Gremlin

Couldn't help myself....91 250 LT4WD

These things are little tanks and so odd looking I couldn't help myself. Shes a 91 250 LT4WD Suzuki.  And she is a mess. Runs though! 200 bucks and another project in the queue for next winter.  Needs an airbox, brakes, muffler and plastics. Carb rebuild and tune up for sure. Been sitting for 2 years, fired right up.  

20200202_185642.jpg

20200202_185654.jpg

• Like 4

The diff lock on those are great, I have a 99 300 kingquad great little tank

• Like 1

I think my father in law is fixing to drop off one of his Arctic Cat 300's to store at my place.  It's a rebadged King Quad, and has the hi/low/super low as well as the front diff lock (although it takes some modifying to get the diff lock to work on the Arctic Cat versions).

Neat little wheelers.  That one have disc brakes?  The 300's my FIL has are late 90's, and they have discs all the way around from the factory.

• Like 1

Shes a basket case. They took all the brakes off along with muffler and air box so I'll be looking.  Lol

Apparently I do too! Hahaha

Some pics in the light shows the extent of the basket case.....

20200203_175556.jpg

20200203_175548.jpg

20200203_175512.jpg

20200203_175535.jpg

20200203_175542.jpg

20200203_175526.jpg

20200203_175518.jpg

• Like 2

I have started projects with less there  and in worst condition ------  all it takes is time , money and will ------ I have one buddy that rides Arctic Cat , he has a whole set of them , different sizes ----from what I understand the Arctic Cat and Suzuki were the same bike for years , don't really know the entire history 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I have started projects with less there  and in worst condition ------  all it takes is time , money and will ------ I have one buddy that rides Arctic Cat , he has a whole set of them , different sizes ----from what I understand the Arctic Cat and Suzuki were the same bike for years , don't really know the entire history 

I'm going to have to get educated.  @jeepwm69said the same thing about cats.  There aren't alot of these things around this area so definitely going to take the time, find the money and fix her up. Like a little tank and so odd looking. Lol  The little elan is on deck for restoration behind the 350, then the basketcase. Hahaha

FB_IMG_1579823182646.jpg

FB_IMG_1579823190002.jpg

Edited by Gremlin
  • Like 2

Arctic Cat is an American brand of snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles manufactured in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. The company was formed in 1960 and is now part of Textron Inc. The company designs, engineers, manufactures and markets all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, as well as related parts, garments—such as snowmobile suits—and accessories.
Arctic Cat was formed by snowmobile pioneer Edgar Hetteen in 1960[2] due to his departure from his previous self-started business, Polaris Industries. Like Polaris, Arctic Cat grew to become a major manufacturer of snowmobiles, watercraft, winter clothing and all-terrain vehicles (ATV's).[3] The company's first name was Polar Manufacturing but was soon changed to Arctic Enterprises.[2] The company made their first snowmobile in 1960 and in 1970, started the Boss Cat line.[4] In 1968 a 15,000 sqft winter wear factory was opened in Rainy River, Ontario employing an additional 60 workers.[5] Various boat manufacturers, including Silver Line, Lund and Spirit Marine, were bought to attempt to expand the company. However, Arctic Cat went bankrupt in 1982. Two years later, a new company Arctco was created to continue the production of Arctic Cat snowmobiles.[2] The company was successful in keeping the Arctic Cat alive and in 1996 the company changed its name to Arctic Cat.[6] Over the years, the company has attempted many other product lines including snowblowers, generators, mini bikes,helicopters and two-wheel drive vehicles. Although the brand's headquarters has relocated several times in recent years,[7] Arctic Cat continues the majority of its manufacturing, along with snowmobile engineering, in Thief River Falls, Minnesota.[8] The company also manufactures engines at a facility in St. Cloud, Minnesota.[9]

On January 25, 2017, it was announced Arctic Cat will be acquired by Textron in for $247M in a cash transaction.[10] The all-terrain vehicle and side-by-side models branded as Arctic Cat were either discontinued or rebranded Textron, whereas the snowmobile models have kept the Arctic Cat brand. In early 2019, the company announced that the Arctic Cat brand would return to its side-by-sides and ATVs, beginning with the 2020 model year.[11]

A snowmobile on a snowy mountain.

