Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

Not bad at all. But I’ll have to confirm shifter as the drum moved... gonna be a pain cleaning up the case. What’s everyone’s thoughts... new gasket & touch of Honda bond or just straight up gasket?

671351B0-61D2-48EB-9483-67AC3B6D800E.jpeg

5ED93C17-4E31-4F64-8075-5CEB8D417868.jpeg

C50344D3-72ED-42F7-B4CE-77ECA948AB31.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

Well just about ready to do it... gonna make sure I read the book again, & see if there is a YouTube video.... fingers crossed. 

AF2819FE-3145-4EFA-B588-FA48F775D950.jpeg

1DFA8AC3-B410-4AB0-962D-1BCA5B962B09.jpeg

you splitting the cases ?, before they come apart, you need to remove the cup off the end of the shift drum. DONT FORGET TO LAY THE ENGINE DOWN WITH THE OUTPUT SHAFT ON THE BOTTOM !.

• Like 1

Got the bearings out, now trying to remove the old gasket. Have gasket remover soaking in round 2 lol. 

405A7BC8-FC52-42F8-AEB6-A1461AC87CBF.jpeg

I used walnut shell in my sandblaster. Worked perfect! The surfaces came out smooth as glass. I have heard you can soak the whole thing is mineral spirits.

• Like 1

Got it all off. Soaked case with citrus cleaner, then put er thru dishwasher lol. Lil bit of brake kleen, & she’s good to go!

592241ED-3F34-420F-9C35-5550C4420332.jpeg

67F91C15-8756-4A6A-8044-88C3A0B2D760.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 4

@shadetree the lil cup off the shift drum, is there a certain gear the tranny should be in while re-installing?? Trying to remove it I had it click 3 times until I figured out to hold the shifter up hard while removing g the bolt. 

If its anything like a 400ex. Neutral will be the easiest to get the shift forks in place. There is no specific gear it has to be in. Some will make the shift forks near impossible to get into place though!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

@shadetree the lil cup off the shift drum, is there a certain gear the tranny should be in while re-installing?? Trying to remove it I had it click 3 times until I figured out to hold the shifter up hard while removing g the bolt. 

it does not need to be in any certain gear when taking apart, or going back together, what you must make sure of , is getting all 3 shift forks in the right spot ?, and the tangs on the shift forks in the correct grooves on the shift drum ?. the shift forks have letters on them, they must face up when installing them !. and they must be in the correct spot on the shift drum, service manual shows you this. another word of caution !!: that cup and part that bolts to the shift drum has those two small pins that i warned you not to lose ?, all of these parts must go back on the end of the shift drum facing the correct direction !.

@shadetree that is exactly what I’m talking about. The little cup with two pins. It doesn’t matter what gear it’s in when I put that back on? I never had any gears apart or moved. Just while trying to take the cup off it kept clicking until I pulled up on the shifter & held it there to remove the bolt holding the cup on...

6 hours ago, Wheeler said:

@shadetree that is exactly what I’m talking about. The little cup with two pins. It doesn’t matter what gear it’s in when I put that back on? I never had any gears apart or moved. Just while trying to take the cup off it kept clicking until I pulled up on the shifter & held it there to remove the bolt holding the cup on...

pins in first, smallest end facing up, the flat part that slides down on the pins, the tail of this should point to the right when facing the cup, then line up the cup as you see in these pics i am posting, the cup has holes in the bottom, they sit down on top of the small ends of the pins sticking through the plate with the tail facing to the right. then the reverse lever as you see in the pic has the long end sitting under the plate tail. AND WHY AREN'T YOU READING THIS INFO FROM YOUR SERVICE MANUAL ?????..LOL.

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Case clean & bearings in. Working on getting the “engine” section cleaned up. I’ll have the case installed today before I take off for a week at work...hopefully I get the call to go pick up the cylinder & head before I leave. 

B9F0E962-BC59-4355-8AEE-088F3102F5FA.jpeg

B73A029B-27D9-43F1-A1A1-1CD406E92ECB.jpeg

687690F9-59E3-4C6C-86A0-2C141B356F32.jpeg

• Like 1

@shadetree look right? I’m about ready to put the case back on... I’m pretty sure it’s good... just really don’t want to take it back apart!! I e read the service manual. Like I say, just didn’t understand what I did when trying to remove the cup. It kept turning until I held the shifter up. 

Thanks in advance... 

2A5C613C-AF25-4E0A-B0C8-D09E0FCB6FCD.jpeg

2F21DECF-279C-4431-B68E-8AE10B4731A2.jpeg

C43A2180-74EB-4DFC-9FA2-D4EBD12D7482.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 2

Ok, so I'm really  nervous about this re-install.... I re-read Shades post, & made sure I re-read the manual. I NEVER removed the shift drum or forks, so they are in the same groove they were in when I removed the side cover... SO from what I gather I "should" be good to re-install the case??!! 

The reverse shift lever was not on when I removed the cup.. so that's why I'm nervous.... just never done this before & this ins't the time for a learning lesson by making a mistake... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Ok, so I'm really  nervous about this re-install.... I re-read Shades post, & made sure I re-read the manual. I NEVER removed the shift drum or forks, so they are in the same groove they were in when I removed the side cover... SO from what I gather I "should" be good to re-install the case??!! 

The reverse shift lever was not on when I removed the cup.. so that's why I'm nervous.... just never done this before & this ins't the time for a learning lesson by making a mistake... 

ok, first pull those pins back out of the end of the shift drum !!, you do not want them falling out, down into the engine when you go to put the cases together ??!. install them AFTER you get the cases back together !. but yes, thats how they go in the shift drum.

• Thanks 1

Thank u shade! I will get the case on next week when I get home. I waited for it response. Appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Wheeler said:

Thank u shade! I will get the case on next week when I get home. I waited for it response. Appreciate it!

yvw bro !!, glad to help ya !! :-).

I’ve been way to busy, but I HAVE to get er together!! Lol. 

super clean, light Honda Bond & gasket. 7ft/lbs here we go. Light blue loctite as well.. 

A0F15C5D-B8CF-40A2-B52C-A6F2D38511A7.jpeg

9C9B9BA3-9791-4788-A2DF-384F6E903A5E.jpeg

90DF9DAA-1692-4F5F-845D-53A417B21483.jpeg

• Like 2

Any suggestions for removing all the carbon off piston? It’s been a battle. 

so far iced tried the following with a little success...

brake clean
acetone 

seafoam

gas

gasket remover

plastic putty knife

green scrub thing (scotch brite) from kitchen. It started to scratch so I stopped immediately. 

Wife had no oven cleaner...

nvm.. all good. YouTube.. lol. 

Scotch Brite & WD40. Bit more work & she be like new. 

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

did you use hondabond on top of the case gasket ?????. if ya did ?, thats a no no !.

13 minutes ago, shadetree said:

did you use hondabond on top of the case gasket ?????. if ya did ?, thats a no no !.

Yes I did. For two reasons..

1 - The cases had couple small deeper scratches in them from trying to remove the old gasket. 

2 - I had done the same thing on the clutch cover over a year ago for security without any issues. 

I do understand the theory of why not to use both, but for security, I did....

Edited by Wheeler

1 minute ago, Wheeler said:

Yes I did. For two reasons..

1 - The cases had couple small deeper scratches in case. 

2 - I had done the same thing on the clutch cover over a year ago for security without any issues. 

I do understand the theory of why not to use both, but for security, I did....

ok, well..i just hope all your internal parts get tight enough between the cases ??!!..lol.

for the record, clutch cover, and cases are TWO different area's !!!..lol, but what ever..i hope its ok 4 ya !.