digler

2011 Honda Rancher 420 reverse Safety button not working

Hi all. 
I have a 2011 Honda 420 rancher that you don't need to press the reverse safety button to engage the bike into reverse. I know some people like to do the mod to disable this but I need it to work on my bike. 
So far I have disconnected the cable that controls the reverse stopper shaft to eliminate the cable as the problem and it still engages. I am starting to think that this problem is internal but before I open up the engine I wanted to see if I am missing something here. If I put pressure (a Wrench) on the cable lever on the rear crankcase I can keep it from engaging without using the reverse button.

Sounds like the previous owner adjusted the cable at the back of the motor,or up on the bar.

Follow the cable down to the back side of the motor and inspect the reverse lock lever. Possibly a stick got jammed in there holding the lever open.  You should be able to move that lever with some force (spring loaded). 

Hi @digler, welcome to ATVHonda!

With the cable disconnected from the reverse stopper lever, can you feel spring pressure returning the lever when turning the shaft with a wrench? If not the return spring may have broken.

reverse-stopper.png

• Like 1

Yes I can feel pressure. It Springs back to return position but just not far enough to engage reverse safety.  If I put tension in the down position it will engage the reverse safety. It seems to be out by a few mils from engaging in the rear crankcase. Wouldn't have anything to do with the clutch adjustment would it?? 

No, nothing to do with the clutch adjustment. It sounds like the lever on the end of the stopper shaft  is not bottoming out in the groove in the shift drum. The lever inside on the end of the shaft might be bent or something. You might have to remove the cover to find out whats wrong with it.

Okay.  Thanks for your help.  Looks like you need to pull the engine to get to the reverse stopper.  Is that the easiest way

It is for me cause I'm a gimpy old fart. Your milage may vary though. 🙂

On 2/10/2020 at 10:23 PM, digler said:

Okay.  Thanks for your help.  Looks like you need to pull the engine to get to the reverse stopper.  Is that the easiest way

no, you do not need to pull the whole engine to get to the reverse lever. you can just remove the rear engine cover ( drain the oil or raise the back up kinda high ), then you can see whats going on.

• Like 1