Orville538

2008 Honda TXR700XX

Today someone traded me this 700XX  for this Kymco 300.... I will need to do some work as far as the guy told me.... is fuel injected motor and Supposedly a rare bike!!! IDK You guys help me out here.... maybe I made a mistake?  Or did I get something nice? I fear is the piston low compression as that indicates bad rings!!!!

20200213_142731.jpg

20200213_142750.jpg

20200213_142742.jpg

received_508266429833067.jpeg

7 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Thats a really good deal! Chinese quad for a japanese quad. Or atleast i think kymco is chinese?

Believe or not is Japanese Kymco and Polaris are same maker!!! Look it up!!!!

Depending on what the XX needs you probably got a good deal. The 700xx was only produced for 2 years so they are not that common. @Akunin has one and can give the goods and bads about them better than me (I haven't even rode one yet).

Kymco is a Taiwan company isn't it? An old company but newish in the states. 

• Like 1

Just now, toodeep said:

Depending on what the XX needs you probably got a good deal. The 700xx was only produced for 2 years so they are not that common. @Akunin has one and can give the goods and bads about them better than me (I haven't even rode one yet).

Kymco is a Taiwan company isn't it? An old company but newish in the states. 

Yes Taiwan you're right!!!!

M-Quick knows these things inside and out so hopefully he pops on here or possibly PM him. 

For me personally though I would have jumped on that trade. I'm very impressed with the xx and I consider it the best quad I've ever owned. Looks like its had its share of upgrades and it looks to be in overall good shape.. my only concern would be .. did you get a clean title or a bill of sale with verified identification? With trades I'm always leery about them. Being stolen. But if that's good to go I say.. ! good trade!

If your use to riding a solid rear this thing will surprise you in the corners. It hooks like none other so be prepared if your expecting to spin cookies or whip the back end like a raptor. The independent rear grabs and wants to go straight. If it's a concern look into getting a different sway bar. Independent rears are amazing in rough terrain. 

That said if you into jumping this again is another difference from a solid rear.. you can come off a jump and land on one wheel with the IRS vs never wanting to on a solid rear. 

Just a few things off the top of my head but it's a Honda and lives up to its reputation.  Tear into those rings and enjoy it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Akunin said:

M-Quick knows these things inside and out so hopefully he pops on here or possibly PM him. 

For me personally though I would have jumped on that trade. I'm very impressed with the xx and I consider it the best quad I've ever owned. Looks like its had its share of upgrades and it looks to be in overall good shape.. my only concern would be .. did you get a clean title or a bill of sale with verified identification? With trades I'm always leery about them. Being stolen. But if that's good to go I say.. ! good trade!

If your use to riding a solid rear this thing will surprise you in the corners. It hooks like none other so be prepared if your expecting to spin cookies or whip the back end like a raptor. The independent rear grabs and wants to go straight. If it's a concern look into getting a different sway bar. Independent rears are amazing in rough terrain. 

That said if you into jumping this again is another difference from a solid rear.. you can come off a jump and land on one wheel with the IRS vs never wanting to on a solid rear. 

Just a few things off the top of my head but it's a Honda and lives up to its reputation.  Tear into those rings and enjoy it!!

Akunin yes the guy is an Appliance store owner and his son is a state trooper so the vin is clean and I have a bill of sale....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orville538 said:

Akunin yes the guy is an Appliance store owner and his son is a state trooper so the vin is clean and I have a bill of sale....

Nice! Got your bases covered, smart!

On 2/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, Akunin said:

Nice! Got your bases covered, smart!

Yeah have to do it like that because to many atvs stolen.... anyway I opened the engine heads and this is what I found....is this cylinder salvageable? Also one valve broke exhaust valve,and I emptied the rest of the oil from the crankcase and I saw the valve and peices of the piston on the bottom I was thinking about taking off the engine and flipping it up side down and shaking it maybe hose off all crap out of there or is there a better way? Because that would be splitting cases correct? Slammed/Fish/anyone else that could help out please!!!! I knew there was something wrong with it but not this!!!! 😱🙈🙉🙊🧐

20200218_165428.jpg

20200218_172418.jpg

20200218_172147.jpg

20200218_172143.jpg

20200218_172139.jpg

20200218_172015.jpg

15820671009622281687422150313967.jpg

Holy catastropic failure batman! That thing went full on hand full of bolts into a garbage disposal! I hate to say it bud but you are gunna 100% be splitting cases on this one. The shrapnal is going to be impressive. And alittle depressing. But in the end it will run long like a honda should. Im gunna bet someone didnt do any maintainance like alot of atv owners are guilty of.

As for the cylinder being useable i would take it to a competent engine machine shop and see what they say. They can measure the damage and see if it egg shaped. If its too far gone they will tell you. If it can be bored out and saved they will tell you also. The pictures dont look good IMO for being able to save it. How bad is the cylinder head? If it dropped a valve the cylinder head combustion chamber can get really messed up bad.

• Like 3

Or mr ebay has some interesting offers but no complete engines that I can find at the moment if that was something you might look into.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-TRX-700XX-CP-Piston-Cylinder-710cc-Big-Hot-Rods-Stroker-Motor-Rebuild-Kit/193254059145?fits=Model%3ATRX700XX&hash=item2cfed6ec89:g:4REAAOSwzkRd8rlW

Edited by Akunin

Just my .02

But if it were me I'd rebuild. The frame and the rest look to be in great shape. For more specific 700xx info try club700xx.com and see if anyone has parts or more model specific instructions. 

But like Slammed said, split cases for sure. Can't have any of those metal bits getting anywhere else either. Things like these is why I'll check my valves 2 or 3 times a riding season, a little preventative maintenance goes a long ways.

• Like 1

Any progress? I'd like to hear your plans or see the progress

1 hour ago, Akunin said:

Any progress? I'd like to hear your plans or see the progress

I've already ordered, rear rims,got an OEM one but someone gave me a good price on a set but they're 10" also I bought the case splitter and case puller,and I also bought the rear hubs,the ones on it,Man look at this!!!! Also those nuts and bolts are what he used to tighten the rims that were on it,after I open up the cases then I'll go from there....but I'll keep you posted, Thanks for Asking @Akunin

received_662324231170433.jpeg

received_2473537649563159.jpeg

received_2764198226994800.jpeg

received_855713068259294.jpeg

Im gunna go out on a limb and say you saved this quad from the scrap heap! I can do nothing but shake my head when i see things like this. That poor quad. It didnt do anything to deserve all this.

1 hour ago, SlammedRanger said:

Im gunna go out on a limb and say you saved this quad from the scrap heap! I can do nothing but shake my head when i see things like this. That poor quad. It didnt do anything to deserve all this.

you can't fix stupid !!..lol.

7 hours ago, SlammedRanger said:

Dude!!! No bs I think the same  I'm like why ? Why treat something this nice like scrap?since I was a kid I always wanted one,and always asked myself why some people who have ATV's just wreck them and let them go to scrap? But I will do my best to restore it little by little... here in Florida I've seen some crazy work on quads....and I mean hacked up work...no atv deserves to end up like this unless it's totalled from a crash.... I also bought a wire harness for it too...the one on it is rigged with tape 

Don't take this wrong but what a fun project! If that XX could talk I'm sure it would be grateful saving it from stupid. 

Please share! I for one want to see this as it progresses