Arctic Cat Snowmobile.

Arctic Cat is known for their M series snowmobile models which were 3rd in Market share behind Ski-doo and Polaris in 2003. This "Skinny Mini" prototype sled had features different from other sleds at that time, by utilizing parts that provided more than one role and a track that had less width then other sleds, reducing rotating mass. Arctic Cat discovered that this design was splendid for mountain riding, however the trail model developed an overheating issue as the heat exchanges were found to be insufficient when ridden on ice and in marginal snow conditions. Though the majority of sleds experienced no issues, this resulted in a class action lawsuit and resulted in an out of court settlement where cat bought back from owners 3200 short track Firecat F-7's. These sleds featured a lay down type engine which placed the carburetors in front of the engine. which was centered low in the sled to centralize mass and was believed to allow cooler air inlet temperatures. Big changes were made to the lineup for the 2007 model year as a new chassis was introduced which was called a twin-spar chassis replacing all previous models while adding a new 4 stroke engine, the Z1 Jaguar, which featured an 1056cc 4-stroke parallel twin. In 2009 the Z1 was turbocharged to produce 177 horsepower (132 kW), which was 1 horsepower (0.75 kW) more than any other production snowmobile.[12] The Crossfire and M-series remain on the same M-series chassis which is a spin off from the original Firecat Chassis.

Arctic Cat
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
Arctic Cat, Inc.
Arctic Cat logo.png
Type
Subsidiary
ISIN    US0396701049
Industry    Powersports
Fate    Acquired by Textron
Founded    1960; 60 years ago in Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US
Founder    Edgar Hetteen
Headquarters    Thief River Falls, Minnesota, US
Products    
All-terrain vehicles
Snowmobiles
Revenue    Increase US$585.27 million (FY 2012)
Operating income
Increase US$45.89 million (FY 2012)
Net income
Increase US$29.94 million (FY 2012)
Total assets    Decrease US$255.42 million (FY 2012)
Total equity    Decrease US$138.47 Million (FY 2012)
Number of employees
1,369 (March 2012)
Parent    Textron
Website    www.arcticcat.com
Footnotes / references
[1]
Arctic Cat is an American brand of snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles manufactured in Thief River Falls, Minnesota. The company was formed in 1960 and is now part of Textron Inc. The company designs, engineers, manufactures and markets all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, as well as related parts, garments—such as snowmobile suits—and accessories.

Contents
1    History
2    Vehicles today
2.1    Snowmobiles
2.2    All-terrain vehicles
2.3    Side-by-sides
3    References
4    External links
History
Arctic Cat was formed by snowmobile pioneer Edgar Hetteen in 1960[2] due to his departure from his previous self-started business, Polaris Industries. Like Polaris, Arctic Cat grew to become a major manufacturer of snowmobiles, watercraft, winter clothing and all-terrain vehicles (ATV's).[3] The company's first name was Polar Manufacturing but was soon changed to Arctic Enterprises.[2] The company made their first snowmobile in 1960 and in 1970, started the Boss Cat line.[4] In 1968 a 15,000 sqft winter wear factory was opened in Rainy River, Ontario employing an additional 60 workers.[5] Various boat manufacturers, including Silver Line, Lund and Spirit Marine, were bought to attempt to expand the company. However, Arctic Cat went bankrupt in 1982. Two years later, a new company Arctco was created to continue the production of Arctic Cat snowmobiles.[2] The company was successful in keeping the Arctic Cat alive and in 1996 the company changed its name to Arctic Cat.[6] Over the years, the company has attempted many other product lines including snowblowers, generators, mini bikes,helicopters and two-wheel drive vehicles. Although the brand's headquarters has relocated several times in recent years,[7] Arctic Cat continues the majority of its manufacturing, along with snowmobile engineering, in Thief River Falls, Minnesota.[8] The company also manufactures engines at a facility in St. Cloud, Minnesota.[9]

