Fishfiles

Honda TRX300FM 1992 1st gen

I dug up this pic with the 300 on the hoist dated  May 29, 2020 , broken left front cv-shaft outer  , that one broke  from the rope getting wrapped around the wheel while being towed home with a broken tie rod

well ,10 months later , I broke the same axle Saturday in a little hole that it didn't want to pull out of , right front tire was up against a root trying to climb out   , buddy told me it didn't look like my left front was turning , I got them shims in my front diff and both tires spin 95% of the time ------- this evening I jacked it up and sure enough  it broke that left front axle , it was a new aftermarket axle , Celox  was the brand  of that one , use to buy Sixity but they no longer have the 300 cv-shafts , neither does Honda by model and year , they still sell 1/2 shafts for 2nd gen up , my right axle is still Sixity  ----------- some say all 300 axles are the same from 88-2000 , I use to always hear one axle  is different on the first gen 300s , but I can't remember which one , will have to look back  thru info -----    my 92 left front does have a different part number ,  I ordered another Celox just now that matches that left part number , but not the right side part number , confusing , eh 

image.png

91Y%ZDJKRFGdt5Niynabsw.jpg

I turned off the highway coming home yesterday evening and the FedEx truck turned right behind me and followed me home , ordered that axle like Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday , wish it always went that way

Was looking at my broken axle and saved the last one I broke and dug it out  , each one broke the opposite end , might be able to make one out the two , they look very similar , but one is a Sixity and the other a Celox  , guess I would know till they were taking apart 

• Like 3

Sac'Ra'Blue rides again , it takes 45 minutes to change an axle , when everything goes right , cv-shaft came out with one swing of the maul -----   then filled her with gas and a shot of Sea Foam , checked the oil , greased the diffs and transfer case , she is ready to roll 4x4 

Best way to pop an axle out is with a piece of synthetic rope and a hammer , choke the end around the base of the cv-shaft at the diff and the other end around the base of the maul and swing the maul like a golf club 

x0Uh+XkiS2yF6Dux0NBtSQ.jpg

MSOw+3KKS1G+WdvE8mfFFA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_e70.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Goober said:

That’s pretty slick, FF! ima ‘member dat

Your talking about popping the cv-shaft out the diff with a maul and rope ? ----------  didn't mention ,  the synthetic rope works about  the best ,  better than other ropes , especially nylon  which has a lot of spring to it  ,   cause the  winch rope doesn't stretch as  much ---- 

I use the ratchet strap method but it takes a bit to set it up right. Like the hammer idea. I could tell my kids it's a game and whoever pops it first gets a prize

Yikes Fish! Learn how to tie a bowline. You'll never get that knot undone 

Yesterday started out  good , I made a platform out of an aluminum tool box lid for my ice chest to sit on ,  as the plywood I had it on was starting to rot out >>>  after about 15 minutes of riding I heard a tap/knock , and my buddy said he saw some smoke from the exhaust , made a pit stop and checked the oil level and it was just a tad under the line , told the crew to go on with out me  and I was going to heading back , by the time I got back to the yard , she was knocking and smoking  more , time for a rebuild ---- I think it is the crank/connecting rod 

8l+HEPN3QvG1Ff7DyRYHVQ.jpg

• Like 4

cleaned up another transfer case inside and out  ,  primed it with self-etching primer ,  then painted it silver , got new seals for it once it dries 

afdMi03uTGK5gRuJV+NLgw.jpg

• Like 4