Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

Some MinuteMend , a new bolt , on  that same cover and Send It --- just go easy on the Honda Bond .....  

Funny how things work out.....

So I sent the pic of my broken side case to a buddy back east. He happens to be the one who ended up with my old built Honda 355bbk. He's actually sending my the side case from that old motor! It will be awesome to have a piece of that old bike on my new one! (yes I'm sentimental like that! haha!) I picked up a new bolt from the dealer the other day.. I'm hoping the have the case this week. I'll be ready for it when it arrives. 

Last week end was the first week end in a VERY LONG TIME that I went bush camping without my ATV!  

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 9:17 AM, Wheeler said:

What goes in this hole? Center of pic behind the clutch? It looks like something was there on my old case & the new to me case... I don’t ever remember removing anything from there! Can’t find anything in the manual..

0011E894-D4D5-4F63-8A83-5B9A1AB41A95.jpeg

image.jpg

you REALLY need to lay off the stupid pills, and READ the service manual !!!!, lol.

Got the case from my old quad yesterday. I forgot to order a new shifter seal prior so Honda has that on order & if I’m lucky I’ll have it today or tomorrow. She’s gonna need a good clean. Not far from getting back in the frame & run u g again now!! 

065A5758-D479-430D-9F1D-DA19EF960C08.jpeg

F2F4A6C5-21A3-4773-83D0-8157CFB9B463.jpeg

• Like 4

It may not look bad in the picture, but darn this case is dirty with build on stained dirt/mud/oil ect.. 

I started with the spray in the K&N recharge kit, then onto industrial citrus orange cleaner, now I have it in a giant pot boiling on the stove with pinesol. It's coming a lot cleaner, but think I'll have to get some oven cleaner as everyone says that's the best for getting engines nice & clean.

18 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Much better!!

267755C1-B312-453D-B27D-FCDBE1FF46FD.jpeg

3B6F3F53-C595-4025-B7FF-88CF77EDB364.jpeg

D3D09859-E46A-440F-B624-F38A7389D9E8.jpeg

looks good !, did the easy off oven cleaner work ?...good ole '' shake-n-bake ''..haha.

• Like 2

Ya shade it worked good. At first, I thought it didn’t. I treated it 3 times in the kitchen sink & rinsed with hot water. It was still dirty so outside with big bucket of Dawn dish soap & scrub brush. Dirt fell right off. I had “assumed” it would just do so with the oven cleaner. But now I know how to really shine my motor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Ya shade it worked good. At first, I thought it didn’t. I treated it 3 times in the kitchen sink & rinsed with hot water. It was still dirty so outside with big bucket of Dawn dish soap & scrub brush. Dirt fell right off. I had “assumed” it would just do so with the oven cleaner. But now I know how to really shine my motor. 

dont need hot water, just spray it on, let it sit for a few min's, come back with a soft brush ( tooth paste brush works great !..lol ) give it a good brushing to work the easy off in, presto...rinse off with water hose..and let-r-rip !..lol.

• Like 2

Just getting ready for the big day tomorrow! Shifter seal will be in at Honda, then I can install the side case, starter, cam/rockers & time. I'm ready to get this into the frame & up & running.. Only taken me 3 months! lol

Got the side case all cleaned up, going to get the engine all cleaned up. Have new swing arm boot to install, few odds & ends to finish up on the bike... I should be riding this week end when we go bush camping!

YUP I gotta get off the stupid pills... I can install the side case right now, & install the seal after it gets here... don't see why not....

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Almost ready to go back in the frame!!!

Yes shade I used “red silicone to seal the alternator rubber. There was none inside. I’ll have to seal up around the wires better after as well. 

Just an FYI. I regret using the copper coat spray on center case gasket. The cookies cleaned every thing up beautifully. That was the only gasket that got sprayed. All others just the gasket & torqued as per manual. 

9FC68FB4-06C1-4C8D-AC6D-A35CDA8677BF.jpeg

C214CD88-F9F3-400C-BD43-996F2B55E537.jpeg

• Like 1

Is there ging to be a coat of aluminum colored paint before going back into the frame ?? 

Just now, Fishfiles said:

Is there ging to be a coat of aluminum colored paint before going back into the frame ?? 

No... I'm not going to bother.. maybe one day.. but not this time around. More for function over shiny right now..

• Like 2

One quick coat and it is dry to the touch in 10 minutes -----  this is a older  pic , I am a little farther along ,   I got the stator changed and all the red powder coating out the starter gear housing  that was a job 

XmsMBgjNQTO1RYIyD7vH8w.jpg

• Like 1

Paranoid from the last time I put it together a tooth off. I triple checked it this time..

6D678AD2-F599-4257-A37A-0B569EEF7E4B.png

459604EC-F285-4AF5-897D-E69A0F77CB26.jpeg

759EA906-2497-44BC-97F1-74220E76C301.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Paranoid from the last time I put it together a tooth off. I triple checked it this time..

6D678AD2-F599-4257-A37A-0B569EEF7E4B.png

459604EC-F285-4AF5-897D-E69A0F77CB26.jpeg

759EA906-2497-44BC-97F1-74220E76C301.jpeg

timing is off a tad.

6 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@shadetree you think?? IF I go back a tooth she be off the other way...

Dont sweat it. I have yet to ever have one line up perfectly. And the angle of the camera can throw it off aswell.

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

Dont sweat it. I have yet to ever have one line up perfectly. And the angle of the camera can throw it off aswell.

then your doing something wrong !..lol. every engine build i have ever done in my years, every one of them lined up dead on !.

if a new cam chain was installed ? ( did not back read ! ), and your marks are where you think they should be ?, then this tells me the crank teeth are worn down.

No, the cam chain has about 100hrs on it...

Shade, you have me mental...

I've just rotated it like a dozen more times & looked at the cam gear.. IF (which I tried earlier) I go back a tooth, the cam lobe rolls more up putting me in a worse spot... I set it without the tensioner.. I'm not sure it's off at all like SlammedRanger said... I think it's good...

Edited by Wheeler

5 minutes ago, shadetree said:

then your doing something wrong !..lol. every engine build i have ever done in my years, every one of them lined up dead on !.

I guess maybe if you put brand new chain and cam gear and crank gear maybe it would be. But every single engine i have ever built. Including car engines there markings are a close but not exact deal. You put it the way its closest and call it a day. Done many many timing chains and timing belts on various engines for many years. Not one has ever been perfectly aligned.

• Like 1

Heck my quad has a lightened flywheel so when they did that they removed the timing mark. Werent even nice enough to put one back on. So i did the old stick the screw driver down the spark plug hole and find TDC. Took my center punch clicker pen thing and put a new one on the flywheel. Quad runs perfect. No lack of power thats for sure! LoL

16 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Heck my quad has a lightened flywheel so when they did that they removed the timing mark. Werent even nice enough to put one back on. So i did the old stick the screw driver down the spark plug hole and find TDC. Took my center punch clicker pen thing and put a new one on the flywheel. Quad runs perfect. No lack of power thats for sure! LoL

looked again at the pic with the T mark, the index looks like its on top of the T ?, where this is not where you put the index mark at, it should be sitting over the line !.