Misterclean

Shock upgrade suggestions?

As stated I'm looking for shock upgrade suggestions. I have two TRX 420"s straight axle. One 2014 and one 2017. As Ya'll already know Honda doesn't come stock with the best shock absorbers. I know, I know the IRS is much better so let's just talk about my situation please. The wife and I are OK with the suspension for the most part because we don't ride in rough areas too much. When we go to Colorado that's when my wife really needs something more plush. I've found that 3 psi in the tires is a very plush ride,......anything less makes the steering vague. 3 psi also allows rocks to dent the steel rims at high speed in the rocks and my wife's shoulders get tired because of the extra effort required with the low tire pressure. 3.5 is better for her for all the obvious reasons but adds a little more jolt to her arms. 4 psi is too much jolt but better yet for the steering effort. I guess what I need is a set of shock absorbers that are plush enough to allow a little more psi in the tires. Plus....and a big plus, I do not want to spend a fortune! LOL Yes, I want it all. Please give me your ideas.......looking forward, Thanks guys.

People swear by Elkas, but that tosses out your "don't want to spend a fortune".

Do your 420's have adjustable shocks on them?  I picked up some factory 420 shocks on ebay for my kid's 300 and they were adjustable.    I think they were advertised as being from a 2012?  I guess those wouldn't work on a newer machine though.

• Like 1

I like my elkas. Obveously completely different world of riding type. But yeah they are not cheap. Im not aware of any aftermarket brand that is cheap honestly. Maybe get measurments for the stock ones and see if there are other brands with same sizes and lenght. Maybe look up duel rate springs kits? Or send them out to be re-worked?

• Like 1

Are you using stock wheels and tires? Tires can make as much difference as suspension in some situations. I use aftermarket wheels to widen the stance a little and I think it helps with the ride but if you have a non power steering model you might notice a little more feedback from the steering in the rocky terrain.

• Like 1

I have Bronco Shocks on my 300 they were expensive as well but they ride great!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

People swear by Elkas, but that tosses out your "don't want to spend a fortune".

Do your 420's have adjustable shocks on them?  I picked up some factory 420 shocks on ebay for my kid's 300 and they were adjustable.    I think they were advertised as being from a 2012?  I guess those wouldn't work on a newer machine though.

The pre load is adjustable......they are full soft. Thanks

3 hours ago, toodeep said:

Are you using stock wheels and tires? Tires can make as much difference as suspension in some situations. I use aftermarket wheels to widen the stance a little and I think it helps with the ride but if you have a non power steering model you might notice a little more feedback from the steering in the rocky terrain.

Yes, stock wheels and tires. I have added wheel spacers to both but that didn't change anything except giving it much more stability. I installed new pull offs from a 500 rancher on one.......it is a little harder to steer.......it's probably a little more plush tho because they are one inch taller which give a half inch more "suspension" per wheel.

I am no help on a smooth ride , I have to pry my oversized shocks into place and pump the tires to 10 psi in the oversized tires , it is like riding a goat without a saddle , you better hold on ---LOL 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I am no help on a smooth ride , I have to pry my oversized shocks into place and pump the tires to 10 psi in the oversized tires , it is like riding a goat without a saddle , you better hold on ---LOL 

So you have to hold your beer real tight?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Misterclean said:

So you have to hold your beer real tight?

Yea , it gets foamy ...

• Like 1