rhill

07 Honda Rancher L brake boot repair?

Hey guys so I need some help on a repair. Have not ever done much major repair work as I am not super mechanical but im thinking this shouldn't be too hard hopefully. I have a 07 rancher 420 4x4 manual ! and my dog chewed up the boot that covers where the brake wires (i think ) come into the left handle bar. Ive linked the part below. I can't seem to figure out how to take this apart to replace the boot and im a little worried about screwing with the brakes too much because having a limited knowledge and messing the brakes up could turn out bad. Has anyone replaced this and can give me some insight or have a video of how to break it down and put it back together? Thanks for any help

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/53177-HN5-M40

• Like 1

i see you found us ?, you should post in new member area , so we know more about ya. as for the boot repalcement ?, you will need to remove the brake cable, reverse cable from the levers, then slide them out of the rubber boot. you may find it easier to do this by unhooking these from the rear brake panel, as well as the revers lever at back, lower engine. once these are unhooked ?, it will be easier to pull the cables out of the boot at the bars .

• Like 1

I would just remove the brake pivot bolt and you can then move the levers enough to slide the cables off. Then it's just slide the cables out of the bracket and replace the boot.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I would just remove the brake pivot bolt and you can then move the levers enough to slide the cables off. Then it's just slide the cables out of the bracket and replace the boot.

he still has to get the revers lever undone, or he can't get enough slack in the cable. some of those bolts that hold the levers on the bars right there are tricky !..lol. he knows nothing of atv mech stuff from what hes saying. perhaps your way for him would be easier ?, do not know ?.

There should be plenty of room to slide the cable off of the lever once it's rotated. It should be easier than trying to remove it from the rear of the motor to get enough slack in the cable. The only thing tricky would be the return spring for the brake lever if it's not broke already. A picture of that before removal should help put it back together though.

• Like 1

OP, try doing what deep says ^^^, just remove the lever bolt from the parking brake/reverse lever, as well as the brake lever, unhook the cables from both levers, pull them through the torn boot, reverse order to put back together, pretty simple process.

alittle wd-40, or whatever ya got handy for lube ?, spray it just inside the old and new boot, will make it easier to get the cables out, and back in the new boot.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:39 PM, shadetree said:

alittle wd-40, or whatever ya got handy for lube ?, spray it just inside the old and new boot, will make it easier to get the cables out, and back in the new boot.

Motion pro makes a cable lube tool I'm pretty sure. Don't quote me.

10 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Motion pro makes a cable lube tool I'm pretty sure. Don't quote me.

That was for lubing the protective cover to slip the cable end through. Cables for the newer machines are so cheap there isn't any point on trying to lube them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toodeep said:

That was for lubing the protective cover to slip the cable end through. Cables for the newer machines are so cheap there isn't any point on trying to lube them. 

Just a thought 😁

1 hour ago, F250 guy said:

Just a thought 😁

I know,  just an explanation.... We all work together. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, toodeep said:

I know,  just an explanation.... We all work together. 

A heat gun wouldn't work cause it's burn the rubber. My thought was if ya heat the smaller end a little it'll help expand it, I hope he doesn't have to tear the new boot getting it on. Yea those are a pain idk how the factory got them on, had to do mine years ago and I'll have to do it again, park reverse lever boot.

Edited by F250 guy