Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

Along with what @shadetree said, clean the cases since your there.  Brake kleen and lots of it.

Edited by F250 guy

12 hours ago, F250 guy said:

Along with what @shadetree said, clean the cases since your there.  Brake kleen and lots of it.

I've always used starter fluid.  It doesn't leave the residue that brake parts cleaner does.

That said, I've got my parts washer up and running now, so it's gonna be a whole new ballgame!

Wife always ! about the smell of starter fluid when I've been using it, and it does seem to cling to me even after washing my hands and then showering, even using Gojo or Lava.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 9:13 AM, jeepwm69 said:

I've always used starter fluid.  It doesn't leave the residue that brake parts cleaner does.

That said, I've got my parts washer up and running now, so it's gonna be a whole new ballgame!

Wife always ! about the smell of starter fluid when I've been using it, and it does seem to cling to me even after washing my hands and then showering, even using Gojo or Lava.

i use my parts washer all the time, i buy the fluid from tractor supply, a tad pricey for 5 gallons ?, but has a very high flash point, hardly no smell, and last a very long time before i have to replace it.

• Like 2

Yep, I love mine so far.  Going to have to get some gloves as my hands got dried out to the point of cracking enough to bleed a couple of weeks ago. 

Tore down a 500 motor this weekend and have been using it to get the innards cleaned up.  I put a filter on my pump to try to keep the fluid clean, but already have a ton of crap on the bottom of the tank.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, I love mine so far.  Going to have to get some gloves as my hands got dried out to the point of cracking enough to bleed a couple of weeks ago. 

Tore down a 500 motor this weekend and have been using it to get the innards cleaned up.  I put a filter on my pump to try to keep the fluid clean, but already have a ton of crap on the bottom of the tank.

what are you using for cleaning fluid ?, the stuff from tractor supply does dry my hands some ?, but not enough to crack my hands/skin.

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

what are you using for cleaning fluid ?, the stuff from tractor supply does dry my hands some ?, but not enough to crack my hands/skin.

I'm using the same stuff you are. 

I tend to really get into a job when I'm working on something.  LOL  When I first got it together I started putting every greasy tool in the shop in there and cleaning them.

5 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I'm using the same stuff you are. 

I tend to really get into a job when I'm working on something.  LOL  When I first got it together I started putting every greasy tool in the shop in there and cleaning them.

lol, mine is filthy !..lol, i need to clean it out soon, i got a 5 gal bucket, with pipes leading to it, installed a ball valve, just open, drain, clean, pour back in..lol

33 minutes ago, shadetree said:

lol, mine is filthy !..lol, i need to clean it out soon, i got a 5 gal bucket, with pipes leading to it, installed a ball valve, just open, drain, clean, pour back in..lol

I did the ball valve on mine as well, and moved the shelf to the bottom of the legs so I can store the empty cans underneath the tub, and bolted it all to a harbor freight furniture dolly so I can roll it around if need be.

You drain it into a bucket, then pour it back in through a filter or ?

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I did the ball valve on mine as well, and moved the shelf to the bottom of the legs so I can store the empty cans underneath the tub, and bolted it all to a harbor freight furniture dolly so I can roll it around if need be.

You drain it into a bucket, then pour it back in through a filter or ?

yep, pour it through coffee filters..lol.

• Thanks 1

Took longer to get at this project than expected... but finally got started today. I’ll have er on bench today!!!

Have the new BBK gaskets & rings... HL stopped making them like I said, so they weren't cheap to get them from the states with the current exchange rate!!!!

4B9E3D84-ABF8-468F-A2B3-BCF4D0D239A0.jpeg

DFF087E3-11CF-4CB1-AA46-50949419A43C.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Just the exhaust, front drive shaft, & motor mounts left I think... found a clip broke & wire melted up against exhaust. It was my remote wire for the winch that I mounted up front..

