DuckOfDeath

My new boat

2 hours ago, Bighanded said:

here's my ol gal...ready for her final shakedown this week...swapped the original 305 (5.0) for a 350 (5.7)  4bbl, built from ground up and claims to be pounding out about an additional 90hp...instead of the 40ish OEM specs....extra umph enables me to put a more aggressive pitch prop on there as well...first test ride she was much more efficient at cruising speed and came up out of the hole as if it was a simple act...all new wiring/connections..20 years of moisture will create a lot of wire gremlins.

foot needed new gimbal, impeller kit, etc...yep...lots of TLC was long overdue..including new upholstry...but buying a new boat in this class...too painful to even consider..and at my age...the plan is to have no debt..so boat payments aren't an option.

DD2sternview.jpeg

DD2Starboard_LI.jpg

very nice !!!, yeah, debts on new stuff ?..haha..no thanks !. when i bought all my newish toys ?, i paid cash, OTD, no payments !. my jey ski ( '15 ), my outboard merc ( '10 ), and my boat ( '10 ), was all bought with cash, that sales man asked, how are we financing it today ?, i said..umm..nope..sorry..its cash, ya shoulda seen the look on his face !..lol.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

very nice !!!, yeah, debts on new stuff ?..haha..no thanks !. when i bought all my newish toys ?, i paid cash, OTD, no payments !. my jey ski ( '15 ), my outboard merc ( '10 ), and my boat ( '10 ), was all bought with cash, that sales man asked, how are we financing it today ?, i said..umm..nope..sorry..its cash, ya shoulda seen the look on his face !..lol.

yeah... I've enjoyed those looks when I tell them I'll be writing them a check or using my card...for things like another cargo van for work.. I used to buy off-lease vans, 100k on the odometer...and just hand them my debit card....but for my toys.. over the past decade....if I wanted a toy, it had to be something I could pay cash for and not feel like I was robbing from the rent money.

my motorbike is a 79 CT90

ATV '93 Fourtrax

jon boat '87

camper travel trailer '96

the big boat in this thread  '99

90% of my firearms,archery, guitars, amps, etc have all been used.

all good quality rigs...and i expect they'll outlive/outlast me at this point.

• Like 1

Nice looking boats in this thread.  I've canoed down the Spring River a few times, didn't realize anyone took anything other than rafts and canoes on those rivers up there LOL.

When I was younger I spent every weekend on the water.  Trashed my knees jumping kneeboards.  Always said I'd have a boat when I got older, but now that I'm older I can't stand being on the water.  Too many people, most of whom are idiots.  We go out with friends occasionally, but a pleasure boat is not in my future.

I have a lightweight Duracraft 12ft jon boat that gets tossed in the truck bed that was my great uncles back in the 50's, and a 14" jon boat that's a lot heavier (live well, casting deck up front) that stays on a trailer.  A different great uncle gave me a 6HP Evinrude that I think is probably from the late 60's, and I have a late 70's 9.9 Evinrude with a 15HP carb on it.  As with most of my stuff, I like old, simple stuff.

I primarily used the smaller boat for a duck boat, and the 14 foot for fishing.  Haven't fished in two years now.  My older girls turned girly on me, and the baby will be awhile before I can take her.

agree Jeep....I make every effort to avoid the lakes on holidays...between idiots at the boat ramps, tons of boat wakes, and harrasment by multiple LEO units...on our closest lake we bridge 3 counties and 2 states, so on busy holidays, we'll have DNR, county and city police all wanting to stop you to check for safety gear, booze, etc...i always have all gear, and never drink on the boat..

