Eyewitness89

04 Foreman trx450fm

I don't know about the 26T reduction , other than what I learned from you -------  LBZ is a member here who I would think would know , as he is also a ATC guy and that is where the 26T comes from ( the 85 ATC250Es Big Red  and the 85  TRX250A Fourtrax )  , LBZ  hooked me up on my buying my 34.5% reduction and is very knowledgable on reductions ----TooDeep also posted on your thread with info on the 26T - 18% ( I would guess 18 is the 26T combo ) so bet he will know and chime in ------- as far as reduction builders , they are a bunch on Facebook ----- I think Jeremy Lee of Reduction Boss is the best reduction builder , here is some info on him , you can click his link in blue and underscored , then message him or try calling 

Anyone looking for a quality machined reduction make sure to contact Jeremy Lee Reduction Boss for all your needs, he has a variety of top-notch product! Also, if you need reductions installed in the south east GA/ North FL area hit me up!

No photo description available.
Reduction Boss updated his cover photo.

All I know is the old reduction builders (Jeremy Lee, James Clark and Don Oglesby). I'm not even sure if James or Don mess around with that stuff anymore.

man, when you tear into a project ^^^, you dont mess around time wise !..lol. hats off to ya for digging in !. all that milky stuff is from being sunk. i hope you go all out, and try your best to make it water proof !. i am by no means a lake rider, mud rider, i dont have time and money to waste, to each their own though :-). as for the piston kits ?, i run namura in my builds, i dont see a reason to drop a high end piston kit name in an engine that will barely make a difference in hp ?, its not worth it in my book, you will not notice that much difference in hp gain if ya ask me ?, but..its your money, your time..do as ya wish bro :-).

Waterproofing is fairly easy, aside from going to deep with an unhooked snorkel. (Which is something I have to fix and realign) however I will NOT do what it looks someone previously tried to do and epoxy the case halves. Proper gaskets, proper torque and torquing patterns work miracles on waterproofing.

So you are saying Namura is high dollar? Or that they work wonderfully in place of high dollar kits? 

I spent many years as an aircraft mechanic, I'm not one for using silicone or rtv to seal things up. Gaskets are designed for that.

I'll probably keep this thread going as I rebuild/build this bike up just for ideas/suggestions/possible help to others with pictures and ways to do things

Also, since this started as just a question and is bleeding into a rebuild any way we can get this moved into 

or since the threads are ongoing would it be problematic?

I merged them together. I really need to play around with that more as they are not merging quite like I want them to.... but it's all in one thread. 😁

42 minutes ago, Eyewitness89 said:

Waterproofing is fairly easy, aside from going to deep with an unhooked snorkel. (Which is something I have to fix and realign) however I will NOT do what it looks someone previously tried to do and epoxy the case halves. Proper gaskets, proper torque and torquing patterns work miracles on waterproofing.

So you are saying Namura is high dollar? Or that they work wonderfully in place of high dollar kits? 

I spent many years as an aircraft mechanic, I'm not one for using silicone or rtv to seal things up. Gaskets are designed for that.

I'll probably keep this thread going as I rebuild/build this bike up just for ideas/suggestions/possible help to others with pictures and ways to do things

i'm saying, money wise, just run namura piston kits, no need to waste money on wiseco kits, it wont make a difference in hp gains.

I got the Wisco 10.5/1 in my blue 300 with a 1st gen cam , muffler and  don't really see a difference , when  that piston goes south it will get a stock piston , my theory now days is go cheap , so it cost less to fix when disaster occurs , you know that saying when you play with fire you are going to get burn , it works with water also , play in the water enough  and one day you are going to suck some up 

My 2000 450 has a 500 sleeve in the 450 jug , with a custom 93.5mm J+E piston ( 90mm is stock ) , then a TRX400 head which is the same head with a small combustion dome , grinded the intake port , HMF muffler and a jet kit , it runs really good , love the sound  , instant responce with the 34.5%  with 29.5 Outlaws  --- but talking about water proofing  it , I have a problem with that 450 , twice already the oil has got milky , it was never sunk , yet , the crankcase is vented up with the snorkel , have changed the rear out put seal , which had a leak of oil into the boot , thought that was the problem and it done it again afterwards , now I am thinking the seal behind the pull starter 

