Fishfiles

Honda TRX300FM 1992 1st gen

Got it all back together ,  it does turn better in 2wd ---------  we never rode yesterday , it started raining , helped my buddy with his rear end on his 300 

you can see the inner tire mark made he heaviest marks , 2wd the inner and 4wd the outer , not as much of a difference as I thought it was , but like I said this one is 5 inches longer wheel base and has shims in the front diff 

6B6YLXloQZmhrGfR6DnSbw.jpg

eVsWbndwScOSnrXPer2F2Q.jpg

• Like 2

It had rained a lot so the driveway was smooth , done  the 360 full turn circle in 4wd and then kicked out the 424 and in 2wd , it is 5 1/2 foot difference in a 360 degree circle ----that was going very slow , did it a few more times going faster and it is really a lot more when you are going faster as the wheels bite more in 4wd going faster and kind of do a skip for lack of a better word to describe it -----always knew it was better but never really measured it before 

• Like 2

I picked up some tires from my buddy yesterday , 4 Outback 30 x 10s for $240 , but they are for 14 inch rims , so I am in need of some 14 inch rims and want to stay with the deep dish offset rear look , so  I need 2+5 for the rear and either 4+3 or 5+2 in the front , not too sure on the front , then not too sure yet if I can even find 14 inch rims , 4-110 , in 2+5 rear and 4+3 or 5+2 front 

fullsizeoutput_b83.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

I picked up some tires from my buddy yesterday , 4 Outback 30 x 10s for $240 , but they are for 14 inch rims , so I am in need of some 14 inch rims and want to stay with the deep dish offset rear look , so  I need 2+5 for the rear and either 4+3 or 5+2 in the front , not too sure on the front , then not too sure yet if I can even find 14 inch rims , 4-110 , in 2+5 rear and 4+3 or 5+2 front 

fullsizeoutput_b83.jpeg

dang bro, you may as well just build a swamp buggy !..lol. 14 inch rims, with a 410 bolt pattern is going to be very, very hard to find to fit on your trx300fw !..lol.

You might be right Shade , looking like I bit off a bad one ----- gave myself a headache this morning looking for the right offset in a set  that I like , that are a good price ---- I can go with the same rim front and rear and get a great deal on some aluminum ITPs , a see lot of people do it , I am not a fan of how it looks , then I would be stacking up the spacers in the rear which is not a good thing , then that is going to make me wider which is a bad things on my trails ----  if I scrap the project , I am pretty sure I can get $300 for the 4 tires and make $60 on the deal , they don't have 5 rides on them and see they go for as high as $180 each , the Brute Force they came off of was swamped and left for a year un-flushed  and then parted out , the rims that were on them were 4-110s but the same off set and I really didn't like them so another friend bought the rims 

these were the rims that were on them , too blacked out for me , I like the aluminum look 

IMG_0679.JPG

I got freaked out this morning , sitting at the desk drinking coffee , look at my surveillance cameras and see the cover off my blue 300 laying on the ground and no bike , grab my shoes and run outside and the bike is gone , look over by the shed and there it was  , with the front wheels pigeon toed , both facing in , then I realized we rode last night  , I don't remember too much , must have had fun , got to get the details from my buddies , I do know I got a broken tie rod  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I must have had fun last night , broke a tie rod and bent the steering bar and not sure if I tore the cv-shaft boot or just squeezed some grease out of it when the rope got wrapped around 3 times  ---- got a little twig wrapped around the axle 

SD%8VLVrQ6yi4CheYDt3Zg.jpg

FmV%OuB7RpWtuD6i7b3r6A.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Broke the axle , bent the steering bar , broke the  tie rod end ---   go to check parts  inventory in the morning , I think it is the right side cv-shaft on a 1st gen 300 that is different , can't remember at the moment 

i9G89J3xQY+QZrFCqn4rQw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_c92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

thinking after the tie rod broke , the axle  broke on the tow home when the tow rope got wrapped around the wheel  3 times 

• Like 2

I have gone thru a lot of 300s , this 92 Blue  is my all time favorite , the 1st gen bikes are better , 2 inches extra length wheel base , and adding  a 3 inch swing arm extension makes a difference , add in the couple of extra horse power you get 

Never found time to look for another axle , so I rode the wife's 300 yesterday , it has a 90 engine and is a very nice running 300 , she has the 27 Swamplites and those tires do very well here in the clay 

RjL7YrFNRSypusownul2xg.jpg

• Like 3

Just a minor, routine inconvenience. Those parts break easy if you're having enough fun. 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Fun can get expensive , stupid even more so ! 

Better than being boring though!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Better than being boring though!

i'd rather be bored and money in my pocket, than poor and wrenching 24/7 !..rofl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ya it's a good life ... if you can get there ... i wouldn't know ...lol!   hm.... you do wrench just about 24/7 I've lost count at how many Hondas you've rebuild ... i know i missed out on a few .. but the ol pockets aren't  deep these days ...

I went and dug thru the spare parts shed and found a few front axles for this 300 , none were in very good condition , either dry cracks in the boots or lots of wear on the sealing ring , so I called Sixity on the phone , and they no longer have any 300 cv shaft , so I hunted e-bay , one guy has a OEM new shaft in the box for $400 , LOL ---- found quite a few used and new , went with new after market ATV Engineering LLC / Hardcore Parts , a set of left and right $100.50 free shipping 

5 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

I went and dug thru the spare parts shed and found a few front axles for this 300 , none were in very good condition , either dry cracks in the boots or lots of wear on the sealing ring , so I called Sixity on the phone , and they no longer have any 300 cv shaft , so I hunted e-bay , one guy has a OEM new shaft in the box for $400 , LOL ---- found quite a few used and new , went with new after market ATV Engineering LLC / Hardcore Parts , a set of left and right $100.50 free shipping 

haha..400 bucks huh ?, and just how bad do you want to keep from being bored ??. did you check over on power sports nation, and see if they had a used axle ?.

• Like 1

Anyone else noticed a spike in prices, new and used lately? 

You'd think we were seeing some massive inflation or something.  Guess when  you create a couple of trillion of out thin and and dump it on the population, it makes prices go up.  Whoda thunk it?

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

haha..400 bucks huh ?, and just how bad do you want to keep from being bored ??. did you check over on power sports nation, and see if they had a used axle ?.

PSN had some for $35 , didn't look too good ----went with  $50 each for new after market ---yep , the guy wants $400 for a new OEM in a busted up box , not me 

6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Anyone else noticed a spike in prices, new and used lately? 

You'd think we were seeing some massive inflation or something.  Guess when  you create a couple of trillion of out thin and and dump it on the population, it makes prices go up.  Whoda thunk it?

I think everything is going to jump in prices and availability is going to be a problem