Wheeler

Splitting Cases... Literally!

Shade, I only put a super light coat on. I feel very confident everything will be ok. I greatly appreciate your input though! Please always continue to do so!! 

All the Honda Bond that is squeezed out and the outside , is squeeze out on the inside also , then it breaks off and winds up in the engine 

fullsizeoutput_ba6.jpeg

• Like 2

I see a bunch of Hondabond squeezed out between the cases. I'd take that back apart and remove all of the excess. You only need a thin film spread with your finger to seal it up. Your oil pump pickup screen will be plugging up right away.

• Like 1

Like I say, I went light... fingers crossed. Guess I really never thought of it that way... too late now. 

Nope, its gotta come back apart. WAYyyy too much Hondabond there.... you'll ruin your motor fast.

• Like 1

I just looked really hard & she’s staying together.... very I mean very little inside. 

that’s pic is in back by kick start. Other two are the bottom. All u see is green gasket. I did use I’m finger & go light. I’m 100% confident. If u guys prove me wrong & I blow motor, she gets a 380bbk. 

B55369EE-12B3-4069-AEB7-6376DA68EFC3.png

C26E678D-51FF-45FB-A315-744B8AE7F5EA.jpeg

A325E15A-ED48-4FA8-8190-E38892D3A909.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

LEANER is MEANER!!!!!!

Practice what ya preach! LOL

• Haha 1

That’s about as clean as I can get it. Top  end going together...

359618C9-033A-43A1-AEC7-6370B2DBD5CC.jpeg

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1

I agree with everyone else here. If your worried about a few gouges i would spray the gasket on both sides with copper spray. Never use anything that takes up extra space. The gasket in this case serves a purpose of a spacer just as much as a seal. Im keeping my fingers crossed everything works out bud! I use the 3m round red pads on a drill. The red cleans it up real well and polishes it more than scratching it.

• Like 1

Lesson learned! 

However I’m a pretty big risk taker!  I’ve evaluated the situation in depth, & gonna take the risk! But if there is ever a next time, I’ll be sure to do things different. I’ll be sure to take a picture of the screen prior to assembly, & if/when I ever pull the clutch cover off again, I will compare & post the pictures. 

Everything going together nice. All torqued up without any issues. I’ll only have a bit more time tonight at er, then do what I can tomorrow. 

E422E70A-3A68-4EE7-AF1A-B5DCF366751C.jpeg

C27299A9-62B4-4E1F-B71B-2A186BFF6705.jpeg

D976FF61-AB9D-4A88-8746-6A589EADF757.jpeg

7F903718-FC92-43EF-9285-258A5316D576.jpeg

• Like 1

Guess this is a sign boyz......!!!!! 

cleaning up the work bench as I was done for the nite.... this is what I found..... & this is where I’m now at..... how ironic......I just posted how well it all went.... 

funny thing.. ordered two sets of gaskets just in case.. only one set of rings ffs

brutal...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Wheeler

Just now, SlammedRanger said:

Man that sucks! You dont use a ring compressor?

No, always used my fingers... but this is a first...

I use a ring compressor pop the piston down in the hole. Slide it out the bottom enough to slip the wrist pin in and clip in and then slide the cylinder down on it. Gotta be very careful not to drop the C clip. I usually stuff alot of blue rags down the hole and wrap a shirt around the rod tight so it will fall to the floor before it goes in the cases.

• Like 1

Can u use a ring compressor when piston is still on the rod? I never took mine off... as there was zero play up & down... I’ll have to get one.. be few weeks now before I get new rings from Total Seal...

Nope. Ring compressor will have no way to come off. You have to install it on the piston. Compress the rings. Slide it down in. I usually use the wood end of a hammer to tap it through. Never broke a ring on anything. I got real tired of pinching my finger tips lol. Works perfect though! This custom piston on my 400 was kinda a pain though. The wrist pin was so close to the ring land it was super close to sliding out on me. I was just able to slide the wrist pin in without rings popping out on me.

13 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Nope. Ring compressor will have no way to come off. You have to install it on the piston. Compress the rings. Slide it down in. I usually use the wood end of a hammer to tap it through. Never broke a ring on anything. I got real tired of pinching my finger tips lol. Works perfect though! This custom piston on my 400 was kinda a pain though. The wrist pin was so close to the ring land it was super close to sliding out on me. I was just able to slide the wrist pin in without rings popping out on me.

i've done tons of piston rings to cylinder, and not once have i ever used a ring compressor to install pistons into cylinders. all it takes is a good set of small fingers, or long finger nails, or a small flat blade screw driver. maybe sport atv engines are different ?..lol.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Wheeler said:

Guess this is a sign boyz......!!!!! 

cleaning up the work bench as I was done for the nite.... this is what I found..... & this is where I’m now at..... how ironic......I just posted how well it all went.... 

funny thing.. ordered two sets of gaskets just in case.. only one set of rings ffs

brutal...

image.jpg

image.jpg

how the heck did you get the cylinder/head on..and not catch this broken ring ?, thats either the top ring or second ring, and they go into the cylinder first, soooo..how in the world did you get all that together, and miss it ????.

Yes I know shade..seems strange, but I never heard it break, seen it break ect. NO IDEA how I didn’t notice & got it together. It was the second ring. Just glad I found it!

44 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i've done tons of piston rings to cylinder, and not once have i ever used a ring compressor to install pistons into cylinders. all it takes is a good set of small fingers, or long finger nails, or a small flat blade screw driver. maybe sport atv engines are different ?..lol.

No i cant imagine they are any different. I did them that way for a while. Never had any issue doing them that way besides pinched finger tips. Then last winter when me and my brother rebuilt his LS1 i learned the glory of the ring compressor. I did one by hand. Said wait i gotta do 7 more? Screw that! Ring compressor made the job easy as pie. Havent looked back since.

54 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

No i cant imagine they are any different. I did them that way for a while. Never had any issue doing them that way besides pinched finger tips. Then last winter when me and my brother rebuilt his LS1 i learned the glory of the ring compressor. I did one by hand. Said wait i gotta do 7 more? Screw that! Ring compressor made the job easy as pie. Havent looked back since.

doing auto engines is a big difference from atv engines !..lol. i could see using a ring compressor. but for one piston ?..nah..lol.

5 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

I have a set of ring compressors for motorcycles and such , where the compressor clamp can be removed after the piston is slide into the jug image.png

I don't ever use them 

• Like 1

Being you don’t have the Engine  back together yet.  I would split it again and get the Honda bond off. That screen I pictured above was out of my 300 that Dicks cycles rebuilt.  There was no where near the amount of Honda bond sticking out the case as compared to yours and you can see what happened.  Yours is a lot of Honda bond outing out.  The same amount or more is in the inside.   Mine was running hot.  Most likely from lack of oil.  Seems you are putting money into this build. Burning up the money to me isn’t as bad as having to do it again. 

• Like 1

I’ll have er back apart this am, calling Honda to see if they can order me in the one gasket in lieu of another $65 gasket set. I’ll be calling Total Seal as well. I will pick up some 3M red pads & copper spray today as too.

I hate learning at a cost... never fails...

any other tips, suggestions or things I should know or do on putting er back together?

Thanks to all, for your advice & knowledge.  

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 3