Mac102004

NEW TORQ Lockers for 300/400/450 Honda's

I was posting that more as a reference point for price than anything else. 

While I haven’t had any issues with the few interactions I had with him, one of our regulars here got hosed by him on a build. Another source would be a wise decision 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Wonder if they're going to offer them for traxloc front diffs?  Is there a reason these wouldn't work in one?  If I recall the front ring and pinion are the same from 98-01 and 02-04 450's, right?

I read where they will work on non-traxloc diffs up to 2001 ----------   there was a video on facebook  , I thought I seen it on the Honda 300 club or one of the other atv sites , but I couldn't find it when I went back and looked for it ----

I hear you Mac , from my personal experiences and other's stories  =  I wouldn't deal with him again 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I read where they will work on non-traxloc diffs up to 2001 ----------   there was a video on facebook  , I thought I seen it on the Honda 300 club or one of the other atv sites , but I couldn't find it when I went back and looked for it ----

I hear you Mac , from my personal experiences and other's stories  =  I wouldn't deal with him again 

I don't want anyone to get burned, the upgrade isn't worth the chance. I would imagine there will be others selling it, if all the prototypes are going to him then we'll have to just hope it goes well and they move to full production.

• Like 2

@Mac102004 I also spotted this on Facebook, sounds good..

However, as usual curiosity gets the better of me..!! 

I've never stripped a stock Honda front diff, do you have any photos of the internals? Clutches inparticular?

7 hours ago, SamUK said:

@Mac102004 I also spotted this on Facebook, sounds good..

However, as usual curiosity gets the better of me..!! 

I've never stripped a stock Honda front diff, do you have any photos of the internals? Clutches inparticular?

I do somewhere in my phone might take awhile to dig them out though lol Approaching 10,000 pics on it and I have the organizational skills of a carrot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Here’s a couple from installing extra shims to the clutch pack, I don’t have any of the actual clutch pack removed from the carrier. 

9D8E9901-0B9E-4E96-AB73-42CBDAECEA5E.jpeg

4559F144-57D6-4380-98D4-5610724D8D17.jpeg

19D47407-13C7-4274-A31F-A9011EA08D28.jpeg

8DB9E5FA-68CF-405A-9A69-D383942DCBD4.jpeg

41C32296-E057-461D-A460-5F6BCA0B321E.jpeg

B81AE952-9CBB-4B10-8AB0-D5CEFB7718CD.jpeg

4931FFDC-DF43-43A8-BE6E-21293F41F5E9.jpeg

• Like 4

Jim Bod / Liberty Customs is @ $429 , that is $40 cheaper than that other guy ^ @ $469 ..... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got a DGL in a 300 diff already setup that I might let go of. It was ridden 2-3 times and bike was stripped and sold. Wonder what it would be worth now that these new ones are out?

D092CC80-D3FB-4300-B8B3-9E0E3E36D2AE.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

LBZ.... Ill take first dibs

Wheeler, message me with an offer. 

• Like 1

To me, if these new units perform they would be worth more (again, to me).

Replacement parts will be available for the new units. 

If you have a DGL and the clutches wear out you’re SOL

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Clutches can be refurbished, new friction material can be bonded to the steel backing plates easily enough. 

It's certainly something I'm confident in doing if anybody here needs assistance or a refurb.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

No clutch material in the dgl afaik. It’s a true mechanical locker. I may be wrong though.

DGL has clutch disks in it yes. To me a DGL is worth more NOS in the box. Functionally these torq lockers are superior and if I was to run either in a machine my choice would be the torq locker. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

DGL has clutch disks in it yes. To me a DGL is worth more NOS in the box. Functionally these torq lockers are superior and if I was to run either in a machine my choice would be the torq locker. 

You mean NOS never installed like this? My buddy has this one on his shelf, never taken out of the box.

BBABD4ED-CC7C-4803-A741-EB1E0DA37F63.jpeg

1 hour ago, LBZ said:

You mean NOS never installed like this? My buddy has this one on his shelf, never taken out of the box.

BBABD4ED-CC7C-4803-A741-EB1E0DA37F63.jpeg

Yes like that. Still with the big rubber band on the DGL, still with the little Detroit Locker by Highlifter decal in the box, still with the little bottle of friction modifier that smells like cat ! still in the box.....lol

3 hours ago, Mac102004 said:

Yes like that. Still with the big rubber band on the DGL, still with the little Detroit Locker by Highlifter decal in the box, still with the little bottle of friction modifier that smells like cat ! still in the box.....lol

This one has the remnants of the rubber band, it dry rotted and broke some years ago, lol 

• Haha 1

So... A few questions...

Are you guys able to source friction material used for clutches & brake pads etc etc?

You know there are many different options available, yes?

I've never looked into modifying a front diff other than adding shims but after a little research it seems OEM could be made better by upgrading the friction materials on the clutches. 

Just thought it was worth a mention 🙂

• Like 1

It seems to me that the better way is to get away from the system of using clutches entirely, like with the torq locker. The DGL would allow one wheel to spin at a different rate than the other but it would never allow it to become unlocked. You're not going to be able to pull that off by changing out clutch disks in the factory assembly. I've tightened them up with shims but it's not much better, IMO the only way to go with that is to leave it alone or lock it solid. Or replace the internals with a DGL or now Torq locker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mac102004 said:

It seems to me that the better way is to get away from the system of using clutches entirely, like with the torq locker. The DGL would allow one wheel to spin at a different rate than the other but it would never allow it to become unlocked. You're not going to be able to pull that off by changing out clutch disks in the factory assembly. I've tightened them up with shims but it's not much better, IMO the only way to go with that is to leave it alone or lock it solid. Or replace the internals with a DGL or now Torq locker.

I agree Mac however...

Modern friction materials, oils and friction modifiers can be used together to achieve great results.

I haven't tried them myself but I have seen results in similar applications that have worked extremely well. 

It's a shame nobody has come up with a torque biasing locker as yet, the same as Quaife offer for trucks etc.

Would be the perfect solution for ATV's IMO, easy to steer, locks on demand, and not only transfers power to the wheel not spinning but manages the power between the wheels.

Could cost high dollar though, infact I imagine it would cost high dollar! Lol

• Like 1

Friction modifier oil  can be expensive , I changed the oil in the rear end of my Dodge 4500 last year , went with Dodge's recommendation , 8 quarts of synthetic gear oil which I got from O'Riely's and the bottle of modifier ( which was close to $20 , which was 3 to 4 ounce) , it was a $100 rear end oil change , that stuff was $5-6 an ounce from Dodge