Mac102004

NEW TORQ Lockers for 300/400/450 Honda's

I was just surfing facebook and there are about 10 people selling the Aussie Lockers now , most have 2 or 3 to sell at the moment till they make some more , all have \ the same price of $429 excepts Dick's which is $469 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SamUK said:

I agree Mac however...

Modern friction materials, oils and friction modifiers can be used together to achieve great results.

I haven't tried them myself but I have seen results in similar applications that have worked extremely well. 

It's a shame nobody has come up with a torque biasing locker as yet, the same as Quaife offer for trucks etc.

Would be the perfect solution for ATV's IMO, easy to steer, locks on demand, and not only transfers power to the wheel not spinning but manages the power between the wheels.

Could cost high dollar though, infact I imagine it would cost high dollar! Lol

I guess a true torque biasing diff may be something to leave to the OEM’s. Functionally though Polaris’ AWD and Can-am’s Visco-lok automatic lockers are probably close enough for us, as is the torque locker. I think the torque biasing diffs were designed for F1 cars were they not?

39 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I was just surfing facebook and there are about 10 people selling the Aussie Lockers now , most have 2 or 3 to sell at the moment till they make some more , all have \ the same price of $429 excepts Dick's which is $469 

Yeah one guy up here was advertising them for $429 US or $650 Canadian plus tax I’m not sure how that math works out but I think I’d just order state side myself lol. I’m sure they will be selling them direct too before too long. Hopefully demand will be high and prices will come down some, I think for the Can-am they are 399. 

Dick's is making it sound like they're doing one run of them and then going to weigh demand before making more.

On the one hand, that doesn't make sense.  They had to set up tooling to make these things so I can't imagine only doing one run of them.

On the other, I guess that's kinda what detroit did with the DGL. 

What I'd really like to see if a full SELECTABLE locker available for the older bikes.  Auto lockers are nice, but they can give you some quirky driving characteristics. 

I have Lock Rights front and rear on my hunting Jeep.  Pretty much the same thing as this Aussie Locker.  You get some racheting going around corners with the occassional "BANG" of it locking or unloading.  If you stay off the gas in the corners it's not too bad.

I have a Detroit True Trac for the rear of my "town" Jeep.  Haven't installed it yet.  Another project.  it's IMO the best limited slip on the market.  No clutches so nothing to wear out.  The clutch packs in the Jeep factory limited slip diffs brought about the nickname "trash lock" (Trak Lok was the actual name).

What most really want are ARB air lockers or OX lockers.  The ARB's are activated by air, and the OX are cable actuated.  They are full lockers, which beat a Limited Slip every time in the mud, and the selectable ones allow you to run unlocked when they aren't needed so they don't affect driveability. 

• Like 1

Yeah selectable lockers would be the way to go. There was a company making them for the Can-am's they were called "Halo Lockers" maybe if we petition them they'll build some for the 300's. I forget the price, something tells me it was ridiculous though. I imagine their business is hurting a bit now, with the $400 torq locker and some Can-am models coming factory with selectable lockers now.

I talked to the guys at Liberty Customs today. They are taking orders. $429 plus $45 to ship to Canada. He was telling me (as he had one in his hand) that he felt they were a superior design in operation compared to the DGL. He is going to call me back tomorrow as he should then know when they will have supply.... 

• Like 1

PowerModz in Ontario has two. $682.50 Canadian.

Edited by Wheeler

Right $517 per say. That’s shipped. Liberty is $475 us shipped plus brokerage fee.. so pretty much the same if not more at Liberty..

What’s the cut on gifts? For a while there was no VAT on gifts to the UK. Now they do it even on gifts if the value is over 50£

Well i just had a chat with a Gentleman who seemed VERY knowledgeable about what's going on with these new Lockers. He has informed me that he has one in his hand (prototype), but they won't be receiving 20 new ones to sell until mid Jan or Feb. So others that claim they have some to sell according to him isn't true... 

With all this hype, I'm just going to let it unfold & follow a few sites until they are available. I"m not one to put $ down on a  "pre-order" in hopes of a product. I'll wait till they hit the market. 

Never did hear back from LBZ.. I hope I didn't insult u with my offer...

I read that same story on facebook that you tell ,    but  , there are  other people who are saying  they are  dealers and  have some to sell and looking for feed back   , they posted pics and have the lockers  in their hands , in their shops , so apparently there are quite a few people that they were distributed to , which makes sense , if you had 50 or even 100 units , you wouldn't send them all to the same guy , you'd spread them out and see who gets the most orders -------  all have the exact same price but one 

• Like 1

Here's food for thought....

Lockers as we all know don't come cheap however, a spool, welded diff or permanent locked is easy to achieve. Surely, free wheeling hubs would be cheaper to manufacture and much, much easier for model/year compatibility.

What's your thoughts folks?

On another note...

Does anybody know where these new lockers are made? Japan, Europe, USA, dare is say it... China?!?!

I'm guessing the locking hubs idea is out due to having to make 2 of them first off. Then added complexity engaging and disengaging them, unless you're going to do it like the old Warn locking hubs, manually get off and turn them one by one. I don't know. The centralized diff locker seems to be the most effective, aside from the labour involved to install. But on a 300 I can swap diffs in about an hour or two, so I suppose it's not that bad.

They are now past the prototypes & in production....

I have one on the way.....

• Like 2

Well, I'm looking at this and I searched for Aussie Locker for Honda ATV and what I found was does the Rancher 420 (2017) have a locking differential.  A video.  And he shows what I was reading today about holding the brake as a locker.  And he shows in the video how it works. 

So, all the talk about do I need a winch, or is it better to just have a diff locker so you don't need the winch, etc which I was reading today, well, ... I just got the winch done and on and in. 

I did happen to cross a big water hole last summer and someone asked if I had a diff lock.  It looked like no, but it didn't matter, as I just made it thru' the water hole with no problem.  I didn't even bounce one foot onto the ground like the other 5 atvs that came along at the same time.

Following that video was one from Tennessee 'mudders' titled You Know You Have a Locking Diff.

Basically, I don't do that type of under water riding, other than a slight water hole to cross, so I"m not worried.  If the brake/lock on the front doesn't work, I do have the winch.

dc

On a atv that has a "Limited Slip" differential ( which is not a diff lock ) , when you hold the brake , you are causing resistance on the wheel that is slipping  , which in turns makes that wheel grab --- that is not a diff lock ---- if you are a player , no matter if you got a locking diff , 54 inch tires and 170 hp there will be times when you will need a winch 

• Like 2

Something else I got from your post , about how you made it thru a mud hole and other bikes didn't ----------  mudding is a game of inches , ground clearance inches is an important factor , inches of tires height another , but sometimes 6 inches left or right when going thru a hole can make all the difference in the world 

• Like 2

Fish, you recall this video ?? Not sure if this mod would work on his, but just a note .... I'd only do this to a pure mud bike !!

• Like 2

I remember that video , think that had some influence on me doing it to my 92 300 and my 2000 450 , I did the add the OEM shim and not the washer , the 300 I had a diff to rob it from , the 450 I was able to buy it new , it makes it harder to steer , even with the 424 in disconnect mode , but it does grab a lot more , even with the added shim , there are times when I do see one pulling harder than the other , usually it is the right side that doesn't spin as much  as the left , but it really depends on the angle of the atv and the mud 

• Like 1