On January 25, 2017, it was announced Arctic Cat will be acquired by Textron in for $247M in a cash transaction.[10] The all-terrain vehicle and side-by-side models branded as Arctic Cat were either discontinued or rebranded Textron, whereas the snowmobile models have kept the Arctic Cat brand. In early 2019, the company announced that the Arctic Cat brand would return to its side-by-sides and ATVs, beginning with the 2020 model year.[11]

Vehicles today
Snowmobiles

This section's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A snowmobile on a snowy mountain.
Arctic Cat Snowmobile.
Arctic Cat is known for their M series snowmobile models which were 3rd in Market share behind Ski-doo and Polaris in 2003. This "Skinny Mini" prototype sled had features different from other sleds at that time, by utilizing parts that provided more than one role and a track that had less width then other sleds, reducing rotating mass. Arctic Cat discovered that this design was splendid for mountain riding, however the trail model developed an overheating issue as the heat exchanges were found to be insufficient when ridden on ice and in marginal snow conditions. Though the majority of sleds experienced no issues, this resulted in a class action lawsuit and resulted in an out of court settlement where cat bought back from owners 3200 short track Firecat F-7's. These sleds featured a lay down type engine which placed the carburetors in front of the engine. which was centered low in the sled to centralize mass and was believed to allow cooler air inlet temperatures. Big changes were made to the lineup for the 2007 model year as a new chassis was introduced which was called a twin-spar chassis replacing all previous models while adding a new 4 stroke engine, the Z1 Jaguar, which featured an 1056cc 4-stroke parallel twin. In 2009 the Z1 was turbocharged to produce 177 horsepower (132 kW), which was 1 horsepower (0.75 kW) more than any other production snowmobile.[12] The Crossfire and M-series remain on the same M-series chassis which is a spin off from the original Firecat Chassis.

Arctic Cat ATV in use by the Finnish Border Guard
All-terrain vehicles
Arctic Cat started producing utility all-terrain vehicles in 1996, and expanded to produce side by side UTV's in 2005. They produce many different models from youth models to competition models, with other models being sport, recreation, 2-Up Trail, and utility models.[13] They also now offer a line of economy mid size utility atv's which are manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan. Most models come with both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive, ride in suspensions, and electronic power steering capabilities.[14]

The original design of utility ATVs was offered from 1996 to 2004 and featured single cylinder liquid or air cooled motors from 250 to 500cc's, and all of a common design. This Arctic Cat-designed motor was manufactured by Suzuki and featured a 2V SOHC design with hemispherical combustion chambers. Manual and CVT automatic transmissions were offered. A 650V2 V-twin engine option borrowed from the Kawasaki Prairie was also offered starting in 2003. A major redesign of the platform was launched in 2005. With the new redesign came new body work, electronics, rear mounted gas tank and a standard front locking diff, though the chassis in general remained largely unchanged. A new high performance engine platform also debuted in the 650H1. This H1 platform was a direct evolution of the previous suzuki manufactured engines with many parts being interchangeable, but was now manufactured by Arctic Cat in the US. A 700EFI model was also offered which used an engine and transmission combo borrowed from the Suzuki King Quad model. This is a 4V dohc design with no relation to the H1 engine platform. This was replaced with the 700H1 which was a higher displacement version of the 650H1 with fuel injection added. A 1000cc H2 V-twin engine, was also made available. Arctic Cat utility ATV's are primarily designed and marketed toward utilitarian uses such as farm work and hunting. Compared to other ATVs, they offer very high ground clearance, low gear ratios for towing, and large steel racks for hauling large loads, and large fuel tanks for extended range. The high ground clearance and locking differentials make them particularly adept off road. They also offer 2 up models, and the TBX model which features a large dump box and high payload capacity, and a Mud Pro model which features factory air snorkels to allow it to drive nearly submerged, larger mud tires, and stronger driveline components.

In 2017, Arctic Cat produced its final model year for ATVs after joining Textron with the Alterra continuing under the Textron Off Road brand name. The Arctic Cat brand will return to side-by-side lines in 2019, for model year 2020 vehicles.[11]

Side-by-sides

2016 Arctic Cat 700 Prowler HDX
Arctic Cat offered its first side by side UTV, the Prowler, starting in 2005. This is a utility model with large rear mounted box similar to a pickup truck bed. It is mainly intended for utility and farm use. A new high performance model, the Wildcat was also launched to meet the new demand for recreational UTVs aimed at high speed trail riding which was made popular by the huge success of the Polaris RZR. Both Prowlers and Wildcats are offered in 2 and 4 seat models with various engine offerings.

