TRX Student

2016 Rubicon Valve noise

I bought this machine brand new, and love it.

It has no mods, but would love to get a set of t4s or trs tracks, thumb and hand warms and winterize it, along with a light bar.

During the winter, I keep it under a tempo and tarp, (i wish I had a proper garage, but its not a possibility in my current situation, an enclosed gooseneck might happen though) and start it up and let it run for an hour or two on mild days.

The last few start ups I've noticed some pinging, sounds like valves. 

At first, its noticeable (I don't think I'm being that sensitive) and theres a fair amount of smoke (which I assume is vapour).

Once it warms up, the noise lessens abit, and the smoke/vapour goes away. Im not seeing any burned oil from exhaust, the atv was backed up to a snowbank, the snow did not blacken from exhaust.

Wondering if there's anything I can check before I a) open it up and check valve clearances or b) take it to the dealer and have them go through it

How many hours/miles do you have on it? If your capable defiantly save money and do the work yourself. Sometimes the auto decompression will make some noise on these machines if the motor is running at a low enough rpm. That's just normal and nothing you can do about that. It never hurts to check the clearances though to keep the machine operating at it's peak.

• Like 4

I agree with @toodeep save your $$$ and get a set of feeler guages and what ever sockets and screwdriver bits you may need. I know on my 300 that the carb is off of now for rebuild "leaky needle valve", the crank access hole is a 10mm Allen socket and the timing port is a flathead screwdriver, valve cover bolts are 10mm. 

I'm using a 1/4in socket and screwdriver bit to adjust my valves, wish I could find a tool like the rancher has I believe, a hex nut with the screw built in. If you have what I do DO NOT let ANYTHING drop into the engine. Other than that you'll be fine, for valves you want a slight drag.

Edited by F250 guy

Yes, DIY, I have a video on YT of me doing the valves on the exact same machine. Its not too bad if you are careful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ATC4ever said:

Yes, DIY, I have a video on YT of me doing the valves on the exact same machine. Its not too bad if you are careful.

Link

You should really do it by the book lol.. i'll take flack for how i do it, but its not the 1st machine i've done it on. You should find the cap on the transmission you remove so that you can see TDC on it to make sure the valves are closed. I cheat. 

• Like 3

Thanks, with a video I'm alot less intimidated tearing into it. On my projects that are all considerably older I don't mind learning and tearing into things. But the Rubicon is basically brand new, with lots of plugs and things are tight in there. Just don't want to mess anything up. That code was scary, haha.

I only watched just a little of the vid without sound but I'll give a tip. I shouldn't post without watching it all but...  Pull that rubber keeper back out of the way and you can just squeeze the plastic lock together to take the fuel line loose. 

20200130_150551.jpg

20200130_150607.jpg

• Like 1

Really sad day.

Lost a key.

No idea where.

Having my spare mailed to me by my parents. 

Super bummed.

In a snow bank near the house some where, most likely.

!.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TRX Student said:

Really sad day.

Lost a key.

No idea where.

Having my spare mailed to me by my parents. 

Super bummed.

In a snow bank near the house some where, most likely.

!.

bummer, got a large magnet ?, fastest way I know to find it !.

• Like 1

My spare is clipped on my air box but I live in an area I don't have to worry about thieves. The keys are in all of my machines. There are a lot of places to secretly place a key though.  If you remove the rubber boot you could tape it to the wiring harness at an easy enough location and no one would notice. 

• Like 1

Just now, shadetree said:

bummer, got a large magnet ?, fastest way I know to find it !.

Im not sure if that would speed things up, lol.

If I was to start digging around, a metal detector would help. But I've got a pretty big area that I covered between the time I thought I put it securely in my pocket, and the time I realized it was no longer in my pocket. Took a tour in my backyard with a skidoo.

Best thing to do is to wait for some spring weather, then the junk and garbage and lost items start popping up ontop of the snow.

In the mean time, my spare is worth more than its weight in gold. And I have to live with the stress of a key floating around outside somewhere.

21 minutes ago, toodeep said:

My spare is clipped on my air box but I live in an area I don't have to worry about thieves. The keys are in all of my machines. There are a lot of places to secretly place a key though.  If you remove the rubber boot you could tape it to the wiring harness at an easy enough location and no one would notice. 

Im going to do this as soon as I get a spare.

When you get your spare mark down your key code, I put mine in my manual, then you can order one if you really have to.