Eyewitness89

New to here and to ATVs

Hey yall, just saying hi, I just recently acquired my 1st 4 wheeler on a deal that I couldn't pass up. I got it rideable and have took it mudding. 

It's a 2004 foreman 450fm. The gearshift arm was broken when I got it, and it smokes. Also needed tires. Fast forward 2 weeks after getting her home, gearshift is fixed and she's sitting on 29.5 outlaws.

Next step is rings and a gear reduction. So since I'm new to all this, I joined to try to learn a bit. Guessing this would be a good time to mention that I'm a mechanic by trade on everything from helicopters to construction equipment (and certified!). So tools and general knowledge I have, just looking for insights on the more intricate details.

20200126_220039.jpg

20200126_220031.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome to the site ...  would guess SWLA is south west Louisiana ?  but your map point shows different , I am from SELA and also work on heavy equipment  --  I have one 450 with 14.5% and one with 34.5% , the 450s are geared low to start , you can run the 29.5 tires with the 14.5%  , but I'd go 34.5 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum....Not far from you Livonia area,moved back 2 years ago after being gone for 25 years,feels

good to be home.Being a mechanic by trade you shouldn't have no trouble keeping that bike running.

Welcome! I'm looking forward to following your build!

Glad you found us, you won't be disappointed in the help you will find here, many good folks with tons of experience....

Welcome to the site. Lots of great folks always willing to help out. 

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Welcome to the site ...  would guess SWLA is south west Louisiana ?  but your map point shows different , I am from SELA and also work on heavy equipment  --  I have one 450 with 14.5% and one with 34.5% , the 450s are geared low to start , you can run the 29.5 tires with the 14.5%  , but I'd go 34.5 

Yeah I don't know why I was map marked across the globe.. I got it fixed now

I was considering the 14.5% or an 18% but from what I read the 26t primary gear from an older 300 is hard to get, but the 27t I've seen all over Ebay. Reason I wasn't looking at the 34.5 yet is I do quite well as is and there are some places we ride that I gotta get thru fast (cops/trespassing). And the guys I ride with are far faster on stock bikes than I am currently. 

My 2000 can only do 19mph with the 34% and 29.5s according to the speedo  I have never gps’ed the 2002 with 14.5 % and 27s. The speedo doesn’t Work on my 2002 as I modified the front diff

what would a 300 primary gear be worth to you.  I have a few of them.  

I just done some research on the 300 primary gear -------  you mentioned 26T and it rang a bell  , I just looked and all 300s from 88-2000 and  the TRX250 Fourtrax from 86-87 and the ATC250 ES use the same 27T primary , there were two part numbers used for the  same gear , old number was  23120-HAO-770 ( fits 86-87 TRX250 A / TRX300 A + FW )  and new number 23100-HC4-750 ( fits 86-87 TRX250 Fourtrax , ATC250ES and 88-2000 TRX300 A +FW ) , so the part numbers  over lap --------- the clutch basket is part number 22100-HC4-000 , only one part number for all the years above 

So I don't know what model or year you really need to find a 26T primary  ... Are you sure you want a 26T ... I don't think I have 26T  , only 27T 

8 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I just done some research on the 300 primary gear -------  you mentioned 26T and it rang a bell  , I just looked and all 300s from 88-2000 and  the TRX250 Fourtrax from 86-87 and the ATC250 ES use the same 27T primary , there were two part numbers used for the  same gear , old number was  23120-HAO-770 ( fits 86-87 TRX250 A / TRX300 A + FW )  and new number 23100-HC4-750 ( fits 86-87 TRX250 Fourtrax , ATC250ES and 88-2000 TRX300 A +FW ) , so the part numbers  over lap --------- the clutch basket is part number 22100-HC4-000 , only one part number for all the years above 

So I don't know what model or year you really need to find a 26T primary  ... Are you sure you want a 26T ... I don't think I have 26T  , only 27T 

If I'm not mistaken the 26t was for a 16% reduction and was in the '85 or older.. and would require the bore to be machined as the shaft diameter was smaller.. so 14.5% should be plenty fine to keep me from stripping 1st and much less work. Also I think with the 26t you have to destroy the stock primary to get the brass bushing out undamaged.  So definitely 27t for me.

The very fist 85 250 BigRed had the 26t, mid 85+ was switched to the 27t. The 26T was treated as gold when these gear reductions first started.

• Like 1

I didn't get in the shed to dig up a primary and clutch basket for you today , got home about 3:00 and  we went back into woods this evening to take down the cameras and dump the feeders , so I am going to try and do it  tomorrow 

No worries fish.. I'm probably just gonna use them in the engine I rebuild and see if I cant blow this one up and play mad scientist fixing it lol