no spot on the back like OEM. My main question is should I stick to stock or get one, heard oh these are better than stock, I want to either do away with that pesky cage or find a better method for removing cage, tired of beating up my fingers. HELP PLEASE

Or is the Uni all hype, also read it's competition only, not for trail riding or work. Witch is 5% work and 90% trail riding for me.

51n-m-ZNAHL._AC_SY400_.jpg

61TfzghtBTL._CR0,217,1213,1213_UX256.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

I run them on my 200 and 250 and intend on running on my 350. They do have a metal "cage" inside.  I've never had a problem.  They clean out nice. 

They are designed to be used with the oem cage. You are only replacing the filter foam. Honestly unless your going to do some power mods the filter will make zero difference. But when building a power house they are 100% necessary. I personally like my uni filter. I keep 2 clean and oiled at all times so i can swap a clean one in between races. They clean really easy with just soaking in oxyclean laundry soap in the kitchen sink. And they filter really well. I never have any dust or mud or anything in my intake tube. And believe me i see alot of both dust and mud lol. They do require being oiled after being cleaned. And you gotta go easy on the oil. I always put them in a big lip lock bag and spray the oil in and squeeze it around in the zipped bag. It gets a nice even coat on the whole thing. I just leave it in the bag and toss it in the trailer with me.

• Like 2

So it doesn't have a cage and it would be Overkill for me? Any tricks on not skinning my fingers up removing the filter off of the cage and reinstalling it on the cage?

Just now, F250 guy said:

So it doesn't have a cage and it would be Overkill for me? Any tricks on not skinning my fingers up removing the filter off of the cage and reinstalling it on the cage?

I'm going by memory and slammedranger sounds like he has a much better memory.  Lol But I believe mine have a frame, not so much cage and the center metal insert from the OEM goes back inside. 

I have small hands and don't have a busted knuckle problem.  Lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Im confused how you are skinning your fingers? The filter should just slide off the cage real easy? Unless the filter design is way different somehow?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Im confused how you are skinning your fingers? The filter should just slide off the cage real easy? Unless the filter design is way different somehow?

Getting the rubber on and off of the lips on the body, my fingers suffer it's a very tight fit, and no my filter is a factory filter. If someone wouldn't have an easier way I'm almost to the point of taking a wizzer wheel and cutting those lips off the body. And is the bel ray oil really the best oil??

Edited by F250 guy

Yeah that cage is way different then the sport quads. Mine has a plastic frame with a way more open metal cage. Almost looks like chicken wire pattern with alot thicker metal obveously though. The uni may slide over it easier? I got my filter oil in a green arosol can. Klotz makes it. Its easier to work with that way IMO.

• Like 1

And is the bel ray oil really the best oil??

the best ?? I can't answer that.... Fish got me started on bel-ray water proof grease ... (Very impressed) When i installed my 424 kickout.... So i just did some research... And tried the foam oil... It's very tacky .... And stays that way .... Just my 2 pennies worth :-) 

• Like 2

I have a UNI filter also and it is way better than stock, I compared the 2 to buy and wasn’t too impressed with the stock and read great stuff on the UNI, so bought that and glad I did. My Rubicon came with a K&N filter that previous owner put on and threw away the the stock. The K&N is not a good option for off road, in my opinion they don’t stop dust well. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

@01RUBY500 So in your opinion how is a UNI better than stock filter?

Well the filter the Honda dealer showed me that they said was “the oem” just looked cheaper like it wouldn’t hold up as well when side by side the UNI. They told me it was OEM, I suppose it could have been something else They were trying to get rid of.  The UNI has 2 layers of different density foam. 2 stage. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

Go uni. You'll be happy. 

I'll see what it'll do, my main thing was mounting the back of it to support it. I'll post pictures when I get it.

1 minute ago, F250 guy said:

I'll see what it'll do, my main thing was mounting the back of it to support it. I'll post pictures when I get it.

Ya, they don't have the bracket like OEM and I also wondered that. But I've been running for years. Never slips a mm. Stays solid. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gremlin said:

Ya, they don't have the bracket like OEM and I also wondered that. But I've been running for years. Never slips a mm. Stays solid. 

And the inner filter stays put??

Mine doesnt support the back side at all. And my quad gets bounced and beat and flipped. If im not blasting through the woods im jumping 15-20 feet in the air. Never had one slip or move at all. I cant imagine many can throw much more at it than i have.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

And the inner filter stays put??

Yup

Snug as a bug. 

• Like 1

This is just me but I use the inner spacer with aftermarket (uni is good) the same as oem. Uni will flow just a touch better tha OEM but on a stock machine you won't see any difference.  OEM will filter the fine particles better but the air filter oil is more important than the slight differences to make them flow more air. 

Back in the day it was just a heavier oil on the filters.  I've used everything from motor oil to k&n oils for them. My favorite is Klotz. Collects the fine dust, repels water and is easy to clean out. I liked the bell ray but it didn't clean out as good. 

For a stock machine or just slightly modified I still run the oem filters. My heavily modified 300 I ran a k&n and will never do that again on an atv. For mud racing it was good enough with the outerwear but playing it left zero play for mistakes. 

• Like 1

I wanted a Uni when I built my 355bbk. However my local parts place had a Twin-Air Filter in stock, so I went with that. Is there a difference between the 2?? I'd say no.. But I do love Uni Filters. 

• Like 1

LOLs 

my project 86 came with a Uni with integral spring support—it was Ok but yknow ima hardcore OEM type—traded it for a stock cage and filter!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, toodeep said:

This is just me but I use the inner spacer with aftermarket (uni is good) the same as oem. Uni will flow just a touch better tha OEM but on a stock machine you won't see any difference.  OEM will filter the fine particles better but the air filter oil is more important than the slight differences to make them flow more air. 

Back in the day it was just a heavier oil on the filters.  I've used everything from motor oil to k&n oils for them. My favorite is Klotz. Collects the fine dust, repels water and is easy to clean out. I liked the bell ray but it didn't clean out as good. 

For a stock machine or just slightly modified I still run the oem filters. My heavily modified 300 I ran a k&n and will never do that again on an atv. For mud racing it was good enough with the outerwear but playing it left zero play for mistakes. 

I'll try one, I just wanted to see if there was a better way to get the stock filter off the spacer and not skin my fingers up cause a tight fit on the lips. But if the uni has a cage I'll be very happy. 

2 minutes ago, Goober said:

LOLs 

my project 86 came with a Uni with integral spring support—it was Ok but yknow ima hardcore OEM type—traded it for a stock cage and filter!!

How do you get yours off the cage, me I have to skin my fingers up cause of the TIGHT FIT on the upper lip closest to the engine. 

Just get one spot over the edge/lip and work it off. I've done 1,000s of filters so I can do that in my sleep (and have). 

I tried twin air once and it fell apart on the first cleaning. I haven't used them since then. Uni and OEM are my personal choices. 

• Thanks 1