A build like above , which was a duplicate of  the HighLifter BigBlock kit back when , is a one time deal , when the bore or piston wears out or is damaged , then it is replace it all as there is no oversize piston 

So if it were me , I would keep it stock and put that HP engine money into something like a high powered sound system and a quality ice chest full of months of beverages , LOL 

as for '' water proofing '' ?, you will NEVER...ever..make that motor 100% water proof..its a known, proven fact by what i have seen in my 28 years of rebuilding atvs ( honda mostly ). there is no way in this world your going to keep water out of that engine, or anywhere else for that matter ?!. i dont care what you think will stop water, mud , what ever from getting inside the engine ?, IT WILL NOT STOP IT !. sure, you can slow it down ?, but you will never stop it. atvs are not boats, they were not designed for water, boats..yes, atv engines ?..no !. i wish ya the best in your journey, i just hope you got lots of spare cash laying around..lol.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I got the Wisco 10.5/1 in my blue 300 with a 1st gen cam , muffler and  don't really see a difference , when  that piston goes south it will get a stock piston , my theory now days is go cheap , so it cost less to fix when disaster occurs , you know that saying when you play with fire you are going to get burn , it works with water also , play in the water enough  and one day you are going to suck some up 

My 2000 450 has a 500 sleeve in the 450 jug , with a custom 93.5mm J+E piston ( 90mm is stock ) , then a TRX400 head which is the same head with a small combustion dome , grinded the intake port , HMF muffler and a jet kit , it runs really good , love the sound  , instant responce with the 34.5%  with 29.5 Outlaws  --- but talking about water proofing  it , I have a problem with that 450 , twice already the oil has got milky , it was never sunk , yet , the crankcase is vented up with the snorkel , have changed the rear out put seal , which had a leak of oil into the boot , thought that was the problem and it done it again afterwards , now I am thinking the seal behind the pull starter 

A build like above , which was a duplicate of  the HighLifter BigBlock kit back when , is a one time deal , when the bore or piston wears out or is damaged , then it is replace it all as there is no oversize piston 

So if it were me , I would keep it stock and put that HP engine money into something like a high powered sound system and a quality ice chest full of months of beverages , LOL 

haha..you were the guy i thought of when i posted to OP, no matter what you did to your trx300 i think it was ?, you still got water in past the seals wasn't it ?. you can't stop water ?, unless you use a boat ?!..lol.

• Like 1

The 300s have been all right with holding their breath ---------  it's that 2000 450 that needs a nose pincher when it takes a deep dip 

15 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

The 300s have been all right with holding their breath ---------  it's that 2000 450 that needs a nose pincher when it takes a deep dip 

here's a thought...maybe dont put it in water ??..lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

as for '' water proofing '' ?, you will NEVER...ever..make that motor 100% water proof..its a known, proven fact by what i have seen in my 28 years of rebuilding atvs ( honda mostly ). there is no way in this world your going to keep water out of that engine, or anywhere else for that matter ?!. i dont care what you think will stop water, mud , what ever from getting inside the engine ?, IT WILL NOT STOP IT !. sure, you can slow it down ?, but you will never stop it. atvs are not boats, they were not designed for water, boats..yes, atv engines ?..no !. i wish ya the best in your journey, i just hope you got lots of spare cash laying around..lol.

You are exactly right.. it'll never be 100% but with the right steps and precautions you can limit your chances.  Although... what we were to build one of them sealing tanks they use underwater for welding around our engines?! 

But no seriously, I work on a big construction site, we constantly tear down small honda engines for being submerged in the mud out here.. generators, trash pumps, SXS.. all fairly simple, quick.. but then again I do this fairly regularly 

If it were not for riding in the slop and water for fun . I would  not have much use for a Atv.  A Atv To me is nothing but a toy.  Ever since I was a kid I have been rough on my toys.

people have Atv’s that sit in their garages for years And seldom used and have like 5 hours on them    4 hours is from starting  them up and letting them idle for a few minutes here and there to keep them running. That’s what don’t make no sense to me. Use it or lose it.  

