Eyewitness89

04 Foreman trx450fm

Glad you got it runniung and rode it ---- That " barely smoking now "  that you mentioned , might stop after the oil that was in the muffler burns off , I have seen it take a couple of hours to burn out -------  did you replace the stem seals when you had it apart ? ---- I find my 450 is quicker to flip over than my 300  ----What's up with that winch cable , wire rope or synthetic rope ?  

I didn't spend a dime except the new winch cable. I used the head and piston and rings from the parts bike. Steel cable because I can't use synthetic in my real unless I get a barrel from warn. I prefer SS cable over synthetic for s couple reasons. But I snapped it cause he was stuck stuck, in reverse I was winching myself in.. so I tried yanking.. bad idea

Yanking on the winch cable is not a good thing ---I too prefer steel cable 

So I put the 450 on back burner.. decided to get on the 650.. I think I'm looking at getting a new frame.. all it needed was a new oil pump chain.. and I go and disassemble it and find rot

20200607_230847.jpg

20200608_000624.jpg

20200608_000629.jpg

• Like 1

It's completely off.. need a new one.. plus I'll do the timing chain since I'm in there. And it's a little loose.. and the oil seal on the front cover was leaking.. sigh.. so much to do.. but i really want to compare the 650 to my 450

20200326_082803.jpg

20200326_082814.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eyewitness89 said:

It's completely off.. need a new one.. plus I'll do the timing chain since I'm in there. And it's a little loose.. and the oil seal on the front cover was leaking.. sigh.. so much to do.. but i really want to compare the 650 to my 450

20200326_082803.jpg

20200326_082814.jpg

my .02's worth ?, the trx450fm ( if manual shift ? ) will out last the trx650, why ?, cuz the trx650 if this is it ^^ ?, is a stupid es model !..lol.

From what I know about the 650 , it is a torque convertor automatic with 3 forward speeds and reverse , I only know one person that has one and he don't ride with us  , so I don't have any reviews on it --- I have read where it actually has 675cc , so it could be called a 700 by Honda standards 

• Like 1

Just now, Fishfiles said:

From what I know about the 650 , it is a torque convertor automatic with 3 forward speeds and reverse , I only know one person that has one and he don't ride with us  , so I don't have any reviews on it --- I have read where it actually has 675cc , so it could be called a 700 by Honda standards 

so not only es, but auto too ?..hahaha..junk !.

Yes, it's an automatic.. yes my 450 will outlast it.. but the 650 is for the wife and I picked it up cheap.. I just want to see the power difference. The 650 will not be getting put on 29.5 outlaws. Maybe I'll put 26s on it but its mostly staying stock unlike my 450

• Like 1

One of my buddies has a 680 Rincon.  He rides with it bouncing off the rev limiter all the time, doesn't maintain it at all, and while I'm not a fan of the 3 speed, it has been a TOUGH bike.

I rebuilt it a couple of years ago, and swore I'd never do another one.  He sank it 3-4 times, and it finally started smoking, so I tore it down, split cases to clean it out, and put it back together with a .25 over top end, new pump chain, new timing chain, and no orings in the oil pump.   It ran for about a week and then stopped pulling.  I was swamped at the time so he took it to the Honda dealer, who replaced the oil pump, charged him $1K to do it, and it's been fine since.

He had 650 before the 680 and said the 650 felt like it had more power than the 680.  The 650 top ends are nikasil plated and can't be bored. 

No engine braking, and geared high.  3 speed kinda sucks, but for a trail machine they are a blast to ride.  The IRS gives a great ride, and they have a lot of power compared to other Hondas.

650 also has drums up front.  You can swap on 680 discs up front if you want good brakes.

wasn't the 650 carb , and the 680 fuel injected ? or was it a certain year they switched the 650 ? over to injection ? 

@Brian Bertram is the guy who has fixed auto transmissions ....  wonder if he's ever had his hands on those models ... 

I'm sure it's great on the trail, with the IRS but I mud.. aside from the fact its automatic. I'm not a fan of water cooled engines in the mud, I've seen way more radiators get plugged up with mud than I've seen motors so encased with mud they overheat. But aside from that, I think it'll be a fun bike for the wife. Plus she gets to feel good that my 450 with a GR can't keep up.

There was a guy on the old board Rurouni20xx who was the Rincon mechanic.  They are a totally different system than the automatic used in the Hondamatic machines that Brian rebuilds.

650 was carb'd with drum brakes, 03-05.  Tended to have cam issues.

680 was EFI with discs, and hasn't really changed from 2006-2020

And Eyewitness89, I agree with you on the water cooled in the mud.  I ride footshift 500's which are the last of the air cooled machines.  When we get in the mud I spend a lot of time waiting on the liquid cooled machines to cool down when their temp lights come on.

thanks jeep.... i did hear of the cam issue ... must have been in the old forums ... i was just getting back into honda atvs at little Johnny's   shop at that time i didn't know how much better the 300 was ... asked him... about a tree bark camo 680 ... he had ... extremely low  hours .. told him i might be interested ... thens when he told me "quote" ... i wouldn't have one! ... there too costly to maintain .... and nowhere close to the dependability of a 300.... plus liquid cooled .. so i passed ... but it did  have some serious power! he told me he'd keep an eye out for a mint 300 88 model .... but never had any luck till he located  that mint 2000 300 ... i haven't looked at any other model of utlity honda sence ... now... I'd like to have a sport model ... lol 

Yeah Jeep, only one of the guys I ride with has liquid cooled, efi, auto.. we spend more time pulling him out. We finally told him go buy a honda, if you bring that thing again we aren't going. We all ride 300s, 400s and then me with my 450. I love my 450, I go right thru stuff they get stuck in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

thanks jeep.... i did hear of the cam issue ... must have been in the old forums ... i was just getting back into honda atvs at little Johnny's   shop at that time i didn't know how much better the 300 was ... asked him... about a tree bark camo 680 ... he had ... extremely low  hours .. told him i might be interested ... thens when he told me "quote" ... i wouldn't have one! ... there too costly to maintain .... and nowhere close to the dependability of a 300.... plus liquid cooled .. so i passed ... but it did  have some serious power! he told me he'd keep an eye out for a mint 300 88 model .... but never had any luck till he located  that mint 2000 300 ... i haven't looked at any other model of utlity honda sence ... now... I'd like to have a sport model ... lol 

Yeah the rebuild I did was a nightmare.  I got it running and cleaned out, but everything on those runs on oil pressure. 

They are geared high and that 3 speed would suck for the kind of riding I do, so I wouldn't have one.  I like work-style machines better, even for cruising.

• Like 1

Gotta love honda frames. Weld got a bit messy, apparently my wire started rusting and was sticking in the gun.. made the weld spotty, but will hold way better now

20200608_000624.jpg

received_255487412217145.jpeg