F250 guy

F250guy carb rebuild. Photos

2 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

do you have the plastic screen inside the tank on the petcock tube 

Yep sure do, or else it wouldn't go in lol he he

It looks like there is something holding that float valve open. Its probably a spec of dirt or a small flake of rust. I would open the drain screw on the float bowl and allow the bowl to drain completely, then open the petcock and let fuel flush the float valve for a bit. Then tighten the float drain screw and try again.

28 minutes ago, retro said:

It looks like there is something holding that float valve open. Its probably a spec of dirt or a small flake of rust. I would open the drain screw on the float bowl and allow the bowl to drain completely, then open the petcock and let fuel flush the float valve for a bit. Then tighten the float drain screw and try again.

Good advice but one that my problem, I'm away from the wheeler and the carbs with me.  I'm loading some pictures. I think the fuel line may have been bad and I couldn't see it, judging by what's in the bowl.

IMG_20200223_224948.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

Great, you can fix it before you go back to the farm to reinstall. Once you get the leak fixed you can test that float valve by slipping a small funnel onto a short length of fuel hose to use to fill the float bowl.

• Like 1

here's a simple trick: before you install the float bowl back on the carb ?, ( this works very well if you have a bench vise ? ) place the carb in the bench vise, attach a fuel line to the carb, use a squirt can, or funnel like retro said ^^, add fuel to carb, all while your holding the float up all the way, when the fuel line is full ?, slowly lower the float, then back up, see if fuel leaks past the float needle ?. think of this as eyes on test ?.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shadetree said:

here's a simple trick: before you install the float bowl back on the carb ?, ( this works very well if you have a bench vise ? ) place the carb in the bench vise, attach a fuel line to the carb, use a squirt can, or funnel like retro said ^^, add fuel to carb, all while your holding the float up all the way, when the fuel line is full ?, slowly lower the float, then back up, see if fuel leaks past the float needle ?. think of this as eyes on test ?.

Thought about it but wasn't sure how it would work with the bowl off, I'll do it and report back. 😁

1 minute ago, F250 guy said:

Thought about it but wasn't sure how it would work with the bowl off, I'll do it and report back. 😁

bowl has nothing to do with what your checking ?, bowl just fills up with fuel, once its full ?, the float SHOULD stop fuel from flowing past the float needle !. with the bowl off ?, you got your eyes right on the float and float needle to see if fuel is leaking past the seat once float is all the way up ?. I do it all the time this way !. saves me from having to put the bowl on, take it off, back on..back off..when I can watch all this while the bowl is not on the carb. just don't do it in a enclosed area ?, or your run the risk of making yer wife mad from fumes ?, or blowing yourself up ?!..lol.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, shadetree said:

bowl has nothing to do with what your checking ?, bowl just fills up with fuel, once its full ?, the float SHOULD stop fuel from flowing past the float needle !. with the bowl off ?, you got your eyes right on the float and float needle to see if fuel is leaking past the seat once float is all the way up ?. I do it all the time this way !. saves me from having to put the bowl on, take it off, back on..back off..when I can watch all this while the bowl is not on the carb. just don't do it in a enclosed area ?, or your run the risk of making yer wife mad from fumes ?, or blowing yourself up ?!..lol.

Never done it before lol but hey I'm up for learning. I hate hot that fuel tank is made on the 300s almost impossible to get my hand in there, can't find a small copper tube or vaccum pump electric of course. So shook it yesterday sucked with a house junk vaccum shook upside down some more while sucking. Can hear you be grain of dirt still but the screen will stop that. I don't think I'll have my buddy clean it I'll see what this does to fix. 

3 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Never done it before lol but hey I'm up for learning. I hate hot that fuel tank is made on the 300s almost impossible to get my hand in there, can't find a small copper tube or vaccum pump electric of course. So shook it yesterday sucked with a house junk vaccum shook upside down some more while sucking. Can hear you be grain of dirt still but the screen will stop that. I don't think I'll have my buddy clean it I'll see what this does to fix. 

give it try, yu'll see how easy it is.

• Thanks 1

this is call a trick of the trade, a lot of the old guys do this. it saves us a lot of time and trouble..derf

• Like 1

Didn't have a hose long enough to suck fuel out of my riding mower so I used water and an old 4 inch long section of fuel line, long story short, couldn't see well enough cause the water would drop off the pin when closed so I pulled the hose off and blew by mouth and I didn't hear any hissing when float was up so I'll get a fuel line and run er this weekend. 

Edited by F250 guy