Something else about atv usage around here is , people go out and buy high dollar atvs and then quickly learn that they really don't have any where to ride it anyways , other than them paying to ride at the mud parks , cause the wooded land is all becoming deer leases or being bought up and subdivision and strip malls being put in , and people who do own big chunks of land don't want atvs on their land tearing up the trails and trashing the place , and then there is the problem of people getting hurt on their  land and sue'ing them , cause people don't have no respect these days 

• Like 1

We do have an abundance of slop and mud down here.. maybe if I lived somewhere dry, I'd be more into trail riding.. but than I'd have probably tried going with a Trx450R

I hear you on the trail riding ..... I think if I was into  long rides down hard , dry , rock and  dirt roads on mountains where you need good brakes and can  get it up over 10-15mph every once in a while and was looking for a smooth ride while doing it   , I wouldn't own a Honda , I'd be riding a Can-Am , LOL  ------  If God  gives you water and lemons , make lemon-aide  , cause it is easier to swallow the lemon when diluted with the water , water is what I really like about Honda , they can take a sinkin' and keep on kickin' 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Something else about atv usage around here is , people go out and buy high dollar atvs and then quickly learn that they really don't have any where to ride it anyways , other than them paying to ride at the mud parks , cause the wooded land is all becoming deer leases or being bought up and subdivision and strip malls being put in , and people who do own big chunks of land don't want atvs on their land tearing up the trails and trashing the place , and then there is the problem of people getting hurt on their  land and sue'ing them , cause people don't have no respect these days 

Another thing that's started happening to us 4wheeler guys is the SXS craze.  Talked to the guy who had land we used to ride every spring down in South Arkansas.  He said the big lifted SXS's have rutted out all the trails down there so much that you can't ride a stock-ish 4wheeler down them anymore.  You end up high centered in every hole, and the woods are so thick it's hard to go around the holes. 

Same is true from what I've seen of ATV parks.  If you don't have a built mud bike you can't ride them.

Well, work seems to be determined to not let me have time to work on my bike. I really haven't made much progress.. but definitely gotta take the spare jug to get bored.. has some very fine pitting that's too much to hone out

Patience , haste make waste , good things come to those that wait , anything worth doing is worth doing it right the first time and my favorite , it is what it is .... your time will come , be ready when it does 

• Like 2

I really have had great service from G+H when it comes to boring , here is a link to their 450 deal $173 plus $15 shipping back to you and your shipping to them about $15 , so about $203 for a reconditioned upper complete kit , done by people who do just that every day and do it for customers  around the world in motor cross racing , I recently heard they may have switched their piston manufacturer from Shindy to another brand , if you do call them ask what they are using now and what can be substituted 

http://www.ghdiscountatvsupply.com/honda-trx450-foreman-engine-motor-top-rebuild-kit-and-cylinder-machining-service/

Hey all, I know I've been dark for awhile now, work was killing me. I hadn't touched my 4 wheeler since my last post, well I got busy this week with it. Had to get it running right for a ride next weekend. It was a mosquito spray bike before, so not having a job now and no extra cash to spend, i pulled the piston and head from the parts bike.. barely smoking now, fixed my fan to a toggle switch so I can kill it before getting into some water. I missed riding 

• Like 1

Yeah, the job was coming to an end, so we laid ppl off and upped hours and days worked, barely had any time till I finally got laid off

Well good news bad news and some funny news.. good news is not smoking anymore and runs strong.. took her out to sabine atv park this past weekend.. bad news I avoided mud cause I snapped my brand new winch cable pulling my buddies Polaris out of a hole, and my timing chain needs to be replaced.. its slapping.. and need to clean the carberator again.. but she made it the whole weekend with minor hiccups.. then I rolled it going down a steep incline when I caught a rut from a sxs.. flipped her over.. fired back up.. rode rest of the day

• Like 1