I usually get talked into taking the boat out for July 4th...worst time...but we find an anchor point early, have KFC onboard for a nice dinner, etc..and then are just patient after the show is over and let the majority of folks try to leave the area first.

when I'm down in the ocean, we have dockage at the house so I don't have to hassle with boat ramp morons..but if I do the lake..yeah...I'll usually drop the family and grandkids off earlier at a different dock, restaurant etc...so they can get home, then the wife and I motor on down river to a more remote ramp..but then it's usually only a dozen boats wanting to get out...the one ramp is funny cause it's part of a state park, so the campers will literally line their golf carts up and just sit and watch the entertainment..it's always that guy who has made his wife helpless...he has to bring the boat to dock, tie it off in the way, walk up to the truck, get in line for his turn to back it down, while other boaters have to move carefully around his boat and his poor wife sits there like a lump in the boat...then he finally backs the trailer in, and has to come to the boat, untie, trailer it, get out, pull the truck up...forever !!!!    my wife and I are a team...upon initial approach, she's at the helm, I get to the nose of the boat, she noses up to the dock end, I hop off and she backs out into the water to wait our turn.. I go get the truck, back it down, she drives right up on the trailer, I hook and pull it out...the golf cart folks literally do score cards and have applauded us before...it's funny...but that's the way it should be...same on launch...she's already in the boat, I back it down, unhook her, she starts and pulls off and waits out in the water until I park and come to the doc for pickup...but to your point..yeah...plenty of frustration to be had when enough people get out there...laughed my butt off one day...there was a bass tourney and there were several family boaters waiting their turn to launch.. I was like 3 back, when this bass boat guy comes pulling around everyone..quickly backs it down the ramp with his buddy in the boat and then pulls off...we're sitting there thinking.. WTF?  dude...and then, we see his buddy in the boat panicing...guess who was in such a hurry that he forgot to put the plug in..that big old 200+hp motor was sinking that sleek little bass boat really fast...we all just smiled as the two of them cussed n fussed and panic'd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Nice looking boats in this thread.  I've canoed down the Spring River a few times, didn't realize anyone took anything other than rafts and canoes on those rivers up there LOL.

I use my kayak below dam 3 to Hardy but boats work above dam 3 and a few miles below Hardy all the way to the Black River. Especially with a jet drive.

Edited by DuckOfDeath

Interesting seeing a jet-drive on a outboard. That is new to me. All I have seen is prop drive.

I laughed when you guys were paying for toys ETC with cash and not financing it. I am also this way. Last year a van came up for sale and I wanted to upgrade mine. Payed cash. My dirtbike and ATV I both payed cash for them. Also last winter I went away to the Dominican. Payed for my trip before getting on the plane. I make ok $$$ and don't throw it around at stupid stuff. I like to use my BBQ so I don't eat out too often.

A have seen people buy stuff that they can not afford... OUCH.

Sorry. Back to boats.  🙂

19 minutes ago, Big Bird said:

Interesting seeing a jet-drive on a outboard. That is new to me. All I have seen is prop drive.

I laughed when you guys were paying for toys ETC with cash and not financing it. I am also this way. Last year a van came up for sale and I wanted to upgrade mine. Payed cash. My dirtbike and ATV I both payed cash for them. Also last winter I went away to the Dominican. Payed for my trip before getting on the plane. I make ok $$$ and don't throw it around at stupid stuff. I like to use my BBQ so I don't eat out too often.

A have seen people buy stuff that they can not afford... OUCH.

Sorry. Back to boats.  🙂

jet drives on out board motors has been around for a very long time, first time i seen one was about 1996 , 1997 on a mercury.

agree Jeep....I make every effort to avoid the lakes on holidays...between idiots at the boat ramps, tons of boat wakes, and harrasment by multiple LEO units...on our closest lake we bridge 3 counties and 2 states, so on busy holidays, we'll have DNR, county and city police all wanting to stop you to check for safety gear, booze, etc...i always have all gear, and never drink on the boat..

