Fishfiles

Honda TRX300FM 1992 1st gen

This build had been going on for a long time now , the work and upgrades have kind of been in phases , with a lot of riding in between , here is a list of what has been done to it so far :

1992 TRX300FM Southern Blue , Wiseco 10.5 piston , Big Red cam , sprocket and timing chain , 1988 exhaust pipe ( u-shaped ) with after market muffler , 54% reduction , EBC clutch kit ,  snorkeled , disc brake conversion in front , 250 master cylinder ( bigger reservoir ) , shims added to front diff , 250 rear axle , 250 drive shaft , 3 inch swing arm extension , rear brake delete , hub paddles , wheel spacers front and rear , longer lug studs in rear , Savant floor boards , foot shift / hand shift lever , 1000w /4 pod sound system with MP3 in a Pelican water proof box , SuperWinch , custom winch plate and fairlead , stick stoppers , ITP aluminum slots with 27 Outlaws , LED lights in front fender and bar on rack , custom cooler and fan  , fenders raised 1+1/2"s,  running marine grease/Lucas Hub Oil mix  in front and rear diffs and  transfer case , axle and drive shaft tubes are straight marine grease  , a few other mods 

The latest mod I am about to do is a spacer.png 424 4wd kick-out ( old school /built for the 1st generation 300 / not a 2nd gen modification ) , this is a great mod as far as I am concerned , I have 3 300s and 2 450s that already have this mod and love it , my wife would have a hard time without it on her 300 ---------  I was hoping to have installed the 424 this weekend past , but too many things going on , so maybe this week I will get it in 

In prep to install this 424 , which was used but in good condition , I upgraded the cable and shift knob to a 2nd gen 424 design which uses two bigger detent balls instead of one smaller detent ball which was worn out of round and not allowing a smooth and consistant lock out , it is smooth and solid now spacer.png

IMG_9072.JPG

IMG_9093.JPG

IMG_9098.JPG

Cool find on the 424, don’t see them come up for sale often, someday I’ll find a NOS one to put next to my 2nd gen 424 still in the box haha. 

300 looks good too

Edited by Mac102004
  • Like 1

Thanks Mac —— LBZ found that 424 for me. That is a hard thing to find. A lot of thanks to LB.   Here is a pic of the Warn 424 1st gen with a 2nd gen Wide Open cable and knob attached to it. 

FA998CDD-380D-48DC-8B79-E93E9413746A.jpeg

• Like 2

It's funny, I've had 2 Warn 424's and neither of them have ever made it into a 300. I've actually never ran one myself.

• Like 1

Around spring time I'll be looking to get myself a 424. I should actually get myself a set of red plastics; mine are trashed.

• Like 1

M'C , I think I would go 424 before new fenders , mechanical before cosmetic ---  LOL 

Mac ,  I think if you tried it , you would like it   ----- 

I was hoping to start installing it this evening , but coming down with a cold or something and feeling lousy , never remember so many bad things happening in the same week 

My sister in law passed away Saturday , she was 61 and 3 months older than me , she had cancer , she was in MD Anderson in Houston for the last 7 weeks  , she got sick and they found out she had cancer  in February , she was on chemo and radiation , she  had a seizure last Wednesday , went into a coma and was on life support , she had brain surgery for a tumor on her brain ,  they turned off the machines on Saturday and she passed right after wards ----- my father in law is 91 and has dementia , has been doing some of the craziest things lately , the wife is freaking out , he doesn't want to live with anyone , but I can't see him staying in his house by himself any more , he has become dangerous to himself ----- my buddy was over by the house Saturday watching LSU football , he tripped in the grass  and hit the ground hard on his stomach , which is a big stomach , he was hurting so we rushed him to the hospital , after a cat scan they sent him hot shot ambulance to New Orleans Trauma Center , his bladder ruptured , 1 1/2 hour emergency surgery , 36 hours  in intensive care , and he might get out the hospital tomorrow , they say he will have to take it easy for about 3-4 weeks , we ride 4 wheelers in extreme conditions just about every weekend and he gets hurt going to take a pee on side the shed 

• Sad 1

Fish I never knew about the difference in the cables. Wonder if that was something that wide open changed?

LBZ , thanks again for locating and securing the deal on this rare Warn 300 1st gen 424 ----- I have learned that there at least 3 different cable /shifter set up used over the years and manufacturers and you can use any of the three set up as long as you use the cable and shifter as a set , you can't mix the cable and knobs parts as every thing is different ------- this is the 6th 424 I have and the only one that has that style of shifter /cable , I would guess Wide Open made the change , 4 of my 6 were purchased used , 2 from wide Open new , so I don't really know 

The hand shift lever has been great and I really like it ---------   I had the reverse lock out rigged up where you had to pull the left brake lever , but not have to push the button , with the hand lever it was an awkward move , so I adjusted the cable so reverse lock out  is by-passed all the way  

Need to get that 424 installed , been lazy when it comes to working on 4 wheelers lately 

ROJ%riTERgucYq%cMumj3A.jpg

• Like 1

we used to call those suicide shifts, like they used to put on some of the old time Harley's. 