F17D5AA3-5F72-461C-B901-925AD6D21B49.jpeg

1D25A5AD-4625-487F-AFCF-FB15F4BB66AC.jpeg

EFFF46C4-C874-426B-B29A-5401E8604A30.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

She’s out. Ready for a clean, disassemble, have to remove front diff & tear apart to install new torq locker I’m gonna order as well. I’ll be a busy man!

FAB21971-02FE-472E-B7B7-FB37FA69D991.jpeg

64A9EE7F-19B8-4E74-AFE1-4F93BF3DB019.jpeg

D24BFA98-463B-4A91-88F6-F072D1A03CC2.jpeg

4CEE35F0-EE13-4DEA-A408-CF770EC68683.jpeg

19B19BFF-C584-4329-9BAF-219DAD9BF4F0.jpeg

• Like 4

Lets get ready to spend some $$$$$$

New 355BBK Cometic Gaskets Check.

New 355BBK Total Seal Rings Check.

New Torq Locker Check.

Ordering right away...

Wide Open 424 repair cable.

Complete engine gasket kit.

Complete oil seal kit.

DID Chain & Manual Adjuster.

1 way bearing.

New Plug, Oil & Filter.

New Uni-Filter.

That'll get me going until I tear into her....

What am I missing???

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Lets get ready to spend some $$$$$$

New 355BBK Cometic Gaskets Check.

New 355BBK Total Seal Rings Check.

Ordering right away...

Wide Open 424 repair cable.

Complete engine gasket kit.

Complete oil seal kit.

DID Chain & Manual Adjuster.

1 way bearing.

Torq Locker.

New Plug, Oil & Filter.

New Uni-Filter.

That'll get me going until I tear into her....

What am I missing???

why are you putting a manual cam chain adjuster in it ?, you dont need it !!!. i've never used them, never will, waste of money.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shadetree said:

why are you putting a manual cam chain adjuster in it ?, you dont need it !!!. i've never used them, never will, waste of money.

I agree. I actually still run the oem one from 05 in my quad. They honestly dont fail often. If you keep a good timing chain in it that isnt stretched your good to go.

• Like 1

I ran one before & had great luck with it.. you guys really think the OEM auto one better option???

I hear you need to stay up on the adjustment 

I went with the Total Seal gapless rings on my 450 w/ 500 sleeve and piston build , was recommended to Total Seals  by J+E Piston and kind of  wish I wouldn't have went with them now  ---- that is  just from what I heard , so far so good , been told they are racing rings and not for prolonged continuous use and won't last as long in a mud machine  , but that is coming from atv guys , so needs to be taken with a grain of salt , I did converse with Keith Jones from Total Seal via emails about it after the fact , said his team could have maybe hooked me up with something to better fit my build and usage  , maybe research them rings a bit and tell them what your plans are 

@Fishfiles I already contacted HL, got the part #s & have the new Total Seal Rings on my work bench. I've run this quad up to a good 8500rpm & she doesn't smoke at all! The rings have been in the quad since 2016. Fingers crossed they all good...

23 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

I ran one before & had great luck with it.. you guys really think the OEM auto one better option???

stay with oem bro, do not waste your cash on those auto adjusters !.

Heck if my oem one ever fails im just gunna drill and tap it and make it into my own manual one for free. But im still throwing the beat down on my original oem one and cant seem to break it! LoL

12 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Heck if my oem one ever fails im just gunna drill and tap it and make it into my own manual one for free. But im still throwing the beat down on my original oem one and cant seem to break it! LoL

i've never had any problems from my oem adjuster..ever !.

Just ordered a manual one that’s red... going for the bling... lol. 

couldn’t help myself....

9 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Just ordered a manual one that’s red... going for the bling... lol. 

couldn’t help myself....

and you will find out, it wont last..but oh well..live an learn they say..lol.

• Like 1

I would never put a manual cam chain adjuster on a Honda ATV unless it was a race only bike that receives maintenance after every event. Its easy to overtighten the chain using those manual adjusters and they require very frequent attention. Are you 100% sure of your decision?