I usually get talked into taking the boat out for July 4th...worst time...but we find an anchor point early, have KFC onboard for a nice dinner, etc..and then are just patient after the show is over and let the majority of folks try to leave the area first.

when I'm down in the ocean, we have dockage at the house so I don't have to hassle with boat ramp morons..but if I do the lake..yeah...I'll usually drop the family and grandkids off earlier at a different dock, restaurant etc...so they can get home, then the wife and I motor on down river to a more remote ramp..but then it's usually only a dozen boats wanting to get out...the one ramp is funny cause it's part of a state park, so the campers will literally line their golf carts up and just sit and watch the entertainment..it's always that guy who has made his wife helpless...he has to bring the boat to dock, tie it off in the way, walk up to the truck, get in line for his turn to back it down, while other boaters have to move carefully around his boat and his poor wife sits there like a lump in the boat...then he finally backs the trailer in, and has to come to the boat, untie, trailer it, get out, pull the truck up...forever !!!!    my wife and I are a team...upon initial approach, she's at the helm, I get to the nose of the boat, she noses up to the dock end, I hop off and she backs out into the water to wait our turn.. I go get the truck, back it down, she drives right up on the trailer, I hook and pull it out...the golf cart folks literally do score cards and have applauded us before...it's funny...but that's the way it should be...same on launch...she's already in the boat, I back it down, unhook her, she starts and pulls off and waits out in the water until I park and come to the doc for pickup...but to your point..yeah...plenty of frustration to be had when enough people get out there...laughed my butt off one day...there was a bass tourney and there were several family boaters waiting their turn to launch.. I was like 3 back, when this bass boat guy comes pulling around everyone..quickly backs it down the ramp with his buddy in the boat and then pulls off...we're sitting there thinking.. WTF?  dude...and then, we see his buddy in the boat panicing...guess who was in such a hurry that he forgot to put the plug in..that big old 200+hp motor was sinking that sleek little bass boat really fast...we all just smiled as the two of them cussed n fussed and panic'd.

yep... I am trying to remember how far back it's been that I saw the jet outdrives on our stern drive rigs and it wasn't long after that I saw them on outboards as well...had thought about it at one point cause we had been doing more boating down in central Fla...Crystal River etc..and worry about scarring up the manatees...some folks were good to put cages around the props and that seemed the best solution vs shelling out the bucks for a jet drive..but if you've ever hit that log just under the surface and broke off a blade on the prop..it'll pretty much ruin the day.. I keep a couple spares on board, but still, have to limp over to shore, get in the water and do the swap out...and you're out $120-$180 real fast....super cool to see that 50hp hanging on the back of your new boat like that...

Growing up some of the local folks had jet boats.  One was an old Glastron that looked like a James Bond boat.  Guy had swapped in a 455 Olds and that thing would scoot, but man it drank the gas.  We dropped $80 on a full day at the lake, and that was when gas was a buck a gallon.

Some of the local version of "Those Duke boys" had an old tri-hull jet boat.  Their dad had put a 460 in it at some point, but it had been sitting out for a long time so the seats and upholstery were GONE.  We took it out on the river to see how it would run, sitting on 5 gallon buckets, most in jorts, and with the boat sputtering and spitting away from the ramp.  Looked like the river version of the Beverly Hillbillies.  We rolled up and down the bay a couple of times, and the oldest brother says "Man, this thing ain't running worth a crap" and pulled the motor cover up to look at the engine.  The boat took off, jerking the rope out of the hands of one of the younger brother's hands who was behind on a kneeboard, and throwing another off the back of the boat.  Apparently it wasn't getting enough air LOL.

We propped the back of the motor cover up with a 2x4, and for comedy relief every once and awhile one of them would yell "Hitting the turbo!" and pull the motor cover up. 

Good times!

• Haha 1

thought about this thread yesterday ( and the weath thread as well..grin)  did a final shakedown ride on my boat with the new 5.7 in it...temps were in the low 50s, but a very pretty day...standing around at the dock, it felt great..on the water at speed...tad on the chilly side at WOT, but oh man was it a nice run...boat motor checked out, paid that man for his great work and brought it back home...Sunday at this time of year, there was one other boat on the lake...come May...you'd be waiting to get on the ramp behind 15 other boats...