In 2015, Arctic Cat launched the Side-By-Side (SXS) Racing Series as a support series to the Stadium Super Trucks; the series fielded ten Wildcat side-by-sides for its debut at the Sand Sports Super Show in Costa Mesa, California.[15]

In 2017, Arctic Cat produced its final model year for UTVs after joining Textron with variations of the Wildcat and Prowler being offered under the Textron Off Road brand name. The Arctic Cat brand will return to side-by-side lines in 2019, for model year 2020 vehicles.[11]

Arctic Cat ATV in use by the Finnish Border Guard

All-terrain vehicles[edit]

Arctic Cat started producing utility all-terrain vehicles in 1996, and expanded to produce side by side UTV's in 2005. They produce many different models from youth models to competition models, with other models being sport, recreation, 2-Up Trail, and utility models.[13] They also now offer a line of economy mid size utility atv's which are manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan. Most models come with both 2-wheel drive and 4-wheel drive, ride in suspensions, and electronic power steering capabilities.[14]

The original design of utility ATVs was offered from 1996 to 2004 and featured single cylinder liquid or air cooled motors from 250 to 500cc's, and all of a common design. This Arctic Cat-designed motor was manufactured by Suzuki and featured a 2V SOHC design with hemispherical combustion chambers. Manual and CVT automatic transmissions were offered. A 650V2 V-twin engine option borrowed from the Kawasaki Prairie was also offered starting in 2003. A major redesign of the platform was launched in 2005. With the new redesign came new body work, electronics, rear mounted gas tank and a standard front locking diff, though the chassis in general remained largely unchanged. A new high performance engine platform also debuted in the 650H1. This H1 platform was a direct evolution of the previous suzuki manufactured engines with many parts being interchangeable, but was now manufactured by Arctic Cat in the US. A 700EFI model was also offered which used an engine and transmission combo borrowed from the Suzuki King Quad model. This is a 4V dohc design with no relation to the H1 engine platform. This was replaced with the 700H1 which was a higher displacement version of the 650H1 with fuel injection added. A 1000cc H2 V-twin engine, was also made available. Arctic Cat utility ATV's are primarily designed and marketed toward utilitarian uses such as farm work and hunting. Compared to other ATVs, they offer very high ground clearance, low gear ratios for towing, and large steel racks for hauling large loads, and large fuel tanks for extended range. The high ground clearance and locking differentials make them particularly adept off road. They also offer 2 up models, and the TBX model which features a large dump box and high payload capacity, and a Mud Pro model which features factory air snorkels to allow it to drive nearly submerged, larger mud tires, and stronger driveline components.

In 2017, Arctic Cat produced its final model year for ATVs after joining Textron with the Alterra continuing under the Textron Off Road brand name. The Arctic Cat brand will return to side-by-side lines in 2019, for model year 2020 vehicles.[11]

Side-by-sides[edit]

220px-Arctic_Cat_HDX_700_XT_EPS.jpg

2016 Arctic Cat 700 Prowler HDX

Arctic Cat offered its first side by side UTV, the Prowler, starting in 2005. This is a utility model with large rear mounted box similar to a pickup truck bed. It is mainly intended for utility and farm use. A new high performance model, the Wildcat was also launched to meet the new demand for recreational UTVs aimed at high speed trail riding which was made popular by the huge success of the Polaris RZR. Both Prowlers and Wildcats are offered in 2 and 4 seat models with various engine offerings.

