Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

14 hours ago, retro said:

I would never put a manual cam chain adjuster on a Honda ATV unless it was a race only bike that receives maintenance after every event. Its easy to overtighten the chain using those manual adjusters and they require very frequent attention. Are you 100% sure of your decision?

lol..i guess bling over rules logic huh ?..lol.

I never had any issues with my old one. I know how to adjust it properly without going too tight. It does require more attention yes. I honestly don't put thousands of miles on, so I'm sure it will be fine... 

• Like 1

Well it’s just been sitting on the bench now for a few weeks. I went on a wild boar hunting trip last days off so I didn’t get at the engine. Today I’ll be getting the locker installed & start the tear down of the motor. I ordered a full gasket & oil seal set which Honda will have for me Friday. I still have to order another DID chain, possibly few other odds & ends. Spring is basically around the corner here in Alberta so I HAVE to get this beast back together & up & running!!!

These are the hogs I hammered! Old SKS loaded with Hornady 123g SST Gummie Tips were DEVESTATING on them!! 

286BEE68-4BE0-4D67-965A-F374B885383D.jpeg

6783A6A6-174F-4BB0-B3CB-498A9808FC19.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

They let yall have SKS's up there?  I thought Canada was pretty strict about semi-auto "assault rifles".....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

They let yall have SKS's up there?  I thought Canada was pretty strict about semi-auto "assault rifles".....

Yup we can own lots of "kewl" guns, but have to be pinned to no more than 5rds...

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Yup we can own lots of "kewl" guns, but have to be pinned to no more than 5rds...

😞

Seems like yall are still able to import stuff from China though, right?  I miss the days of dirt cheap Norinco ammo before Clinton banned ammo imports from China.

Can you still get Norinco AK's and SKS's up there?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

😞

Seems like yall are still able to import stuff from China though, right?  I miss the days of dirt cheap Norinco ammo before Clinton banned ammo imports from China.

Can you still get Norinco AK's and SKS's up there?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yes we can buy Norinco SKS & bulk corrosive ammo. I don't shoot that ammo because it's a racket to always field strip & clean all the time... I only shoot Hornady...

• Like 1

I ran a manual cam chain tensioner once, when the cam chain was so worn the factory auto adjust wouldn't take up the slack anymore lol. It was either that or pound a socket on the end of the factory one. I'm no stranger to greasy tricks to "get by" on quads that don't mean a whole lot to me. I ended up replacing all the worn parts and re-installing the factory tensioner before I sold it. Still have the manual tensioner here, save it for the next time. 

My preference is auto-adjust.

• Like 3

Well I took some time finally this am to start getting the darn thing apart. So far it’s all coming apart nice. Cam looks great still. But there seems to me a lot of carbon build up on the piston & valves. Could that be from all the previous issues trying g to get the jetting correct? Or does this look normal to u guys???

This is about as far as I’ll get today as I have to take off for another week of work...

063C729F-A6C4-48B6-9C5E-C8223979792C.jpeg

9504AA44-E500-40AD-9FFA-DB791CE165EA.jpeg

40553CC1-DA51-4A39-9797-A5DD1A8913EE.jpeg

F1C2FDB5-BCFE-41A3-A554-EE7A159A32FA.jpeg

3412A9DB-5868-4AE2-A7A9-59F5074B1B43.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Dang! Thats alot of carbon! How long ago did you do that topend? Miles roughly? Hours roughly? Seems like you were running rich or using way way crappy fuel.

• Like 1

One other thing i noticed. That headgasket you used is junk. Get a good cometic or oem honda mls gasket. Those ones with the thin ring around the cylinder are garbage. I wouldnt be surprised if that gasket was letting oil leach into that cylinder and be burnt causing some of that soot.

• Like 1

This is the best picture i had of my wiseco piston i took out of my motor. This is 4 years old and ridden hard. On mostly race fuel or a mixture of race fuel and premium. I didnt clean it at all. This is exactly how it came out.

