Louis

Low voltage to fuel pump

6 hours ago, Louis said:

I tried taking a video last night but I couldn't post it

You can't upload your vids directly to our forum due to the massive storage requirements for video hosting. Videos have to be uploaded onto Youtube or other video sites first, then you can post those links here.

Hi: Before you do anything else -- put your meter on the DC scale and place it on the battery and try starting the bike while looking at the meter -- give it a good try to start it. --- What did the meter read?

I haven't had a chance to doing anything with it due to getting home so late from work. I'll get back at it and let you know as soon as I get the chance. 

Don't put this in chat!  Keep it here, because at some point someone is going to have the same issues and these are great troubleshooting instructions.

• Like 1

Melatv, I tried that and it shows 12.5v on the battery and when I try starting it, it drops down to 11.1v.

Retro, I also tested voltage at the ignition coil. I'm not getting any voltage when trying to start it 

Hi: Charge your battery up -- do this -- take a jumper wire bare both ends -- shove one end of the wire in under the Bl/R wire connector on the Ign. coil (leave the connector on the Ign. coil) -- other end of the jumper wire just touch it on the positive post of the battery -- Turn the key on and try starting the bike

I keep it on a battery tender. I tried jumping it but still no change

Have you got everything connected back up on the bike? When you shove the jumper wire in a long side the Bl/R connector on the Ign. coil what voltage do your get there when starting the bike. ( Voltage on the coil)

I made sure everything is back connected. With the red side of the meter on the bl/rd wire on the ignition coil and the black on the battery ground, I get right at 13v. With both connected to the ignition coil, it shows -0.2mv when turning the engine over. That is with the jumper from the battery to it also

You are getting 13 VDC Bl/R on ign. coil with the jumper on also and nothing with the jumper off??

With the positive wire of the meter on the hot side of the ignition coil and the ground side of the meter on the negative battery terminal it shows about 13v. With the ground side of the meter on the ground of the ignition coil it shows no voltage. The jumper makes no difference. Is that clear as mud lol

• Like 1

With the key on -- Meter on DCV -- place the black lead of meter on neg. of battery -- shove the red lead of meter in along side the Bl/R connector on the ign. coil you should read 12 VDC -- if you do read 12 VDC -- then move the red meter lead and shove it in the G/Y connector -- you read 12 VDC or lower. (leave the Black meter lead on the neg. of battery at all times)

Now that you have 12 VDC on the Ign. coil -- test voltage on the BL/R wire on the Ign. coil (just shove the red lead in along side the Bl/R wire -- Black lead on neg. of Battery) when you try starting hold start button in to get a good reading -- if get 12 VDC there -- Turn off key -- unplug the Gray connector on PCM and put your meter on the Ohm scale test between the Bu/Y & G/W wire on the harness side -- the meter should read around 140 Ohms

I'm getting at most 10.4V on the black/red wire while turning it over

When ohming the 2 wires you said, It searches between 4 and 9 ohms while trying to start it. I had to use wires in the plug because the holes are too small for the leads.

20200228_193826.jpg

20200228_193440.jpg

20200228_193442.jpg

9 hours ago, Melatv said:

Now that you have 12 VDC on the Ign. coil -- test voltage on the BL/R wire on the Ign. coil (just shove the red lead in along side the Bl/R wire -- Black lead on neg. of Battery) when you try starting hold start button in to get a good reading -- if get 12 VDC there -- Turn off key -- unplug the Gray connector on PCM and put your meter on the Ohm scale test between the Bu/Y & G/W wire on the harness side -- the meter should read around 140 Ohms

I think he was just trying to get you to energize it for the test, not to test that part while turning it over.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Louis said:

I'm getting at most 10.4V on the black/red wire while turning it over

Your Bike will never start with 10.4 volts  --- get your battery tested or use another battery.

Never turn the key on when using your meter on the Ohms scale 

(KEY OFF) Now unplug the Alternator connector --  meter on the Ohms scale -- on the connector side going to the Alternator place one meter lead on the Bu/Y and the other meter lead on the G/W wire -- what is the Ohm reading?

17 minutes ago, Louis said:

When ohming the 2 wires you said, It searches between 4 and 9 ohms while trying to start it. I had to use wires in the plug because the holes are too small for the leads.   

20200228_193826.jpg

20200228_193440.jpg

20200228_193442.jpg

Never turn the key on when using your meter on the Ohms scale

• Like 2

Do this -- take your test meter -- put it on the Ohms scale -- touch the R & B leads together -- meter should read Zero. Did it??

Test to do again unplug the fuel pump -- shove the Red meter lead in along side the Bl/R connector on the Ign. coil -- Black meter lead on the neg. of battery -- key on --what is the DC volt reading when try to start.