In 2015, Arctic Cat launched the Side-By-Side (SXS) Racing Series as a support series to the Stadium Super Trucks; the series fielded ten Wildcat side-by-sides for its debut at the Sand Sports Super Show in Costa Mesa, California.[15]

In 2017, Arctic Cat produced its final model year for UTVs after joining Textron with variations of the Wildcat and Prowler being offered under the Textron Off Road brand name. The Arctic Cat brand will return to side-by-side lines in 2019, for model year 2020 vehicles.[11]

• Thanks 1

This one just popped up on our local market place for $400 , I am not a 350D guy , but I like blue , don't need another atv -------  the rear end is valuable to me as it fits into a 300 , the fenders and plastics might bring in a few bucks , I might could get the rear end for free if I parted out what's left  

Keep your eyes open for a donor/parts bike 

350d blue .jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

This one just popped up on our local market place for $400 , I am not a 350D guy , but I like blue , don't need another atv -------  the rear end is valuable to me as it fits into a 300 , the fenders and plastics might bring in a few bucks , I might could get the rear end for free if I parted out what's left  

Keep your eyes open for a donor/parts bike 

350d blue .jpg

Go get that! Blue is much rarer in the us. Those plastics could bring you $$$$!!

• Like 1

The thing I did NOT like about the Suzuki motor in my FIL's AC300 is that the intake runs downhill into the engine, and the carbs on these things are as bad as the 350 Ranchers when it comes to float needles not sealing.  You end up with a crankcase full of gas if you forget to shut the fuel valve off and leave it sitting. 

The engines are a PITA to work on too, sitting back in the back of the frame like that.  I had to replace the starter reduction gears in his, and I had a helluva time getting the left engine cover off to access it. 

That said, for late 90's, a machine with High/Low/Super low, front diff lock, IRS, and disc brakes all the way around was WAY ahead of its time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

The thing I did NOT like about the Suzuki motor in my FIL's AC300 is that the intake runs downhill into the engine, and the carbs on these things are as bad as the 350 Ranchers when it comes to float needles not sealing.  You end up with a crankcase full of gas if you forget to shut the fuel valve off and leave it sitting. 

The engines are a PITA to work on too, sitting back in the back of the frame like that.  I had to replace the starter reduction gears in his, and I had a helluva time getting the left engine cover off to access it. 

That said, for late 90's, a machine with High/Low/Super low, front diff lock, IRS, and disc brakes all the way around was WAY ahead of its time.

Now you've gone and convinced me to keep my eyes open..

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

The engines are a PITA to work on.....

I live for PITA. Hahaha

I thought it might be a bugger to work on the engine or anything related. Oddest looking machine....looks like the engine is missing!! Haha

I fixed a broken plastic/rubber intake tube (its long, runs downhill as @jeepwm69 mentioned) and repaired one of the battery posts by soldering on a new bolt and cleaned the leaky carb and fixed the choke on a 2000 AC 300 4 years ago for a friend who has a hunting camp just down the road from me. He and his girlfriend drove three hours 'round trip back to my place to pick the running bike up and take it home. Two weeks later I saw it listed for sale on Craiglist for $700.... the bike was probably worth at least $1500 as is, so I made the phone call and his girlfriend answered the phone, told me she had just sold it 10 minutes ago cause they needed money for Xmas gifts.

I was kinda bummed out because I had fixed that bike for free, they knew that I was interested in it and they didn't even bother offering it to me before they put it on Craigslist. I'd have given them a lot more than their asking price and saved them the trip they made to pick it up. Then the following hunting season my buddy arrived in camp without an ATV. So I had to load all of his gear onto my bike and shuttle it all through the mud to his camp for him. And he dragged his buck out that year using the armstrong method, all by himself, almost a half mile back to his camp. He rides an old 2wd 450 Polaris now, got smarter and left the bike at his camp this winter so his girlfriend can't sell it this time. I went down there and grabbed the battery out of it and I am maintaining it through the winter, but I ain't gonna be working on that junker. It was bad enough having to tow it out of the woods every few days while he was here. We have fun though, no hard feelings, his girlfriend just sold the wrong stinkin' bike.

• Like 2

That sucks. 

That kinda thing is also why I've held back on fixing stuff for people.  Nothing like putting a lot of time and effort into something so they can flip it for a quick buck.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 9:50 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Ditto!!! They were an awesome atv.  I've had my eyes out for a clean kingquad 300 for a long time.  Put those things in super low and they will pull anything. They are great on trails with the independent suspension.  Suzuki could have sold that design for a few more years.