20200331_160335.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Dang! Thats alot of carbon! How long ago did you do that topend? Miles roughly? Hours roughly? Seems like you were running rich or using way way crappy fuel

I agree that’s a lot! The engine was first fired up Dec 26th 2016. So it’s been alive for 3 years. I had a lot of trouble tuning it for a while & found the timing was off a tooth for like a year. So I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Tiny Tach was installed after it was build & shows 79.4hrs. The gasket is custom Made  by Cometic for The HL 355bbk. I don’t have much choice on that... I run 94 Octane Fuel. I may have to look into the carb a bit more to be 110% sure it’s correct. 

Man that sucks. Why would they use such a crappy head gasket? Thats nuts! I have never seen cometic make that style of head gasket for anything btw. Just typed in cometic headgasket atv on ebay and not a single one is that style of gasket. It would be odd that HL is having cometic make custom gaskets that are nothing like any gasket they sell. Alittle suspicious.

HL doesn’t sell them anymore. They directed me right to Cometic. I had to order directly from them!

image.jpg

i bet a lot of that carbon is from worn rings ?, or bad valve guide seals ?. any bets ?...lol.

14 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i bet a lot of that carbon is from worn rings ?, or bad valve guide seals ?. any bets ?...lol.

all of that was replaced when I did the engine. Never smoked or went down on oil...

Sure seems like a lot of carbon, jetting would have to have been pretty far off.

I imagine cometic could make you a gasket in whatever style you want. They make the BBK gasket as it is, so they know the diameter for the bore and gasket thickness already.

• Like 1

Yeah i would be asking if they can make that gasket in an mls. Oem honda is mls and there is a reason for that. Its a way better sealing gasket. Expecially if they bumped up the compression on that piston kit. The mls gasket will be way better! I guess being a tooth out of time could be the reason for all the carbon build up? But man that is alot for such a short time. How did the spark plug look?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wheeler said:

all of that was replaced when I did the engine. Never smoked or went down on oil...

well then, your carb jets are way off then !. i normally dont see that kinda carbon build up unless the rings are badly worn ?, valve guide seals are worn ?, or the jets are off big time ?, timing can effect it too, didn't you say the timing marks were off a tooth or so ?. timing ( on all my builds anyway ! ) have always been dead on !.

• Like 1

My last Honda that had the 355bbk never had any issues with the head gasket. I talked to the guy who I sold it to yesterday. (Zedlep was username on other site). He pulled the motor apart & was fine as well. So I'm going to eliminate the gasket as a cause. There was no visible issue as either. As some of you may remember I had a hard time getting the jetting correct. OR what I thought was correct. I was always wayy to rich, get it dialed in to what I thought was good then find out I had a tooth off on the cam gear.. So that must of caused some issues.. To be honest when i pulled the plug it was black... So I'm not going to say I'm back to the drawing board, however I know have a mission after I get er clean & freshened up... This build has NEVER run as good as my old one that ended up with Zedlep! He told me the plug in that bike was always a nice light grey.......I remember when I originally had to fix the jetting in that rig... at night, WOT the SS White Brothers exhaust would glow red from engine back to the fender!!!!!!!!! I upsized the main & that quad ran amazing... with no more glow back to the fender. 

As Zedlep says........ "Lean is MEAN"! 

I'll fix it!!!!!

heres a pic of the original piston compared to the one which is now carboned up

8CC36B9C-5019-4FE0-86E8-81CB3AFA49BD.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

I called-up Specialty Motorsports (local atv/sled shop) & they can hone my cylinder. So this morning I'm going to drop it off. Going to carry on with tearing it apart today.... I'm hoping I can at least get the side case off & the new one on... then the rest is a walk in the park...

Edited by Wheeler

I dropped the cylinder off as well as the head for him tin inspect. Just left Honda. Picked up two new plugs & ball joints. Won’t be long now!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

I dropped the cylinder off as well as the head for him tin inspect. Just left Honda. Picked up two new plugs & ball joints. Won’t be long now!!!

ya done yet ???..lol.

• Like 1

Well just about ready to do it... gonna make sure I read the book again, & see if there is a YouTube video.... fingers crossed. 

AF2819FE-3145-4EFA-B588-FA48F775D950.jpeg

1DFA8AC3-B410-4AB0-962D-1BCA5B962B09.jpeg

• Like 2