Mac102004

NEW TORQ Lockers for 300/400/450 Honda's

Seen this on FB a few days ago. Pretty big deal, this a year ago seemed like only a dream, now here it is a reality. Ever since the DGL disappeared I was hoping there would be something to replace it. This is that replacement, and this is likely superior to the DGL. Very excited to see this. This has been available for Can-am and Polaris for some time now, as well as the Pioneer 500/700 models.

For those not in the know. This is a front differential locker. This will eliminate the 3 wheel peel and give true full 4 wheel drive. This is not like a spool, in that both front wheels can turn at different rates so like a DGL, it allows for easy steering. Perhaps their own website can explain better.

https://www.torqmasters.com/how_it_works

Copy and pasted:

General Information

The Aussie Locker is a fully automatic and precision manufactured automatic differential locking device that does not require any manual operation to activate. It does not require any switches, external compressors, electrical cables, air lines, or pneumatic controls. The Aussie Locker relies on a simple and highly innovative mechanical design which makes use of two distinct sets of forces, "ground driven" forces acting on a wheel when cornering (forces the outside of the wheel to turn faster) and the engine driven forces through the drivetrain. The combination of these two sets of opposing forces and the unique Aussie Locker design allow the automatic locking and unlocking of the driving gears when a vehicle turns or requires differential action.

Aussie Locker Diagram

How the Aussie Locker is different from a standard differential

A standard differential is designed to perform two main traction related operations; Transmit engine power via the drive line to the wheels, Allow "differential action", i.e. allow the wheels to travel at different speeds to allow cornering without drive train damage or tire damage.The traditional differential design allows for an infinitely variable rate of differentiation ranging from 50:50 where both wheels turn at the same speed (straight line driving) and a ratio of 100:0 where one wheel spins freely and the other is not driven at all (not what you want to face when off roading). The traditional differential also allows for all power to be transmitted to the "path of least resistance" which is fine on highways because both wheels have some degree of traction but off road you often require substantial power and in this case even a small difference in traction can result in wheel spin and the subsequent loss of traction.

A limited slip (LSD) differential is simply a standard differential (also called open) with either a fixed bias or dynamic biasing mechanism which serves to only "partially" lock up" the two axles by way of clutch plates or special gear design. However, most require that both wheels still have some traction on the ground to operate and even when new will cause a wheel in the air to spin uncontrollably so as to be completely ineffective where off road traction is required. The Aussie Locker overcomes the traction deficiency of the standard differential and a limited slip differential so as to ensure that 50:50 power split is achieved when driving irrespective of ground conditions, yet still allowing differential action when required.

Simple explanation of the Aussie Locker operation

The Aussie Locker mechanism allows a wheel to turn faster than the speed of the differential that is driving it (differentiation), but never allows a wheel to turn slower than the speed the differential and engine is turning it (traction). Therefore, a wheel cannot ever stop turning if the engine is driving it, but in a corner it can be forced to actually turn faster. Unlike a standard differential, the engine can never drive one wheel faster than the other.

100% positive locking

The Aussie Locker is positive locking, meaning there is no slippage when locked. There is a mechanically solid engagement of all parts. In contrast a limited slip differential is not positive locking and does allow slippage and one wheel "spin up" i.e. the spinning of one wheel at twice the differential speed while the other wheel having traction remains motionless. With the "Aussie Locker" you get 100% of drive and traction to both wheels at all times.

Dynamic Locking Principle

Unlike some other types of lockers, the Aussie Locker has a locking and unlocking principal that is dynamic. Dynamic in that the more power that is applied, the harder it locks so it doesn't need large bias forces operating on it to keep it locked. The bias spring forces are minuscule and can easily be compressed with two fingers. This results in a locker that is able to lock and unlock easily even when driving on extremely slippery surfaces like mud and wet grass. The locking mechanism is so sensitive that a wheel can be disengaged with one finger when a wheel is jacked up, off the ground. The "Aussie Locker" engineering philosophy is based on two sets of opposing forces but simplified over other automatic locker designs. Basically there are two forces acting on the two gear sets. One acting to unlock the cam and axle gears by the gear tooth design and effects of the ground driven forces acting on a wheel when cornering. The other is acting to lock the cam and axle gears due to the camming action of the cross shaft and axle gear due to the 4 dimensional spiral cut cam grove with bearing surfaces under the effects of engine power Depending on the situation, the locker can either uncouple the driving gears i.e. if the differential force is acting on a wheel to turn it faster than the wheel is being driven by the differential and engine, then that side can freely disengage and unlock providing differential action.