• Like 1

I remember when  was a kid our neighbor Mr Bugs had a Indian motorcycle that had a suicide shift  and I can see him in my mind pulling that handle with one hand on the handle bars and now that I think about it , the clutch lever must have been on the right side , cause he shifted with his left hand 

The clutch lever is for starting and stopping.. lol  I rode a blaster with the clutch on the right side. Trying to get your mind to release the clutch and throttle is something else. It was my cousins though and he list his left arm in a wood splitter so mods was done. 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I remember when  was a kid our neighbor Mr Bugs had a Indian motorcycle that had a suicide shift  and I can see him in my mind pulling that handle with one hand on the handle bars and now that I think about it , the clutch lever must have been on the right side , cause he shifted with his left hand 

The clutch would have been on the left along with the shifter, they called them suicide shifters cause you had to take your one hand off the throttle and your eyes off the road to see the shifter, shift gears, and grab the throttle without running into anything and keeping the bike upright.....lol

TBRider , that would really make shifting dangerous ------- suicide shifter and a clutch is like a cup of coffee 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

TBRider , that would really make shifting dangerous ------- suicide shifter and a clutch is like a cup of coffee 

omg...lol..too dang funny !!, musta been decaf ?..lol.

• Like 1

that is one seriously ! off animal. Almost as good as a horse Dad used to have that would drink beer.

• Like 1

Got home early , washed the dirt off the 300 from the weekend  and backed it under the shed for a 424 transplant , came inside , about to eat a late lunch and seeing that bad weather is suppose to hit at 4:00 here , they say severe thunder storms and possible tornados , might go start tearing it apart , so it will be in my way for future projects and make me want to finish ---- I am getting lazy as far as working on them goes , this 424 would have been installed the day I got it a couple of years ago , now days >>>>  it is what it is = IIWII ( my new abbreviation )  -----  <*{{<<<<< 

I've been catching a little bit of the weather on the news. Sounds like there's a big area with chances of severe stuff with some tornadoes already on the ground. Stay safe.

• Like 1

Wow TooDeep , you heard about it all the way in SD and I have not seen the latest news yet , they said 4:00 and it is that now , must be the calm before the storm as it is dead calm right now -----

didn't work on the blue 300 this evening , I ate a big plate of left overs , got tired and started watching the Saints pregame , tonight the Saints need a win against Indy 

I did work on it a bit before it got dark , got it jacked up , took off the front wheels  ,  took off the hub/ rotors , calipers , steering bars , nuts off the ball joints ---- then went digging for parts 

Pivot Works wheel bearings are kind of loose , might as well put a new set that  I got in and send the old ones for in  replacement  , this will be the first set of Pivot Works that I am changing and going for the warranty , heard you'll talking about AllBalls owning Pivot Works  , so I guess they will replace it with All Balls in a Pivot Works package , and hope they give the seals with the warranty , anyone know if the seals come with a warranty 

Brake pads really low on pads , got a set of SuperATV pads already

on  one side the ball joints are tight as in turning , feels like they just need some grease  , I have new ones in stock if needed 

one tie rod end is loose , got a new one of them , had changed one not long ago in the woods 

cv boots look good , seals in the diff and transfer case are going to ride another time , they are both  pumped with grease 

so I am looking pretty good so far as parts go , have everything needed to put it back together 

5:15 and that bad weather that was suppose to arrive at 4:00 never hit yet 

16 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Pivot Works wheel bearings are kind of loose , might as well put a new set that  I got in and send the old ones for in  replacement  , this will be the first set of Pivot Works that I am changing and going for the warranty , heard you'll talking about AllBalls owning Pivot Works  , so I guess they will replace it with All Balls in a Pivot Works package , and hope they give the seals with the warranty , anyone know if the seals come with a warranty 

Pivotworks I've gotten in the past haven't had side seals.  They've been open on the sides like OEM bearings.  Looks like All Balls bought them out in 2016 and they've transitioned to All Balls bearings (with side seals) in Pivotworks packaging. 

Since you only get one replacement, which you'll use when you send your bearings in, there won't be any future warranty on the ones they send as replacements.

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Pivotworks I've gotten in the past haven't had side seals.  They've been open on the sides like OEM bearings.  Looks like All Balls bought them out in 2016 and they've transitioned to All Balls bearings (with side seals) in Pivotworks packaging. 

Since you only get one replacement, which you'll use when you send your bearings in, there won't be any future warranty on the ones they send as replacements.

When I said seals , I mean grease seals for the knuckles , the kits I have , which were from a  few years back , comes with the bearings and 4 seals for the knuckles , 2 inner and 2 outer for each side ------ there are no side seals on the bearings themselves and the bearings are pre-pack with that sticky good grease , maybe I should post a pick   

9 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

When I said seals , I mean grease seals for the knuckles , the kits I have , which were from a  few years back , comes with the bearings and 4 seals for the knuckles , 2 inner and 2 outer for each side ------ there are no side seals on the bearings themselves and the bearings are pre-pack with that sticky good grease , maybe I should post a pick   

fullsizeoutput_aff.jpeg

qUHJIR9dTH2oNidAI0FKOg.jpg

So from what you say they are sending side sealed bearings now days , on the front of a 300 I pull the side seals off and pack the knuckle as full as I can -------   once I get the old bearings out I am going to check for the Pivot Works embossment that I mentioned seeing in the past , and also check this set I have in the pic for the Pivot Works embossment  ----I got into it with Dick's about Pivot Works bearings , I think at one time they were better bearings , I need to go back on my blue 300 thread and see if I can find out how long ago I put that set in , they lasted a long time for me ------------  I need to find the receipt any ways  if I want to send them back cause that is one  requirement , a receipt , I remember getting them off e-bay super cheap , I think it was $29  a set I paid to a sub-dealer that was  liquidating stock , wish I had bought more than the 2 that I got that time , that kit  use to sell for $59 back when they first came out