Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

Ok, I also noticed something... the dot was 180 out. I just removed the sprocket, put it correct & have reset everything... I'll take a picture again...

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

looked again at the pic with the T mark, the index looks like its on top of the T ?, where this is not where you put the index mark at, it should be sitting over the line !.

Yeah but you can also see threads in the right side of the hole and none in the left. So he is taking the picture at an angle.

Can’t get any better than that... has to be correct

4D6DC305-623D-4481-A312-7A945CDBAD61.jpeg

D7768EFE-DF8D-4A8D-9EC4-28BBA456BD06.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Can’t get any better than that... has to be correct

4D6DC305-623D-4481-A312-7A945CDBAD61.jpeg

D7768EFE-DF8D-4A8D-9EC4-28BBA456BD06.png

NOW THAT IS CORRECT !!!, YOU CAN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT BRO !, WELL DONE !.

5 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Yeah but you can also see threads in the right side of the hole and none in the left. So he is taking the picture at an angle.

NOPE, HE GOT IT CORRECT NOW !..LOL. i may forget alot of things ?, but the one thing i do know ?..is the timing marks must be dead on ?!!, if they are not ?, then something is not right !.

Hmm ive built alot of not right things then and never had a single issue out of any of them? I just always went with if its a tooth off its obveously not even close. Maybe its just a sport quad thing? None are ever perfection by any stretch. One side is always slightly higher either way you go. And if were splitting hairs your picture shows it also. Slightly higher at the rear. If it was even one tooth off it would be obveously not even close. Its not like were dealing with a million teeth on the gear here.

No seal arrived today... but got lil bit more complete. Everything went well. I opted to go back with the OEM cam chain tensioner though. 

A9A744AD-D68C-4BF0-8A02-806634BFC7A7.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

No seal arrived today... but got lil bit more complete. Everything went well. I opted to go back with the OEM cam chain tensioner though. 

A9A744AD-D68C-4BF0-8A02-806634BFC7A7.jpeg

ummm..may i ask what carb is hanging down in this pic ??..CUZ IT SURE AS HECK AINT A TRX300FW CARB !.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ummm..may i ask what carb is hanging down in this pic ??..CUZ IT SURE AS HECK AINT A TRX300FW CARB !.

Looks like a 300ex carb to me.

• Like 1

Yuppers. A 300ex carb, full 300ex FMF Exhaust. 

• Like 2

Man that took some digging in the old memory. Its been atleast 15 years since i had one of those in my hands lol

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Yuppers. A 300ex carb, full 300ex FMF Exhaust. 

is there a reason your running a trx300ex carb instead of the correct carb ?, i really dont think the trx300fw will run very well with that trx300ex carb..this will be interesting to see how this turns out !..lol.

Shade , I think Wheeler is running a 355 piston and sleeve with a Webb cam , if I am not mistaken ! 

• Like 1

Yep, lot of the 300 guys who build bigger machines use the 300EX carb with the big bore kits

• Like 1

Ya I’ve had this carb on here for I dunno 2-3 years now. Runs awesome! Better than an OEM 300 carb let me tell ya. 

@shadetree yes I have a 355bbk, 40B WebCamshaft, 300ex carb exhaust & everything else is modified on it as well.. just like Wilson said! Everything I own including my brand new Sthil BG56 Leaf Blower is modified! I can’t keep anything stock... True Story! 

Didn’t have a chance to work on the ole girl today. Busy planting 8 Cedar Trees in back yard & other stuff. Rain all day tomorrow, so good garage day!

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

Fingers crossed I didn’t miss anything. Just the air filter to clean, dry & reinstall. Then hit the starter & see what happens. Fluids all in in, valves set, plug is new, battery charged up, neutral light comes on & out when shifted. Everything seems great. I’ll post back a lil later & let y’all know how it goes. 

• Like 2

I’ll have to adjust the fuel screw once I can get out & drive it this week end. I think it may be off a bit. Sounds good to me. Throttle response was great. I did drop from a 40 pilot to a 38 then set the screw at 2.5 turns out to start. 

That’s set at .004 as per WebCam.  That actually sounds really good. All 300s ha e that lovely sound but with larger cams only the worse they sound...

• Like 1

@SlammedRanger u made me double check.. lol! I watched a video of the bike before.. & sounded the same. I will however double check the valve lash after I dump the oil & check everything after getting out this week end. 

Thats really weird. You ever pull the trigger on a 400ex and your world will be enlightened. Must be a 2 valve thing maybe? Cuz 400ex's sounds like a swiss watch compared to that. But i have always been told. A tappy valve is a happy valve. LoL

2 hours ago, Wheeler said:

That’s set at .004 as per WebCam.  That actually sounds really good. All 300s ha e that lovely sound but with larger cams only the worse they sound...

regardless of what you think ?, no..all 300's DO NOT sound like that..least not any i've built !..lol. that sounds bad..very bad !.

I just double checked the valve lash. Its bang on at .004 as per Cam specs. However I noticed the rockers slide on the dowels causing some of the tap tap we here. They were new hardened rockers & cam from Web with stiffer springs 4 years ago. I'll have to address that for sure..

But I know for a FACT anyone that I have met that runs a larger hardened cam & rockers from Web does have a noiser top end.

Got the front end all together & quad is ready to go. Loading up & heading to the bush camping for the week end... fingers crossed all goes well...

• Like 2