Load transfer and strength

The Aussie Locker design uses a large number of very low profile teeth which collectively do all the ramping and the driving. Engine power is transferred through the flats of all 20 teeth at the same time rather than the original standard differential which has only 2 or 4 teeth driving at a time with all the force being transmitted between two points on the curved surface of the pinion and side gear teeth. The Aussie Locker Has 2-5 times greater surface area over which to transfer the engine power. This means that the Aussie Locker can handle engine power often found in modified off road vehicles with large tires. The design of the locker result in the gears being locked when driving vs. the slipping and sliding that occurs when traditional spider and side gears turn and mesh.

Constant 4WDs

Like all automatic lockers, the Aussie Locker cannot be used in front axles of constant 4Wheel Drive vehicles. Some vehicle manufacturers offer a part-time 4WD option and automatic lockers can be installed. Some vehicle owners install part-time kits or use free wheeling hubs.

High-strength, ultra-resistant alloy made in the USA

The Aussie Locker is made from an hardened 9310 alloy steel from mills in the USA.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 10.09.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 10.09.38 PM.png

• Like 1

I edited to put the pasted text in a quote box Mac. Hope you don't mind?

• Like 1

Just now, retro said:

I edited to put the pasted text in a quote box Mac. Hope you don't mind?

Good idea Retro, thanks.

It looks like the best designed unit ever made. Looks tough too!

• Like 1

They've been a big hit in the Can-am world I know. Way better than a spool, which with the DGL gone that was all we had. 

• Like 1

I hope production can keep up with sales, I think I'l buy one to try out in a 450 diff.

• Like 1

What gets me about the application , one spot it says 300 92-2002 and the other spot says  300  87-2000 

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

What gets me about the application , one spot it says 300 92-2002 and the other spot says  300  87-2000 

I wouldn’t worry about that, few minor typo’s in the application guide doesn’t change the fact that it was designed to fit the 300/400/450 non-traclok diff’s. 

13 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

and honda didn't even make the trx300 until 1988 !..lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

and honda didn't even make the trx300 until 1988 !..lol.

and quit making them in 2000 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

and quit making them in 2000 

correct ^^^ !.

I was just on their site.. I don't see anywhere that says they sell them for a Honda atv other than the Pioneer.. Cause IF they do... I'm buying one!!!!

I went and looked on the Honda 300 Club site and couldn't find the video I was looking for , either it is buried deep on the site or another site I seen it on , but there is a video about Honda ATVs for  Aussie Locker ----- I never did see how much , bet it ain't cheap , would guess over $500 easy 

Should be around $400. I don't know if they are going to show up on their site this week or? They said just in time for black friday.

• Like 1

Aussie Lockers have an excellent reputation in the Jeeping community.

Dick's Cycles posted up a price of $469 shipped, said he is testing them and they'll hit the market in the next week or so.

Wonder if they're going to offer them for traxloc front diffs?  Is there a reason these wouldn't work in one?  If I recall the front ring and pinion are the same from 98-01 and 02-04 450's, right?

• Like 2

I just called the phone number on their site... Talked to a gentleman who didn't know, but was forwarding my question to a lady named Cora I believe. He said she can answer it, & will call me back later today..... 

I want one!!!! Well unless Mac wants to sell my his DGL of course! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Aussie Lockers have an excellent reputation in the Jeeping community.

Dick's Cycles posted up a price of $469 shipped, said he is testing them and they'll hit the market in the next week or so.

Wonder if they're going to offer them for traxloc front diffs?  Is there a reason these wouldn't work in one?  If I recall the front ring and pinion are the same from 98-01 and 02-04 450's, right?

I’m guessing the carrier is different even if the R&P is the same. Traxloc would be a different model most likely, I know with the DGL’s it was. 

31 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I just called the phone number on their site... Talked to a gentleman who didn't know, but was forwarding my question to a lady named Cora I believe. He said she can answer it, & will call me back later today..... 

I want one!!!! Well unless Mac wants to sell my his DGL of course! lol

A NOS DGL is one thing I haven’t found yet, at least for the 300, I’ve found a couple over the years for the traxloc diffs. I actually had one in a Rincon at one time but that was back when they were available new. They were VERY expensive to get up here at the time, probably around 2007-2008. I think by the time I got it, installed it and everything I wasn’t into it $700cnd or so. 

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with Cora (I thinks that was her name). So right now they are Prototypes being sent to Dicks Cycle as they have being hounding them for a year to make one. If the prototype is a hit they will produce them. At a cost of $429us plus $45 to ship to Canada. I’ll be calling Dicks as I need to order something else from them at same time!! Wink wink!

• Like 1

Pricey but make a HUGE difference in the mud. 

I have them front and rear in my hunting Jeep

• Like 1

Everyone that is interested in them should not hesitate to purchase them, send the message that lockers for Honda’s is a worthwhile market to invest in!

• Like 3

It has been brought to my attention that Dicks is pretty shady, so try to find an alternative source for them. I assumed Torque would be selling through their own website. 

• Like 1