11 minutes ago, Bighanded said:

thought about this thread yesterday ( and the weath thread as well..grin)  did a final shakedown ride on my boat with the new 5.7 in it...temps were in the low 50s, but a very pretty day...standing around at the dock, it felt great..on the water at speed...tad on the chilly side at WOT, but oh man was it a nice run...boat motor checked out, paid that man for his great work and brought it back home...Sunday at this time of year, there was one other boat on the lake...come May...you'd be waiting to get on the ramp behind 15 other boats...

Sounds good,bet it was a chilly ride.Got my 96 Mercury 150 EFI started yesterday at home,ready to go after some catfish.

I received my new trolling motor and started to install it Saturday. I was planning to take it out afterwards but hit a snag on the installation. Minn Kota neglected to include the tie down strap and I needed to order a plug that will work with the receptical already on the boat. Wasn't all that warm anyways so I wasn't too disappointed.

6 minutes ago, DuckOfDeath said:

I received my new trolling motor and started to install it Saturday. I was planning to take it out afterwards but hit a snag on the installation. Minn Kota neglected to include the tie down strap and I needed to order a plug that will work with the receptical already on the boat. Wasn't all that warm anyways so I wasn't too disappointed.

What model Minn Kota did you get?

58 minutes ago, riverc said:

Sounds good,bet it was a chilly ride.Got my 96 Mercury 150 EFI started yesterday at home,ready to go after some catfish.

big ol catfish fillets..yeah baby...still some of my favorite!!..don't need no fancy fish...maybe a stuffed flounder on occassion, but good meaty catfish...all day long!

1 hour ago, riverc said:

she was cold starting...cruising no-wake through the marina docks and out of the cove...so pleasant out there...but my rig doesn't have windshields..it's a very open platform as you can see from my earlier pic post...it's wonderful when it's warm, but brother...50mph on the water yesterday...yeah...hard to ignore, even enjoying the feeling of riding...at least I had a jacket on..my mechanic was out there in shorts and a t-shirt... (a real man-LOL)

I only know one guy with a jet up here. Does alot of river running. The rest of us try to fish the 10,000 lakes we have. There are 1,000 in our county alone. I don't like crowds so we fish in Ontario alot too. I fish mostly walleye, crappie, lake trout, sturgeon and occasionally big pike but release the pike and sturgeon.

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

Edited by PROV
  • Like 2

Nice looking fish! I lived in Plymouth, MN from ages 11-15. Could drag my dad's old Jon boat to 3 different lakes. Best fishing lake Ive ever known exploded with crappie, bass, and northern in the short time I was there. So much so the last winter I was there they used up all the O2 and died. It must have happened to the lake across the street because we didn't start catching fish until my last year there.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, riverc said:

purty lil fish...round here we call that 'bait'   GRIN...no..seriously...that's some nice fish!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PROV said:

I only know one guy with a jet up here. Does alot of river running. The rest of us try to fish the 10,000 lakes we have. There are 1,000 in our county alone. I don't like crowds so we fish in Ontario alot too. I fish mostly walleye, crappie, lake trout, sturgeon and occasionally big pike but release the pike and sturgeon.

IMG_0699.JPG

IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

nice pictures,loved catching those size lakers on Blue Mesa in Gunnison Colorado.Used to get them trolling with downriggers from 30 to 80' depending on time of year.

4 minutes ago, riverc said:

nice pictures,loved catching those size lakers on Blue Mesa in Gunnison Colorado.Used to get them trolling with downriggers from 30 to 80' depending on time of year.

I've done that at the lake near my house. Biggest I got was 16#.

I always preferred jigging for Lakers, or trolling with a 3-way swivel and about 4oz of weight and a Red-Eye.  I like to be holding the rod when they strike. Never caught as many that way but always have a blast

I jig for them in the winter but the lake by me isn't loaded with them so I down rig. Fun fight with no added weight though.

you guys are talkin too fancy for me...we just shove some shrimp, or a piece of old squid onto a hook, drop 3 or 4 poles into their holders, sit back and enjoy a beer and wait for that little reel clicker  to start screaming.

• Like 1